Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Tunze
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/23/2018, 06:10 PM   #1
SumptyDumpty
Registered Member

6055 new pump high pitch noise

First off, I do not want to sound negative here as I do really like the Tunze products, especially the model 6040.

History (6040 and 6020):
So far, I have two new 6040 nanostream controllable units that have zero issues in function and great restart ability as well as almost zero noise in a silent room.

I had the chance to grab one new Tunze 6020 unit that did not start back up when shut down for a trial simulated water change. I stuck with the two 6040 units and was pleased.
Main topic.
6055 issue:

Just this week I tried a shot at the larger 6055 controllable unit.
As soon as I start it up, I get quite a bit of electronic noise coming from the 6055 pump.

I'm assuming this unit may have an odd issue which is not normal as most people are showing success with the 6055 series.
So far, the only way to control or lessen the noise is to turn it down to a bare minimum.

I will try to upload a video to show more about the situation asap.

SumptyDumpty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2018, 06:32 PM   #2
SumptyDumpty
Registered Member

Tunze 6055 nanostream.

The Pump has a small amount of a hum to it, but there is a high pitch coming from the pump itself.

It may be bearings or something that passed through the Tunze inspection.
As stated before, the two 6040 units are as quiet as can be when used on full blast. They can have a little audible change when used on the pulse 90% / 20% high-low mode.

The video is below.
I made two videos. This is video #1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmJA...ature=youtu.be

Unread 03/26/2018, 08:18 AM   #3
rvitko
RC Sponsor

6040 and 6055 use the same drive unit, this is the only moving part and will generally be the only probable cause of noise. The electronics would not make any noise. The 6055 does generally spin at nearly double the speed of a 6040 so noises will be a higher pitch at full speed and full break in takes about 6 weeks. I would try swapping the drive unit from your 6040 to the 6055. My hunch is their is some small bur or blemish on the drive unit.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon planted tank with Altum Angelfish
rvitko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2018, 06:26 PM   #4
SumptyDumpty
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvitko View Post
The 6055 does generally spin at nearly double the speed of a 6040 so noises will be a higher pitch at full speed and full break in takes about 6 weeks.
Do you think the 6055 can ever be a silent as the 6040?

I was going to replace the two 6040 units for one bigger 6055 that has a better directional control.
I may just keep the quiet 6040 pumps and stick with them.

Also, I noticed that the 6055 round screen/cover may fit the 6040 round body.

Would it fit? Then I would not have the 6040 curved deflector that does not push really straight outward as for flow direction.

- just brainstorming.

Thanks.

Unread 03/27/2018, 08:45 AM   #5
rvitko
RC Sponsor

No, given the same design, the higher the flow, the more water movement noise and in this case, the higher speed as well results in a higher frequency noise which is more objectionable than lower frequency noises even if the volume is the same. If two pumps are the same basic design, the higher flow version will always have more noise.

Yes, you will lose about 100 gph and cannot use the flow deflector. The 6040 has the maximum flow that the small pump can produce so any restriction is fairly dramatic and that is why we don't incorporate a grid on the 6040.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Unread 03/27/2018, 04:46 PM   #6
SumptyDumpty
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvitko View Post

No, given the same design, the higher the flow, the more water movement noise and in this case, the higher speed as well results in a higher frequency noise which is more objectionable than lower frequency noises even if the volume is the same. If two pumps are the same basic design, the higher flow version will always have more noise.

Yes, you will lose about 100 gph and cannot use the flow deflector. The 6040 has the maximum flow that the small pump can produce so any restriction is fairly dramatic and that is why we don't incorporate a grid on the 6040.

Thank you.

I will have to stick with the 6040 series for now.
I felt a bit tempted to believe all the reviews that the 6055 was going to be whisper quiet too.

Unread 03/28/2018, 08:50 AM   #7
rvitko
RC Sponsor

A broken in and correctly operating 6055 will only have about 50 db and this is generally below the ambient noise level in a living room, the 6040 has about 46 db, it is not a huge difference. There is a difference in pitch though and higher pitch noises are generally more objectionable. In this case, I think there is a drive unit issue causing more noise than there should be.