Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/06/2017, 08:30 AM   #776
bif24701
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosmos View Post
If I'm right, matrix and siporax are close the same, some people use one or another deppending personal opinons or if is easy to obtain.

But, why to mix matrix and siporax? Like Sharin, he's using both at the same time...

thanks

Carlos

Why not. Is there any reason not to use two or three or more types of LR?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kessil AP700/ MP60+6105
Kalk+2 part/ Cheato Fuge

Current Tank Info: 180 SPS Dominant
bif24701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2017, 09:08 AM   #777
carlosmos
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bif24701 View Post
Why not. Is there any reason not to use two or three or more types of LR?

Not, of course! Only to know why. Any advantage?

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

carlosmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2017, 09:14 AM   #778
bif24701
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosmos View Post
Not, of course! Only to know why. Any advantage?

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

I think it's the application. Siporax should be placed to allow flow through and around it without collecting detritus. Matrix can be more passive and kept in bags or baskets. They both achieve the same goal. No real advantage to use both at the same time.

Kessil AP700/ MP60+6105
Kalk+2 part/ Cheato Fuge

Unread 02/06/2017, 09:16 AM   #779
ReefKeeper64
Wanna be a reefkeeper

Siporax, when stacked tall and in a relatively low flow area, creates anaerobic zones. When stacked that way it's also lower maintenance as detritus is easier to gently shake out during cleanings.

Unread 02/06/2017, 06:12 PM   #780
AkoAung
aka -iDestroya-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefKeeper64 View Post
You mentioned siporax, matrix, etc.
--Which media are you using?
--How much?
--Total water volume of your system?
I got 11L of matrix, 1 inch sand and probably 30-40lbs of live rock. in a total water volume of 40G US frag tank, sump skimmer 200micron sock with 5 small fishes. Yes overkill with biological filtration by intent so it can handle any spikes in nutrients. I agree with other poster. when I dosed nitrates it sucked out phos dry. phos coming back. PE not coming back yet. LPS and clam looking better coincidentally.

AkoAung is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2017, 10:43 PM   #781
ReefKeeper64
Wanna be a reefkeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkoAung View Post
I got 11L of matrix, 1 inch sand and probably 30-40lbs of live rock. in a total water volume of 40G US frag tank, sump skimmer 200micron sock with 5 small fishes. Yes overkill with biological filtration by intent so it can handle any spikes in nutrients. I agree with other poster. when I dosed nitrates it sucked out phos dry. phos coming back. PE not coming back yet. LPS and clam looking better coincidentally.
That is one heck of a powerful biological filtration system you have going for your water volume and small bioload. Fortunately you are in a good position to make a couple of simple adjustments.

If you feed more then you will add both nitrate and phosphate. This will help you to get back to a more desirable NO3=5 and PO4=.03.

If your water is consistently too ULN you can also remove 3L of Siporax from your sump. You water will stay dirtier a little longer and your system will balance easier.

Funny, most reefers would like to have a tank that is ULN like yours. The pendulum has swung the other way.😁

Unread 02/12/2017, 06:17 PM   #782
AkoAung
aka -iDestroya-

Quote:
That is one heck of a powerful biological filtration system you have going for your water volume and small bioload. Fortunately you are in a good position to make a couple of simple adjustments.

If you feed more then you will add both nitrate and phosphate. This will help you to get back to a more desirable NO3=5 and PO4=.03.

If your water is consistently too ULN you can also remove 3L of Siporax from your sump. You water will stay dirtier a little longer and your system will balance easier.

Funny, most reefers would like to have a tank that is ULN like yours. The pendulum has swung the other way.😁
Feeding more. Decided to pull out about 5L of matrix. 6L is more than enough. Also dismantled the slow flow matrix contraption for phos reduction. We'll see how it goes.

Unread 02/14/2017, 09:56 AM   #783
bif24701
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkoAung View Post
Feeding more. Decided to pull out about 5L of matrix. 6L is more than enough. Also dismantled the slow flow matrix contraption for phos reduction. We'll see how it goes.
I have a big skimmer, filter sock, 2 MarinePure blocks, 100 pounds high quality rock, cheato, GAC. I have found that unless I add NO3 and PO4 directly they will never rise no matter how much I seem to feed. I dosed potassium nitrate and Seachem Florish Phosphorus to bring the numbers where I wanted them and they hold right there really well. Everything has been great since

Kessil AP700/ MP60+6105
Kalk+2 part/ Cheato Fuge

Unread 02/14/2017, 09:40 PM   #784
AkoAung
aka -iDestroya-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bif24701 View Post
I have a big skimmer, filter sock, 2 MarinePure blocks, 100 pounds high quality rock, cheato, GAC. I have found that unless I add NO3 and PO4 directly they will never rise no matter how much I seem to feed. I dosed potassium nitrate and Seachem Florish Phosphorus to bring the numbers where I wanted them and they hold right there really well. Everything has been great since
any dosing ratio tips? while Acans and the clam seems really happy everything else has gone superpale, no PE from acros, and zoas are only half open and not looking happy.

Unread 03/05/2017, 03:35 PM   #785
drawman
Registered Member

So I've seen Siporax being sold by drsfostersmith and marineandreef but they list it in ounces not mL/L. It's being sold as 5.1oz and 10.2oz. Does anyone know how this would compare to one liter of siporax? I'm assuming they mean ounces in weight and not fluid ounces...

Current tanks:
30 gallon rimless, G2 radion, Vertex 130, MP10w
60 gallon rimless, G3 radion, Vertex 130, MP40QD
drawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2017, 12:36 AM   #786
ReefKeeper64
Wanna be a reefkeeper

Check eBay for siporax sold in bulk at deep discount from the U.K. That's what I did.

Unread 03/08/2017, 05:55 PM   #787
perkint
Registered Member

I would think Paul at AAC online would ship it international

If mentioning that is not within sponsor rules, I apologise mods, please delete (and point me to the rules!).

Tim

perkint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/04/2017, 09:52 AM   #788
spkennyva
Registered Member

Anyone cleaned their siporax? Mine has been in about 2 years and my nitrates have really jumped up over the past few months. I'm starting to wonder if my siporax has lost its effectiveness. No other changes have been made.

spkennyva is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/04/2017, 10:52 AM   #789
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

I did it by moving my siporax box vigorously up and down while the box was still in sump water. A lot of muck was released into the water column, which I then pumped out of my sump.

A few days later I tested nitrates. They went down from 2.5-5 ppm down to 0.5-1 ppm. Subsequent cleaning sessions I carried out afterwards did not affect nitrate readings.

I have decided to repeat this cleaning process once in a while (perhaps once every six months to one year).

65G SPS Reef- ATI 8 X 39W PM; TM [Bacto-Balance A-; Reef Actif; Nitribiotic; Iodine]
DiscusHeckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/04/2017, 11:28 AM   #790
spkennyva
Registered Member

Thanks for the input. Mine went from barely detectable for almost 2 years to around 50-75 (maybe higher, as salifert gets hard to read once things are really high). Again, with no other changes. I'm starting to get concerned as I've lost a few nice sps pieces. The odd thing is that I don't have any nuisance algae to go with the higher nitrates.

spkennyva is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/04/2017, 11:42 AM   #791
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

[QUOTE=spkennyva;25033493The odd thing is that I don't have any nuisance algae to go with the higher nitrates.[/QUOTE]

Algae thrive on high phosphates. Have you measured your phosphates recently?
If they are really low, then perhaps your system is phosphate limited.

65G SPS Reef- ATI 8 X 39W PM; TM [Bacto-Balance A-; Reef Actif; Nitribiotic; Iodine]
DiscusHeckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/09/2017, 07:26 AM   #792
Rick55555
Registered Member

Good Morning,

Given the number of people who are running siporax without a reactor, I am wondering whether Reefvet, Sahin or anyone else has commented on whether running siporax in a reactor is not necessarily more efficient than running siporax in a sump, such as in a basket or DIY egg crate box.

For instance, I am wondering whether the active/passive distinction is less significant with siporax (which would seem to make sense) than it is with carbon or GFO.

Thanks,
Rick

Rick55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/10/2017, 06:51 AM   #793
watchguy123
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick55555 View Post
Good Morning,

Given the number of people who are running siporax without a reactor, I am wondering whether Reefvet, Sahin or anyone else has commented on whether running siporax in a reactor is not necessarily more efficient than running siporax in a sump, such as in a basket or DIY egg crate box.

For instance, I am wondering whether the active/passive distinction is less significant with siporax (which would seem to make sense) than it is with carbon or GFO.

Thanks,
Rick
I think you raise some great thoughts. My guess and that is all that it is, I presume most keep siporax outside of a reactor and find it incredibly effective at nitrate reduction.

I think it would be so helpful to understand more about advantages if any with a reactor and to also understand how flow rates in or out of a reactor effect its nitrate reducing potential. It seems that low flow rates might improve performance dramatically but as far as I know the evidence is empirical.

watchguy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/10/2017, 10:01 AM   #794
Pife
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchguy123 View Post
I think you raise some great thoughts. My guess and that is all that it is, I presume most keep siporax outside of a reactor and find it incredibly effective at nitrate reduction.

I think it would be so helpful to understand more about advantages if any with a reactor and to also understand how flow rates in or out of a reactor effect its nitrate reducing potential. It seems that low flow rates might improve performance dramatically but as far as I know the evidence is empirical.

I have some just sitting in a basket in my sump. I might stack it up in a reactor and test the output...

I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ 12 ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 70 Return ~
Pife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/10/2017, 01:14 PM   #795
watchguy123
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pife View Post
I have some just sitting in a basket in my sump. I might stack it up in a reactor and test the output...
On the siporax website I believe I read that it suggests a low flow area, perhaps like in a refugium or a reactor, the effect may be greater due to allowing for a more anaerobic environment.

watchguy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/10/2017, 02:01 PM   #796
2una
Registered Member

Yeah its in their FAQ here
https://www.sera.de/en/service/faq/f...d2282814cb09df

Quote:
There is, however, another way: a separate slow flux filter in addition to the normal biofilter. This filter (a passive bypass system is OK) should then hold 2 liters sera siporax Professional, with a water flow rate of only 1 − 2 liters (no typing error!) per hour. This setup will produce virtually nitrate-free water.
Around that 33 ml/min mark is also where my denitrator runs at with mv @ -170 - 5ppm no3 in & 0ppm out , that's using bioballs & there's a lot of bacteria slime inside that i don't think would go well with siporax

2una is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2017, 05:37 AM   #797
ReefKeeper64
Wanna be a reefkeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2una View Post
Yeah its in their FAQ here
https://www.sera.de/en/service/faq/f...d2282814cb09df

Around that 33 ml/min mark is also where my denitrator runs at with mv @ -170 - 5ppm no3 in & 0ppm out , that's using bioballs & there's a lot of bacteria slime inside that i don't think would go well with siporax
Siporax provides significantly more surface area for bacteria growth. So given the same volume of media, Siporax will provide more nitrate reduction than bioballs. Siporax also won't clog easily as some medias can.

Unread 09/14/2017, 04:22 PM   #798
2una
Registered Member

Quote:
Siporax provides significantly more surface area for bacteria growth. So given the same volume of media, Siporax will provide more nitrate reduction than bioballs. Siporax also won't clog easily as some medias can.
Yeah i just don't see it going too well in this sort of environment....

If i don't get this denitrator into a happy/stable mode i'll be giving the siporax a try but run flow not so slow to try stay away from whats happening in there.
At the moment it looks like the lion can be tamed by how much carbons being dosed but still some time needed to see if that's going to work.

2una is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2017, 10:37 PM   #799
ReefKeeper64
Wanna be a reefkeeper

It can be fun to experiment and try different things. I dose nitrate to keep levels in check at 1.0 - 2.5. I have a lot of Siporax. 25 liters in fact for just a 160gal system. It's sold as 25L package on eBay.

Unread 11/03/2017, 06:34 AM   #800
codydemmel4
Registered Member

so I added 10l of siporax on Monday to my sump, I added it under my skimmer but left around 4 inches above it for my skimmer and 1 inch under it. Is this a fine area for it?

Also I am thinking of buying another 10L to add or do you think 10L is fine for my 180gallon DT? my nitrates are very high at the moment.

SPS Dominant 180 gallon.

Link to my tank: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2618245
codydemmel4 is offline   Reply With Quote