Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/08/2011, 10:32 AM   #1
polleke
Registered Member

scratch safe algae magnet idea

Hi all,

Since there will be an new aquarium in optic white in my living room in about 3 weeks from now I was thinking about cleaning the glass. I heard optic white is a little easier to scratch then normal glass. And my current aquarium also has a few small scratches so I am a bit worried about this.

I use magnets with a razor blade (easy blade) which work really well. But if a small grain of sand comes between the magnets a scratch can be the result.

The solution: an algae magnet with a blade but on wheels. So it is not possible to catch sand between the magnet en the glass. There should be about 2-3 mm (1/10 of an inch) space between window and magnet so that the magnet still works and the gravel is small enough to not get stuck. The easy blade still does its job.

Let me know what you think. I may try to diy from some lego wheels or something Or if this is for sale already do you have a link? Thanks!

polleke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
algae magnet scratch safe