Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Neptune Systems
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/22/2017, 10:51 AM   #1
mic209
Registered Member

Drill Brute Can for Optical ATK Sensor?

Has anybody tried installing an optical sensor into the side of a brute can? Any leaking issues? I would like to go this route over the magnetic mount as this will be me about more of wire to play with. My brute is about 6-7ft away from my FMM module.

mic209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/22/2017, 11:07 AM   #2
five.five-six
Registered Member

I just use a Kent marine float valve connected to my RO/DI, if have used it for about 12 years without issue. I know it all cool and stuff to have an automated setup with solenoid but a float switch is fool proof and power outage proof.

To you exact question, the higher on the brute, the less the pressure will be.

"I hate that hole"

Current Tank Info: SCMAS Member 225 peninsula euroreef RS180 Apex 400W X 3 20k radiums / Spectra mixed SPS
five.five-six is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/22/2017, 11:32 AM   #3
mic209
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by five.five-six View Post
I just use a Kent marine float valve connected to my RO/DI, if have used it for about 12 years without issue. I know it all cool and stuff to have an automated setup with solenoid but a float switch is fool proof and power outage proof.

To you exact question, the higher on the brute, the less the pressure will be.
Hello, I also have used a Float Valve on my brute can for the past 11-12 years connected to my RO/DI and it has never failed. What I am trying to do is completely different than what you are thinking. I want to install the optical sensor so I can get an alert when the brute can water level is low so I can turn on the RO/DI or send somebody over to turn it on if I am out of town.

I don't leave the supply water to my RO/DI unit on all the time, because there is always some water trickling out of the waste water line, even with a float valve and auto shutoff valve installed.

Unread 12/22/2017, 11:33 PM   #4
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

I have one in the side of a brute can. It's small so the curve of the can won't cause a leak.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2017, 05:14 AM   #5
mic209
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
I have one in the side of a brute can. It's small so the curve of the can won't cause a leak.

Awesome! I’ll pick one up and install it. Will be nice to get an alert when I am out of town so I can tell the tank sitter to turn on the RO/DI.

Unread 12/23/2017, 02:03 PM   #6
radiata
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic209 View Post
Has anybody tried installing an optical sensor into the side of a brute can? Any leaking issues? I would like to go this route over the magnetic mount as this will be me about more of wire to play with. My brute is about 6-7ft away from my FMM module.
I have two of them on a 55G drum I use for RODI water, where I used two solenoids to automate the RODI unit.

I've also successfully put an optical on a 5g bucket.

Current Tank Info: Multiple - 600+ Net Gallons
radiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2017, 06:31 PM   #7
radiata
Registered Member

FWIW, I used a 9/16" drill bit.

Current Tank Info: Multiple - 600+ Net Gallons
radiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2018, 10:11 AM   #8
dentnshell
Registered Member

Small curvature, and little to no water pressure at the very top of the can. I have a float valve mounted, no issues.
I would drill closer to the center and not around the handles. As I am pulling my Brute can around there is obviously more deflection of the plastic around the handles. I have not noticed an issue, but my float is on the side.

Hope that makes sense.

Current Tank Info: DSA rimless 105
dentnshell is offline   Reply With Quote