Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/03/2017, 10:22 PM   #1
fierro9181113
Registered Member

Is my hranching GSP diying...???

Hi... here is a pic of a frag of my branching GSP that i got from my buddy a week ago and it has not open... i placed it on a rock for a couple of days and nothing, so i placed it on the sand to see and im still wating for some movement but nothing... is it diying...???

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

fierro9181113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/03/2017, 10:23 PM   #2
fierro9181113
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierro9181113 View Post
Hi... here is a pic of a frag of my branching GSP that i got from my buddy a week ago and it has not open... i placed it on a rock for a couple of days and nothing, so i placed it on the sand to see and im still wating for some movement but nothing... is it diying...???

Here is a pic...

Unread 11/04/2017, 04:38 AM   #3
Shankytank
Registered Member

Quote:

It doesn't seem to open yet because the frag were still a polyp and needed to grow to open itself

Sent from my SM-T705 using Tapatalk

Shankytank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2017, 08:50 AM   #4
fierro9181113
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankytank View Post
It doesn't seem to open yet because the frag were still a polyp and needed to grow to open itself

Sent from my SM-T705 using Tapatalk
Great, thanks for the help... is the sand a good place for those kind...???

Unread 11/04/2017, 09:00 AM   #5
ReefMaster48
Registered Member

GSP can take a while to open when it is shipped and or changes tanks. When I got mine, it took about 2-3 weeks to open fully. Also, they can get a type of film that is easily blown off to help them open quicker. Similar in looks to a leather shedding, but not the same process.

ReefMaster48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2017, 09:04 AM   #6
fierro9181113
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefMaster48 View Post
GSP can take a while to open when it is shipped and or changes tanks. When I got mine, it took about 2-3 weeks to open fully. Also, they can get a type of film that is easily blown off to help them open quicker. Similar in looks to a leather shedding, but not the same process.
Oooh wow thats a long time... and do i have to remove that film...???

Unread 11/04/2017, 09:35 AM   #7
slief
RC Sponsor

How old is this tank? Looking at the rocks, it looks like it was just setup. If so, I wouldn’t expect it to live. GSP needs nutrients and a newly setup tank won’t have sufficient nutrients to support it. Especially in the absence of a decent biological load.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2017, 10:12 AM   #8
sde1500
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
How old is this tank? Looking at the rocks, it looks like it was just setup. If so, I wouldn’t expect it to live. GSP needs nutrients and a newly setup tank won’t have sufficient nutrients to support it. Especially in the absence of a decent biological load.

According to his comment history, 10/27 started the tank cycle. So probably far too early for the coral.

As it stands doesn't look good but nothing to do now but wait. With the tank likely not cycled it may not make it. But if it does make sure you keep testing the water and maintain good parameters.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2548422

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
sde1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2017, 10:22 AM   #9
fierro9181113
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sde1500 View Post
According to his comment history, 10/27 started the tank cycle. So probably far too early for the coral.

As it stands doesn't look good but nothing to do now but wait. With the tank likely not cycled it may not make it. But if it does make sure you keep testing the water and maintain good parameters.
Thank you... its been about a month and 3 weeks i startex the tank... i added the coral a week ago...

Unread 11/04/2017, 10:31 AM   #10
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Thank you... its been about a month and 3 weeks i startex the tank... i added the coral a week ago...

You’re tank is WAY too new coral. That coral is most certainly going to die in there. There are no nutrients and the tank is still going through cycles. A tank goes through a number of changes over the first year as it matures and not the least of which is the initial nitrogen cycle that takes a minimum of 4 weeks. Many of those changes are not conducive to corals which is why its best waiting several months before adding corals since any corals you add will likely die. While GSP is a hearty coral, it needs sufficient nutrients to survive and in a tank that is only several weeks old, let alone a few months old, they will just die off since there won’t be enough nutrients in the water for them to survive on. I’d give it back to whoever you got it from and wait at least a few months for you tank to settle down and gain some live stock. .

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2017, 10:42 AM   #11
fierro9181113
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
You’re tank is WAY too new coral. That coral is most certainly going to die in there. There are no nutrients and the tank is still going through cycles. A tank goes through a number of changes over the first year as it matures and not the least of which is the initial nitrogen cycle that takes a minimum of 4 weeks. Many of those changes are not conducive to corals which is why its best waiting several months before adding corals since any corals you add will likely die. While GSP is a hearty coral, it needs sufficient nutrients to survive and in a tank that is only several weeks old, let alone a few months old, they will just die off since there won’t be enough nutrients in the water for them to survive on. I’d give it back to whoever you got it from and wait at least a few months for you tank to settle down and gain some live stock. .
Thanks for the reply... yes i know its new, despite that i have a couple of corals that are thriving well and fast... its just that one that dont want to come out... i think it was already sick before coming here...

Unread 11/09/2017, 10:44 AM   #12
fierro9181113
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks for the reply... yes i know its new, despite that i have a couple of corals that are thriving well and fast... its just that one that dont want to come out... i think it was already sick before coming here...

This is a pic of some of the frags and rock i have...