Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/21/2018, 12:28 PM   #1
Reefpuck
Registered Member

Two AI Prime HDs + 4 T5s for 90g mixed reef?

Hey all. As title says...looking to see if this setup would be sufficient for mixed reef, with predominantly SPS on top half of tank. I understand 2 of these LED fixtures alone wouldn't work for a 90g mixed reef...but with 4 T5s supplementing I'm assuming it'd work.

I'm leaning towards AIs over the Kessil 360...as they're $150 cheaper each, dont require an additional module to control them, and I like how they can be adjusted.

Anyone have experience using these on larger tanks, with some supplemental lighting?

Current Tank Info: 90g mixed reef w/ 55g sump/fuge.
Reefpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2018, 12:43 PM   #2
mattgumaer
Registered Member

I think you'd be fine. I run 4 t5s and three Radion Pros (gen 2) over a 180. The max I run my Radions is in the range of 25%. I consider my Radions to be a supplement to my T5s.

Matt

mattgumaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2018, 08:36 PM   #3
ajoe
Registered Member

Plenty of light as long as you include the T-5s. Without them it would be a bit of a stretch for 90 gal. Totally depends on what your plans are for livestock as always. You will love the AIs. Great product.

ajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2018, 09:00 PM   #4
Reefpuck
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgumaer View Post
I think you'd be fine. I run 4 t5s and three Radion Pros (gen 2) over a 180. The max I run my Radions is in the range of 25%. I consider my Radions to be a supplement to my T5s.

Matt
Do you still get the shimmer effect from the Radions?

Unread 03/21/2018, 09:01 PM   #5
Reefpuck
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajoe View Post
Plenty of light as long as you include the T-5s. Without them it would be a bit of a stretch for 90 gal. Totally depends on what your plans are for livestock as always. You will love the AIs. Great product.
Everything I've seen looks awesome about these fixtures. Do you run them on a larger tank as well?

Unread 03/21/2018, 09:15 PM   #6
ajoe
Registered Member

I have two on a smaller tank and everything is fine. I don't have any supplemental lighting like T-5s but for a tank your size it would be most beneficial. The spread on one HD I believe is around 18x18 so you can see why the T-5s are necessary or possibly a third HD if you can swing it.

ajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2018, 02:24 PM   #7
Reefpuck
Registered Member

Ok appreciate the input. I thinkg I'm going to go with 2 T5s to start with the 2 AI Prime HDs...run some par numbers then add 2 more T5s if needed.

Anyone else who have a similar setup to what I'm looking at?

Unread 03/23/2018, 07:23 AM   #8
SDboatguy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefpuck View Post
Ok appreciate the input. I thinkg I'm going to go with 2 T5s to start with the 2 AI Prime HDs...run some par numbers then add 2 more T5s if needed.

Anyone else who have a similar setup to what I'm looking at?
I run hydra 26 HDs with T5. the par meter is definitely the way to go. With you T 5s being your primary source you should be fine depending on livestock. You may see a bit of a spotlight look with only 2 LED pucks but if your rock work is set up accordingly it might work nicely. FWIW - I have my hydras spaced out about 18" apart(center of each fixture) and there looks like three slightly brighter looking spots under each light,but not too much different than the rest of the tank. SPS are growing better in those spots I'm running 2x C+and 2x B+ for T5

SDboatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2018, 05:23 PM   #9
reeferdon
Registered Member

I have 2 Primes HD and 2 T5's B+ on my 36x20x20. Sps top of rocks and doing okay Thinking of adding another Prime HD. I think for your 90 gallon 3x AI Primes HD and T5's.

reeferdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2018, 07:29 AM   #10
mattgumaer
Registered Member

Quote:
Do you still get the shimmer effect from the Radions?
I do still get some shimmer though not as much. However, I likely the lower shimmer level.

Matt

mattgumaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2018, 09:26 AM   #11
reefinnewb
Registered Member

@Reeferdon, Do you have a picture of that setup, also, do you think two AI Primes would be enough without the T5s?

reefinnewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2018, 04:47 PM   #12
Bayareareefer18
Registered Member

I was thinking of lighting my new build with primes but from all the reading I was doing I was figuring on needing 3 or 4 to light a 4' tank. Figure a couple hundred a piece for the primes plus whatever your t5 hybrid fixture costs plus bulbs you could almost just go with like a kessil ap700 if it were high enough

I ended up going with a less expensive option as this is my first try in the reefing world. I'm quite pleased with the lights so far but I have not started growing anything yet. Knowing the natural progression of this hobby I'm sure I'll upgrade in the future

Bayareareefer18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2018, 06:21 PM   #13
maddmaxx
Registered Member

Quote:
Hey all. As title says...looking to see if this setup would be sufficient for mixed reef, with predominantly SPS on top half of tank. I understand 2 of these LED fixtures alone wouldn't work for a 90g mixed reef...but with 4 T5s supplementing I'm assuming it'd work.

I'm leaning towards AIs over the Kessil 360...as they're $150 cheaper each, dont require an additional module to control them, and I like how they can be adjusted.

Anyone have experience using these on larger tanks, with some supplemental lighting?
that would be more then fine....$hit ive even seen that exact set up on a 120g. and that tank has some of the best acans ive ever seen in person...

Current Tank Info: 40B Mixed reef
maddmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2018, 08:29 PM   #14
DesertReefT4r
Registered Member

It will work well. The AI will be more of a supplement to the T5 not the other way around. So just keep that mind set when choosing T5 bulbs.

Tank history 29g tropical ,55g cichlid tank, 20H softy reef, 29g mixed reef, 20H brackish goby & puffer tank, 55g mixed reef, 6g Nanocube softy lps reef, 40B sps reef, 75g sps reef, 75g sps reef in bu

Current Tank Info: 75g sps reef build in the works.
DesertReefT4r is offline   Reply With Quote