Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/24/2017, 10:09 AM   #5526
alton
Registered Member

I have had larger regals that took 3 to 4 weeks to eat. All my angels get a fw dip after acclimation

alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2017, 02:56 PM   #5527
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClownNut View Post
i know what flukes will look like on an angel it doesn't have fluke, it got a freshwater dip a couple days ago. no flukes.
It's in QT currently going through chloroquine phosphate treatment will follow by praziquantel tomorrow.
There are thousands of species of Monoganeans​ (flukes). They come from large (up to the size of a quarter) to microscopic small. Some live on the fish's skin while others exclusively feed on the fish's gills. So unless you have done a biopsy and microscopic inspection of the fish's gills you can't be completely sure that there is nothing, especially not if the fish isn't doing fine.
And freshwater dips are by no means a sure way to diagnose flukes. Depending on the fluke and fish species they may just seek shelter under the scales. I observed precisely that with my Ventralis Anthias.
Also, some flukes are just too small to be seen with the naked eye.
I'm not saying that fish has flukes, but I don't think that they can be totally excluded either.
A fish stopping to eat for several days is always reason to be​ concerned.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2017, 04:47 AM   #5528
ClownNut
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
There are thousands of species of Monoganeans​ (flukes). They come from large (up to the size of a quarter) to microscopic small. Some live on the fish's skin while others exclusively feed on the fish's gills. So unless you have done a biopsy and microscopic inspection of the fish's gills you can't be completely sure that there is nothing, especially not if the fish isn't doing fine.
And freshwater dips are by no means a sure way to diagnose flukes. Depending on the fluke and fish species they may just seek shelter under the scales. I observed precisely that with my Ventralis Anthias.
Also, some flukes are just too small to be seen with the naked eye.
I'm not saying that fish has flukes, but I don't think that they can be totally excluded either.
A fish stopping to eat for several days is always reason to be​ concerned.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
in my exp, the large fluke were a lot less danger than the smaller one.
that's why i am doing the praziquantel treatment.

Current Tank Info: 300DD, SM200/RD3,ATI 60-8X80+4X75, 2 Sea Sweep & 4X6105 & 6208
ClownNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2017, 06:15 PM   #5529
ClownNut
Registered Member

well, good news, the regal is eating the live clam and mussel, not going to town but it's a step up from not want to touch anything. let's hope it keeps that up.

Current Tank Info: 300DD, SM200/RD3,ATI 60-8X80+4X75, 2 Sea Sweep & 4X6105 & 6208
Unread 05/27/2017, 07:39 AM   #5530
Sonicblast12
Registered Member

Sometimes it can take way longer than we're comfortable with. I purchased a large misbar Red Sea regal on March 22nd and it took it's first bites yesterday. First bites that I saw, anyway.

Sonicblast12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2017, 08:18 AM   #5531
OrionN
Moved on

Multiple Regal Angels-Should I or Shouldn't I

Opinion and advises requested regarding adding a third Regal angel to my tank.
My 320 Gal DT have fish list as per my Sig line. All the fish are doing great together. No problem what so ever. Fat healthy.
My Male Red Sea Regal is about 4 inches and my Female Philippine Regal is about 3.5. They are not each other best friend but the Male only very occasionally take a run at the female. Never actually bite her, she just dart our of the way. Never injury or torn fin.
In my QT system, I have a 1.75 inches juvenile Indian Ocean yellow chested that is as healthy as he can be. I don't have an option of remove either angel from my tank. Let just say that it is next to impossible. I like to et a tru pair in the future. Should I add the third Regal into this tank. How likely is this to upset the apple cart and disaster follow?

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2017, 10:30 AM   #5532
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
My 320 Gal DT have fish list as per my Sig line. All the fish are doing great together. No problem what so ever. Fat healthy.
My Male Red Sea Regal is about 4 inches and my Female Philippine Regal is about 3.5. They are not each other best friend but the Male only very occasionally take a run at the female. Never actually bite her, she just dart our of the way. Never injury or torn fin.
In my QT system, I have a 1.75 inches juvenile Indian Ocean yellow chested that is as healthy as he can be. I don't have an option of remove either angel from my tank. Let just say that it is next to impossible. I like to et a tru pair in the future. Should I add the third Regal into this tank. How likely is this to upset the apple cart and disaster follow?

I only have two but I wouldn't call them a pair. The male is significantly larger than the other that was introduced later. He chased a little for a day but doesn't pay much attention to it anymore. Once in a while he'll chase for a second or two but that's it.

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2017, 02:10 PM   #5533
Sonicblast12
Registered Member

Quote:
A small juvi the mix would probably work, however with regals if there is a perceived threat or food competition there's a chance they will stop eating. And if it's impossible to remove the fish, it probably isn't work the risk. If everything is going great as you said, you don't want to push too far and regret it.

Sonicblast12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2017, 02:16 PM   #5534
OrionN
Moved on

They are absolute pigs. They gorge themselves on food and all three are very fat.

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
Unread 05/28/2017, 12:28 PM   #5535
OrionN
Moved on

I put my baby Regal angel into my DT about 4 hrs ago. he is doing well, but still hold up in the rock at this time. He ate well when I fed the tank this AM. So far two larger Regal angels have not chase him. None of the other fish seem to bother him either.

Wish me luck.

Unread 06/04/2017, 06:45 AM   #5536
OrionN
Moved on

One week after I added the small Regal Angel into the tank. He is in pick on my all 5 of the angels, the three Flames and the two Regal. So much that he is hiding in the L corner of my tank, in the rock. Fortunately he is small and agile. able to dodge the attacks of the larger angel fishes. He is eating at least. I have been squirting food into his corner and he is aggressively eating them.
This morning was the first time I see him peeking out from his corner and got chase back in by my male Flame Angel. Hopefully they will lessen their aggressiveness toward him as time go on. So far he have not loss any weight that I can see. No wound either.

Unread 06/04/2017, 08:26 PM   #5537
carrots
Registered Member

Glad to here the little guy is holding his own and still eating.

carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2017, 05:02 AM   #5538
alton
Registered Member

Flame Angels are mean. I added one many years ago to my old 200 with a large queen angel and a clown trigger established, and he held his own very well.

Unread 06/05/2017, 05:13 AM   #5539
OrionN
Moved on

Prior to adding the last Regal, the Flame Angels and the Regal Angels ignore each other. When I added the first Regal, if I remember correctly, she was smaller than the male Flame Angel. Regal angels are not timid and can certainly hold their own against other fishes. Will see how this one do in a few months. He seem to be OK for now. I will just have to feed him in his corner. He is fast, just darts around the rock when the other fishes chase him.

Unread 06/05/2017, 08:33 AM   #5540
alton
Registered Member

The fact he is not tore up tells me he should be fine. Your other fish are just letting her/him know who's dominate

Unread 06/05/2017, 01:27 PM   #5541
cFloor
Registered Member

Quote:
Prior to adding the last Regal, the Flame Angels and the Regal Angels ignore each other. When I added the first Regal, if I remember correctly, she was smaller than the male Flame Angel. Regal angels are not timid and can certainly hold their own against other fishes. Will see how this one do in a few months. He seem to be OK for now. I will just have to feed him in his corner. He is fast, just darts around the rock when the other fishes chase him.
Best of luck with your little guy. I have a similar situation in my tank. I have two large regals and a very tiny yellow belly that I've had for almost a year now. When I got him, it was the smallest regal I've ever seen. The two large ones definitely interact with each other but they completely ignore the little one.

Here's my two large ones. The baby is always in and out of the rocks and tough to get a pic of.

Instagram: @cfloorsaltwater
cFloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2017, 01:55 PM   #5542
OrionN
Moved on

I was told that the yellow chested sub-species reproductive unit is pair while the blue chested reproduced in harem structure of one male and multiple females.

Unread 06/05/2017, 10:25 PM   #5543
Dromon
Registered Member

That's a really awesome photo. It has a heavenly quality to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cFloor View Post
Best of luck with your little guy. I have a similar situation in my tank. I have two large regals and a very tiny yellow belly that I've had for almost a year now. When I got him, it was the smallest regal I've ever seen. The two large ones definitely interact with each other but they completely ignore the little one.

Here's my two large ones. The baby is always in and out of the rocks and tough to get a pic of.

Dromon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/24/2017, 06:55 AM   #5544
ClownNut
Registered Member

I lost my hope after it eats live clam for 2 days then goes back to not eating. 2 more weeks went by, the magic moment finally happened it nips at the blood worm settled on the floor(of course, it's the same day i picked up another yellow-breasted regal perfect size, about 3") Only start with 2-5 worms per cube. And now it went crazy on bloodworm and pellets. Over all the food I can't believed it will eats the 2 things it never seen in its life.......not sure what to think about that.
Well, that bring me to my second issue. How do I change its mind about eating anything else? I do feed mix of a lot of cubes, but bloodworm is not on the list daily. I have 9 type of cube and I do 3 cubes plus small piece of rod or Larry or pe daily. When I mixed mysis and bloodworm togather, it will pick out all the bloodworm and left the mysis untouched...

Unread 06/24/2017, 07:44 AM   #5545
OrionN
Moved on

If he eat pellets, I would just feed him pellets. Eventually he will eat other things. Mine was refer flakes over everything else at first now he eats everything.

Unread 06/24/2017, 09:15 AM   #5546
ClownNut
Registered Member

in the qt i dont have a problem with pellets since it's a smaller tank not a ton of flow, they will settle and it will find them. i am afraid once i moved it into the display with high flow it wont find any food and i dont want him to chow on my zoas. catch him out the display first time it's PITA, i really dont want to do it again. well, i guess it has to stay in the QT unitl it change its mind lol.

Unread 08/02/2017, 02:16 PM   #5547
this is me
Registered Member

This fish thread is too cool to be buried 10 page down the forum.

When a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. When a woman talks dirty to a man, it's $4.95 per minute.

Current Tank Info: Miracle 360 gallons
this is me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/02/2017, 02:20 PM   #5548
Salty150
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by this is me View Post
This fish thread is too cool to be buried 10 page down the forum.
Very true -

However, don't want everyone going out and getting this difficult fish because of its beauty and thinking it is going to be an easy fish to start to take care of.

Salty150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/02/2017, 02:23 PM   #5549
this is me
Registered Member

No. That wasn't my intention.

When a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. When a woman talks dirty to a man, it's $4.95 per minute.

Current Tank Info: Miracle 360 gallons
this is me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2017, 07:53 AM   #5550
alton
Registered Member

I think the $200 retail price tag along with being juveniles, has helped transhippers and wholesalers take better care of this fish. And why they are doing much better surviving in captivity. Flame Angels on the other hand, I have not been so lucky.