Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/23/2017, 07:46 AM   #1
LinkinReef
Registered Member

Help me decide on this lens

So I will finally be buying a DSLR for myself today or tomorrow. I'm looking into getting a Canon 80D. I'll be using it for reef photography and more for every day portrait and landscale pictures(I love hiking). Best buy has a bundle option to add a 55-250 telephoto lens for $150 when it's normally $300.

Is the lens worth it to add this lens for landscape photos for the price?

Unread 11/23/2017, 09:52 AM   #2
Misled
RC Mod

It may be ok for you when you're out hiking, but it won't work for taking pics of your tank. It is also considered a "kit" lens. Not to say it's bad, but it won't compare with higher end lenses.

Unread 11/23/2017, 10:20 AM   #3
billdogg
Registered Member

And Jesse knows!

Take a look at B&H photo and other similar sites for a better selection. If you are trying to save a little but still want a nice lens, think Sigma and/or Tamron. I have a Sigma 50mm macro that has taken some very nice pictures for me. For your tank, I would look at a 100mm.

jm.02

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2017, 11:59 AM   #4
Kevin Guthrie
Registered Member

I have a Canon full frame 100mm macro. Its excellent at what it does, but stick with a zoom lens if you can, they are way easier to set up a shot with. High end lenses have more light gathering power but at those F stops the field of view is almost useless.

Kevin Guthrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2017, 12:09 PM   #5
Misled
RC Mod

So I'll splain a little more since the roast is now in the crockpot. First, the other lens that comes with the original kit, (I'd imagine it comes with a 18-55 or 18 -120 or something like that), would be better for shooting your tank or shooting landscapes. For some reasons, I'll say partly because of "minimum focusing distance". The 18-55 will be somewhere in the few inch range, the 70-250 in the few feet range. Trying to get pics of a tank will want you to be as close to the glass as possible. You may be able to add "extension tubes" to get closer, but the inherent problems of having cheaper glass in a kit lens will show, (though that is one of the less expensive ways to go).

Most of us end up with "true" macro lenses for shooting the tank. Most of the close-ups you see on here are shot with these. These are prime lenses, (only two exceptions I can think of), which means they don't zoom.

Now you should know I'm speaking from the Nikon side. I can't say much about specific Canon lenses, though I do know, you get what you pay for. Bill above shoots with Canon, IIRC, but I also have an old Sigma 50mm macro in my collection. It's a wonderful lens. Photography is a lot like reefing. Sooner or later, if you stay with it, you'll buy better lenses. Visit the photography forum. We play games to help people .

Unread 11/23/2017, 07:01 PM   #6
Kevin Guthrie
Registered Member

Should have said depth of field is useless, not field of view.

Agree with @Misled. Thing is, not sure if a macro is the best choice for 2nd lens - might make more sense to find a good macro zoom to replace the kit lens.

Kevin Guthrie is offline   Reply With Quote