Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/03/2009, 12:09 AM   #1
mojo~
Skimmer Guy

Skimmer Q&A Thread

WEll Grim has done such a good job on the T5 forum and I see so many skimmer questions. Why not start this forum. I get pms and emails quite often so why not put it all in one place for everyone. We will see how it works. There are a lot of people here that have had a good amount of knowledge on skimmers. So if I dont know the answer, someone else might know. So post you questions here and we will see how it goes.
Mojo~

mojo~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2009, 12:31 AM   #2
mojo~
Skimmer Guy

Here are a couple reviews and such that I will combine here for some easy reading.
15 skimmer review
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...readid=1518115
Warner Marine K2 review
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...readid=1532624
Bubble King Mini 160
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...readid=1571129

Unread 03/03/2009, 12:49 AM   #3
TheNomadRhodes
Registered Member

Hello! I have a Aqua Euro USA 400 Skimmer sitting on my floor that I picked up for super cheaper..
Its rated for a 400G reef tank. I have a heavily stocked 120G Reef, do you think this skimmer is over kill and could do more warm then good? or is there no replacement for Displacement?
I have allot of issues with Hair and other algae's..
What do you think?

TheNomadRhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2009, 01:02 AM   #4
mojo~
Skimmer Guy

Is it the ps 400. If so it has three pumps and is just under a 10 inch diameter. I am not familiar with the pumps it uses but I dont believe that it is overkill. The pumps look like a resun pump. my best guess is that the pumps are pulling about 15 scfh of air each. with that being said that would give you about 45 scfh total. Pair that with pretty good water turnover. I Think that will be a pretty good balance for your setup. THe design is a little dated and simple but it works. I would put it in and go. Especially since you already have it. IT should do a pretty good job. should help with the algae as well.

Unread 03/03/2009, 07:47 AM   #5
mojo~
Skimmer Guy

Just a little fyi as well, I will be getting one of the first Vertex/proline/bubbleking cones in to review which should be pretty cool. stay tuned for that one. Mojo~

Unread 03/03/2009, 09:46 AM   #6
E.intheC
Registered Member

this thread has definite potential. Good idea mojo!

Unread 03/03/2009, 10:47 AM   #7
TheNomadRhodes
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mojo~
Is it the ps 400. If so it has three pumps and is just under a 10 inch diameter. I am not familiar with the pumps it uses but I dont believe that it is overkill. The pumps look like a resun pump. my best guess is that the pumps are pulling about 15 scfh of air each. with that being said that would give you about 45 scfh total. Pair that with pretty good water turnover. I Think that will be a pretty good balance for your setup. THe design is a little dated and simple but it works. I would put it in and go. Especially since you already have it. IT should do a pretty good job. should help with the algae as well.
Thank you Mojo!
I was thinking about modding the pumps and putting a larger air line on them, its not hard to do and I all ready had all the parts need only thing it will cost is time.

TheNomadRhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2009, 12:01 PM   #8
mojo~
Skimmer Guy

That never really hurts. Although I have done it to a few pumps and never saw a gain. But that was airline only. Meshed out with 3 pumps that thing has some serious potential. Although I like convienience of pinwheels.

Unread 03/03/2009, 12:05 PM   #9
mojo~
Skimmer Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by E.intheC
this thread has definite potential. Good idea mojo!
Thanks, Its just that everyday I see different skimmer questions being asked, whether its what to buy? What size? or they are having trouble. Well why not have one place like here that peeps can ask questions and bring the focus of all of us to help solve the issues. I will do what I can to help people. If I don't know something I ll tell you I don't know. But I am sure I can find someone that does. Either a fellow hobbyist, salesman/vendor, or manufacturer. SO I hope this is helpful and gets used. Mojo~

Unread 03/03/2009, 05:07 PM   #10
E.intheC
Registered Member

I agree. Are you going to try and review most of the skimmers out there?

Do you need help with others? (I have used the Aqua C Remora, Tunze Nano 9002, and (a long time ago) the Current Fission Nano skimmer

Unread 03/03/2009, 06:00 PM   #11
mojo~
Skimmer Guy

no not all, Mostly current ones that have some sort of interest to me. And make a valid impact in todays market really. We will see what happens. I cant really afford to buy all the skimmers and take a big hit reselling them.

Unread 03/03/2009, 06:05 PM   #12
02WRXGT30R
Registered Member

This will be a good one for sure!!!

I have a 50gal tank with a 25gal sump refuge and I am looking to replace the Coralife 125 i have now it is setup as a hob and I want a hob to replace it what would you recommend the tank will be on the heavy loaded side

02WRXGT30R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2009, 06:18 PM   #13
shleprock30
Registered Member

Hey Mojo..... just wondering if you have had any thoughts on any of your earlier tested models like the SB40.. have you had any opinion changes since using some of the higher end and newer technology skimmers.

Current Tank Info: Oceanic 37 gal reef. CPR MRT 13 gal. ETSS Sump buddy 40, 175watt MH 14K
shleprock30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2009, 06:44 PM   #14
johnanddawn
Registered Member

OK i have a question
I have an octo 200 recirculating that i would like to plumb into the return line
i have never had a skimmer like this and have no idea how to set it up in this manner
have you done this and any tips you could give to save me the trouble of ?
I guess all i need to do is run a T with the in line to the skimmer and the T upward with a seperate return elbow to the sump so the flow wont be restricted from the main tank, but how do i (if possible) control the through skimmer amount
is that about it?

johnanddawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2009, 06:51 PM   #15
mojo~
Skimmer Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by 02WRXGT30R

I have a 50gal tank with a 25gal sump refuge and I am looking to replace the Coralife 125 i have now it is setup as a hob and I want a hob to replace it what would you recommend the tank will be on the heavy loaded side
Of hang on the back filters The ones to look at are the Deltecs of course. But some more affordable ones would be the Bermuda Rogue, THe HX from Warner Marine and the MSX hang ons . Good luck I have alwas heard pretty good things about the Rogue.

Unread 03/03/2009, 06:54 PM   #16
mojo~
Skimmer Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by 02WRXGT30R

Of hang on the back filters The ones to look at are the Deltecs of course. But some more affordable ones would be the Bermuda Rogue, THe HX from Warner Marine and the MSX hang ons . Good luck I have always heard pretty good things about the Rogue. Check and you might be able to save some money on a used one. I have found that hang on the backs dont hold there value as well. Just my 2 cents.

Unread 03/03/2009, 07:00 PM   #17
mojo~
Skimmer Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by shleprock30
Hey Mojo..... just wondering if you have had any thoughts on any of your earlier tested models like the SB40.. have you had any opinion changes since using some of the higher end and newer technology skimmers.
Not really. THe SB40 was and still is a pretty good skimmer. Has a larger turnover rate than a pinwheel. All in all it would be a great skimmer for thos with a small footprint. I wish it included a air siliencer as it was a bit noisey

Unread 03/03/2009, 07:03 PM   #18
mojo~
Skimmer Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by johnanddawn
OK i have a question
I have an octo 200 recirculating that i would like to plumb into the return line
i have never had a skimmer like this and have no idea how to set it up in this manner
have you done this and any tips you could give to save me the trouble of ?
I guess all i need to do is run a T with the in line to the skimmer and the T upward with a seperate return elbow to the sump so the flow wont be restricted from the main tank, but how do i (if possible) control the through skimmer amount
is that about it?
Alot of people will do this method. However there is no good way to determine the amount of flow going through your skimmer. Might just be easier to use a powerhead for feed pump. You will want to run about 1.5 times your system volume. So if you have a 100g sytem you will want something around 150gph. So a maxijet 400 or 600 would work very well for this. Good luck

Unread 03/03/2009, 10:35 PM   #19
mojo~
Skimmer Guy

I hope this is helpful....

Unread 03/04/2009, 11:45 AM   #20
mojo~
Skimmer Guy

if anyone care to know I did an air draw test in the Vertex in 100 and it is pulling about 16 scfh. Not terrible for the price of this skimmer. Lots of good changes made to the Gen 2 models.

Unread 03/04/2009, 06:26 PM   #21
tav
Registered Member

Mojo, when you tested the Sump Buddy a while back did you happen to do an air draw test? I'm curious for comparative purposes.

Thanks.

tav is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2009, 06:33 PM   #22
mojo~
Skimmer Guy

I didnt back then. I wish I would have. I would be really curious. I am sure it pulled pretty good I would guess aound 2o to 25 scfh if I had to guess

Unread 03/04/2009, 06:40 PM   #23
tav
Registered Member

Maybe some other SB 40 user out there happens to have that number. I just ordered one of these and plan to use a Quiet One 3000 with it. I'm looking forward to some good skimming performance when I get it installed.

tav is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2009, 06:45 PM   #24
shleprock30
Registered Member

Where and what kind of meter should you use to test the air draw (yes I am to tired to do all the research), I know it is a Dwyer but not more then that. If it is not outrageously expensive I will get one and test my Sump Buddy..

BTW.. I am running the 3 mini balls like you suggested mojo and it is stable as can be.

Current Tank Info: Oceanic 37 gal reef. CPR MRT 13 gal. ETSS Sump buddy 40, 175watt MH 14K
shleprock30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2009, 08:44 PM   #25
mojo~
Skimmer Guy

thats awesome that wher I found mine to work the best. very good skimmers just really simple.

Tags
atb, nw150b protein skimmer, vertex