Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/01/2012, 05:37 AM   #1
Registered Member

Breeding clown fish questions

I have wanted to breed clown fish for a while now and have some room will a 20 gallon long be a sufficient tank to put the pair in and breed and then I could use my 65 as a grow out also should I have sand and live rock in the 20 long

916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/01/2012, 06:15 AM   #2
thor109
Registered Member.

From I read I think its best to leave pair in DT and siphon the fry out when they hatch to raise in separate tank. Just Google breeding clown fish. You will need some rotifers. Here is some info.
http://rotifer.pbworks.com/w/page/12136721/FrontPage

thor109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/01/2012, 08:58 AM   #3
ClownfishSushi
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 916 View Post
I have wanted to breed clown fish for a while now and have some room will a 20 gallon long be a sufficient tank to put the pair in and breed and then I could use my 65 as a grow out also should I have sand and live rock in the 20 long
To be honest, you probably want to do the exact opposite of this!

Have the broodstock in the 65. Raise the fry in the 20.

Unread 04/01/2012, 09:04 AM   #4
Registered Member

My 65 has a anemone and live rock and sand will that be ok and should I still put a clay pot in there and how should I set up the 20 long for fry Will sand and live rock be ok

Unread 04/01/2012, 09:14 AM   #5
ClownfishSushi
Registered Member

Quote:
My 65 has a anemone and live rock and sand will that be ok and should I still put a clay pot in there and how should I set up the 20 long for fry Will sand and live rock be ok
I personally prefer clay pots. Tiles are also very useful if you plan on pulling the nest on hatch night but I manually collect. The 65 sounds like a great setup.

The 20 should be completely empty. Absolutely no sand, live rock or any decoration. You'll only use about 3 gallons of water at first. Just enough to cover the heater sitting above a bubble wand. You'll need to scrape and siphon the bottom daily. I'm not going to get into the entire setup here but if you want some more info you can PM me and I'll link to a few threads I created.

Good luck!

Unread 04/01/2012, 01:44 PM   #6
Registered Member

Ok I will

Unread 04/01/2012, 02:39 PM   #7
Registered Member

http://www.yourfishstuff.com/product...Reef-Food.html would the 500-800 micron feed newly hatched clown fish or de they need to eat rotifers

Unread 04/01/2012, 03:37 PM   #8
ClownfishSushi
Registered Member

Quote:
http://www.yourfishstuff.com/product...Reef-Food.html would the 500-800 micron feed newly hatched clown fish or de they need to eat rotifers
That's a third stage food. The thing you have to remember is that when the fry first hatch they are near blind. They can make out movement and instincitivly pounce on anything moving through their limited field of vision. They will not be eating food floating on the surface of the tank.

You'll definitely need to start off with rotifers. That's the only live food that is necessary. You'll ween them onto otohime after a few days. Then you'll be feeding freeze dried cyclopseeze and golden pearls as the third step in the food chain. Even then you'll be grinding up the golden pearls between your fingers for a few weeks.