Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/02/2018, 11:21 AM   #1
jsong
Registered Member

new Aqua UV unit showing rust?

Recently installed a new Aqua UV Classic 160watt unit with the wipers. Ran for just over a month and I noticed a rust coloured formation on the outside around the wiper nut. Took apart the unit and had this rust substance on some of the wiper rods, a bit on the bulb and on the wiper rings.

Is this rust? Anyone encounter this? Unit has been offline for a week and my SPS corals are showing greater polyp extension and was wondering if there is a with this.

Reached out to Aqua’s customer service but haven’t heard back. Guessing they’re getting back from holidays.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (41.9 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (40.3 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (13.7 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (23.6 KB, 22 views)
jsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2018, 05:31 PM   #2
JohnnyHildo
Registered Member

in the 3 cases of people i know that bought aqua uv's with the wiper all 3 leaked from the exact same spot, 2 of which were leaking rusty water into the sump.
i'm sure ,when working properly, these are great units but how can a person justify the asking price when they're destined to leak if you even breath on the wiper?
aqua uv needs to fix their wiper or outright delete it.

Current Tank Info: Acros - Zoas - Palys
JohnnyHildo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2018, 09:39 PM   #3
slief
RC Sponsor

I would contact AquaUV. I run a 114 watt unit with the wipers which I’ve had for years and never had issues with the wiper arm rusting and I break mine down completely every year when I change my bulbs and would absolutely know if that was an issue on mine. I’ve also installed several on customers tanks with the wipers as well and never seen that issue.

Yes, the wiper arm will drip a drop or 2 at the seal when using the wiper but that is completely normal always stops immediately when the wiper is pushed back in. One thing I always do is apply some silicone grease to the wiper seals when I service the unit and I also replace the seals every 2 years as a precaution. AquaUV has very good service and support and if you bought this unit new, I am sure they will take care of you.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2018, 06:41 PM   #4
jsong
Registered Member

AquaUV's customer support was great. They're sending me replacement wipers and wiper nuts.

They're also sending me 'plugs' so I can just convert my wiper unit into a non-wiper unit which I'm going to just do. Feel more comfortable without have the metal wiper rods in there and will just do old-fashioned maintenance on the unit going forward.

jsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2018, 06:57 PM   #5
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsong View Post
AquaUV's customer support was great. They're sending me replacement wipers and wiper nuts.

They're also sending me 'plugs' so I can just convert my wiper unit into a non-wiper unit which I'm going to just do. Feel more comfortable without have the metal wiper rods in there and will just do old-fashioned maintenance on the unit going forward.
Great to hear!

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2018, 08:20 PM   #6
d2mini
Registered Member

This thread just reminded me that I'm running an AquaUV (non-wiper)!
I should probably clean the bulb after running it for the past 7 months.

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Photos taken with a Nikon D750 or Leica M.
d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2018, 06:05 AM   #7
RobZilla04
Registered Member

How often is everyone cleaning the quartz sleeves?