Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/27/2017, 07:48 PM   #1
MrineLfRlz
Registered Member

Question Overflowing problem with reef octopus protein skimmer

Does anyone with a sro-sss type protein skimmer have my problem, for some time now ive had to clean out my collection cup weekly because if i dont it almost always overflows. I have a automatic neck cleaner that works very well and the exit valve is all the way open. A couple weekends ago i raised the skimmer higher in the sump and it ran good for only a week now its back to over flowing again. If i have time i will take it out a take it apart to check all air ways though its getting plenty of air but will check anyways. This is starting to get frustrating is there anyone that might give me some help?
Btw i put my hand partially over the intake and the level of course dropped in the skimmer maybe i might try some adjustable valve mod to adjust the intake flow?
My skimmer is a super reef octopus sro-6000sss

Current Tank Info: BubbleMagus(calc.,alk/Clearwater CW-300 Scrubber//56wAQUA UV/Reef Oct.SRO6000SSS Protein sk./1/10HP Chiller/GENESIS AWC
MrineLfRlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2017, 12:49 AM   #2
Skim
Registered Member

Few pics would help if possible. OK you are running a 6000 on a 125 gal even if you had all tanks on one sump with the 6000 you are overkill. Sounds like the skimmer works then slows foam production then Organics build up and foam explosion. Thats over skimming. You did not say what the water level you have the skimmer at, I know they seem to like 6 inches the best. How close is the exit valve to any wall, did you add any extension to the output anything that can cause back pressure will affect the skimmer greatly.
Really need more info, but I believe you are going to have trade that beast in or sell it and get something that will run more consistently. Something like the 2000 or 3000 or something maybe from the Regal line.

Skim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2017, 08:12 AM   #3
MrineLfRlz
Registered Member

water level 6"
added a 90 after the valve on the exit when it was 8+" lower it was a open valve and still did the same thing i will look for another solution on the exit
Im still thinking about some kind of valve to slow flow to the skimmer as well

Current Tank Info: BubbleMagus(calc.,alk/Clearwater CW-300 Scrubber//56wAQUA UV/Reef Oct.SRO6000SSS Protein sk./1/10HP Chiller/GENESIS AWC

Last edited by MrineLfRlz; 02/28/2017 at 08:19 AM.
Unread 02/28/2017, 08:30 AM   #4
BlackTip
Registered Member

I have the SRO-5000SSS and I have similar issues. I can't get it to skim consistently. Most of the skimates sticks to the neck walls, and it overflows frequently especially at night.

It sets at the proper depth, I clean it every few months and make sure the venturi is clean, I tune it where the small bubbles are in the body and larger bubbles are in the neck. Just like the photo posted.

It can go days without much skimates, then suddenly overflows. It create foam head, but never overflow to the collection cup. All of the crud sticks to the neck and collection cup cover.

In the beginning, I thought it was because I have very small bio load. Now I completed stocking my tank, and still the same.

Unread 02/28/2017, 09:57 AM   #5
MrineLfRlz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackTip View Post
I have the SRO-5000SSS and I have similar issues. I can't get it to skim consistently. Most of the skimates sticks to the neck walls, and it overflows frequently especially at night.

It sets at the proper depth, I clean it every few months and make sure the venturi is clean, I tune it where the small bubbles are in the body and larger bubbles are in the neck. Just like the photo posted.

It can go days without much skimates, then suddenly overflows. It create foam head, but never overflow to the collection cup. All of the crud sticks to the neck and collection cup cover.

In the beginning, I thought it was because I have very small bio load. Now I completed stocking my tank, and still the same.
Im going to take mine apart if i dont work this weekend and try a few things.

Unread 02/28/2017, 11:49 AM   #6
BlackTip
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrineLfRlz View Post
Im going to take mine apart if i dont work this weekend and try a few things.
Please keep me posted.

Unread 03/01/2017, 08:04 AM   #7
wtac
Registered Member

I've tried everything with the SRO5000sss for a friend and always the bloody thing overskims when least expected.

Though it could have been salt creep in the venturi so we've tried silicone grease coating the inner surface of the air inlet, drilled a hole for the ATO line into air muffler...no dice.

The only thing that kept it from dumping skimmate back into the system was to put a float switch in the skimmer cup for the APEX to shut it down when it gets full. Every two weeks, once a month once every tho months...even the day after. A strange and frustrating beast and will never buy nor recommend a RO skimmer with a BB pump to save ourselves the frustration.

wtac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2017, 06:37 PM   #8
MrineLfRlz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtac View Post
I've tried everything with the SRO5000sss for a friend and always the bloody thing overskims when least expected.

Though it could have been salt creep in the venturi so we've tried silicone grease coating the inner surface of the air inlet, drilled a hole for the ATO line into air muffler...no dice.

The only thing that kept it from dumping skimmate back into the system was to put a float switch in the skimmer cup for the APEX to shut it down when it gets full. Every two weeks, once a month once every tho months...even the day after. A strange and frustrating beast and will never buy nor recommend a RO skimmer with a BB pump to save ourselves the frustration.
Im seriously going to try a gate valve mod on the intake. The factory intake tube is 50mm thin walled pvc and its not long enough for a 90 to attach to so im ordering some metric pvc and im having a friend put it on a lathe at work and thinning out the ID for me so it will fit over the venturi seal and i will cut it as long as i need to attach a 90 then a gate valve hopefully i can tune in incoming water so to not over skim and as i build up more live stock i can adjust as needed
Friday i will be ordering my pvc pieces and go from there.
Not throwing in the towel just yet!

Unread 03/05/2017, 09:23 AM   #9
MrineLfRlz
Registered Member

I have my pvc parts ordered, when they come in i will plumb the exhaust properly and will do my gate valve mod for the intake its going to be tight being that i only have 3 1/2" of clearance but i think i can make it work.
While i had it tore down i inspected and cleaned everything and i did find some salt build up in the venturi but not much, everything else was fine.
As back up im putting in a pump shut off for my collection cup

Last edited by MrineLfRlz; 03/05/2017 at 09:28 AM.
Unread 03/05/2017, 10:13 AM   #10
wildman926
Registered Member

This line of skimmers are known to overflow. The problem is too much air is induced into the body. Put a valve on the muffler to adjust and restrict air flow, and watch your overflow problems go away.

The search function actually works quite well!!

Tanks:Planet Aquarium 150g LPS, Planet Aquarium 90g Softie
wildman926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2017, 10:58 AM   #11
MrineLfRlz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman926 View Post
This line of skimmers are known to overflow. The problem is too much air is induced into the body. Put a valve on the muffler to adjust and restrict air flow, and watch your overflow problems go away.
I will give this a try thank you very much for the info.

Unread 03/09/2017, 07:26 PM   #12
MrineLfRlz
Registered Member

Ok well i did the gate valve on the intake and i put the proper size pvc connector for the return, also did a thrown together mode to adjust the incoming air i have it wide open now because i want to see how well the fine adjustment i can make to both incoming water and exiting water flow.
Fingers crossed........

Unread 03/09/2017, 08:46 PM   #13
MrineLfRlz
Registered Member

Next week for a back up im adding the coralvue fw110 float switch just incase

Unread 03/15/2017, 08:53 PM   #14
MrineLfRlz
Registered Member

So far no overflows!
I did go ahead and make adjustments to the incoming air and with all my tweaks i have been skimming much drier, before i never could get it to skim drier and it would be a wet skim all the time.

Unread 03/16/2017, 09:47 AM   #15
BlackTip
Registered Member

Interesting: I ran my skimmer with air intake wide open and restricted without in differences. My air intake was going through a canister partially filled with carbon to purify out side air. The filter restricted the air intake. My skimmer was still overflowing. I removed the filter for wide open air intake, and the skimmer is still overflowing.

I am thinking this skimmer is designed for much bigger systems.

Unread 03/16/2017, 11:22 AM   #16
lagatbezan
Registered Member

I'm just curious, wouldn't limiting the air intake cause it to overflow even more because there is more water going into it then air?
The reason I ask this is because on my SRO3000 it always tends to overflow when the air intake gets calcium buildup in it causing the water level inside the skimmer to rise.

Current Tank Info: 300g
lagatbezan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2017, 11:30 AM   #17
henryle
Registered Member

Quote:
Interesting: I ran my skimmer with air intake wide open and restricted without in differences. My air intake was going through a canister partially filled with carbon to purify out side air. The filter restricted the air intake. My skimmer was still overflowing. I removed the filter for wide open air intake, and the skimmer is still overflowing.

I believe restricting the air intake allows the skimmer to create a more dense foam. This allows you to run the water lower but have more foam on top. More about the ratio of water to air because these pumps are able to bring in so much air

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

henryle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2017, 11:32 AM   #18
henryle
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagatbezan View Post
I'm just curious, wouldn't limiting the air intake cause it to overflow even more because there is more water going into it then air?
The reason I ask this is because on my SRO3000 it always tends to overflow when the air intake gets calcium buildup in it causing the water level inside the skimmer to rise.

How high is your water level inside the skimmer? I know when I first started, I kept the skimmer in too much water and this caused it to overflow. After raising it up an inch, I was able to skim much better

henryle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2017, 01:59 PM   #19
MrineLfRlz
Registered Member

Quote:

Well before i did these changes it couldnt dial it down, after all changes i can dial it down even more if needed. It is for sure over kill and the reason why i purchased it is because there was a great sale on them at the time.
The good thing about me being able to dial it in for the bio load i have now is its so over sized as my systems load increases with growth and a bigger DT in the future i can adjust as needed.

Unread 03/17/2017, 02:02 PM   #20
MrineLfRlz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryle View Post
I believe restricting the air intake allows the skimmer to create a more dense foam. This allows you to run the water lower but have more foam on top. More about the ratio of water to air because these pumps are able to bring in so much air

this is exactly what happened

Unread 03/17/2017, 02:04 PM   #21
MrineLfRlz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryle View Post
How high is your water level inside the skimmer? I know when I first started, I kept the skimmer in too much water and this caused it to overflow. After raising it up an inch, I was able to skim much better

Before the mods i lifted the skimmer up higher it ran ok for a couple days and it started overflowing again.

Unread 03/17/2017, 02:21 PM   #22
MrineLfRlz
Registered Member

skimmate is much darker now because its skimming drier

Unread 03/17/2017, 02:24 PM   #23
MrineLfRlz
Registered Member

here is what i did for the water intake

Unread 03/17/2017, 02:27 PM   #24
MrineLfRlz
Registered Member

Mind the tape please this is temporary i just need the connection sealed this i what i threw together for the air intake adjustments

Unread 03/17/2017, 02:28 PM   #25
MrineLfRlz
Registered Member