Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/10/2019, 04:46 PM   #1
TwoShoesOrOne
Registered Member

Calculation for # Fish

I've seen a few rules of thumb about bio load (such as 1" of fish per gallon), etc.

I was wondering if you should use the total volume of the system (display and sump) or just display?

Thank you.

TwoShoesOrOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2019, 04:52 PM   #2
lpsouth1978
Registered Member

This is a VERY general rule and will vary by fish. But to answer your question, I would use total system volume. Also it is 1" of fish (full grown) per gallon. Make sure you calculate based on the max size of each fish.

Unread 06/10/2019, 05:52 PM   #3
mcgyvr
Registered Member

And I'll answer its only display gallons and not total system gallons..

Unread 06/10/2019, 06:07 PM   #4
lpsouth1978
Registered Member

And this is why it is a general rule. There is no single correct answer. Some tanks can handle more fish than others, a lot of things will influence how many fish your system can hold before becoming a problem.

Unread 06/10/2019, 06:42 PM   #5
Anemone
Cloning Around

Quite frankly, it's a ridiculous rule, that fails to take into account inter- and intra-genus aggression, tank dimensions (a long tank isn't the same as a tall one) and type of fish (tell me an inch of dartfish equals an inch of tang)...

Kevin

Current Tank Info: Red Sea 425XL w/Kessil AP700, Vertex 180i Skimmer, 2 x Vortech MP40s
Anemone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2019, 07:00 PM   #6
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anemone View Post
Quite frankly, it's a ridiculous rule, that fails to take into account inter- and intra-genus aggression, tank dimensions (a long tank isn't the same as a tall one) and type of fish (tell me an inch of dartfish equals an inch of tang)...

Kevin
100% agree

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2019, 07:59 PM   #7
Sk8r
RC Mod

The most common mistake people make in stocking (outside of not knowing aggression level, which is often a function of overcrowding and panic) ---is not realizing these fish are shipped at a 'shippable' size, ie, tiny. Our store has an ever-so-cute 1.5" rabbitfish. The kicker is, it gets 10" long real fast and is venomous to boot. It gets more and more freaky as it grows and lacks room. This fish attacks when spooked. So ---look at the adult size, and plan for that. Don't think you can trade a 10" rabbitfish back to the lfs. They can't accommodate him, and finding a fellow hobbyist that wants him is real hard.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2019, 08:15 PM   #8
j.falk
Registered Member

And with that being said rabbitfish sales plummeted to an all time record low.

j.falk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2019, 09:08 PM   #9
TwoShoesOrOne
Registered Member

More confused

Okay, very simple rule of thumb is silly I agree. But if we are talking about bio load on the system I guess a good medium would be to consider a number based on being between the display and total display sump. So it might be
between 4 and 8.

I have a 25 gal displapy and 25 gal sump (filled to 15 gal) and 6
small fish which shouldn't grow too big I think
1-clown
2 damsels
2 spotted dominos
1 fire goby.

Thank you.

Unread 06/10/2019, 09:17 PM   #10
bshow24
Registered Member

Bio load isn't necessarily based on the sump. It's based on how much area there is for beneficial bacteria to grow, which typically is live rock and sand in the display. Of course if the sump has a decent sized refugium or some filtration process to help the bacteria (siphorax comes to mind) then of course that can help with bio load.

I personally take this process as a 2-step thought. 1) How many fish can fit in my DT? Once I get this answer then 2) Can my bacteria handle that?

Equipment: 2x Radion XR15 Pro, Radion XR30 Pro, Vectra M1 Return, 2x MP40 Powerhead
bshow24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2019, 10:26 PM   #11
Anemone
Cloning Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoShoesOrOne View Post
Okay, very simple rule of thumb is silly I agree. But if we are talking about bio load on the system I guess a good medium would be to consider a number based on being between the display and total display sump. So it might be
between 4 and 8.

I have a 25 gal displapy and 25 gal sump (filled to 15 gal) and 6
small fish which shouldn't grow too big I think
1-clown
2 damsels
2 spotted dominos
1 fire goby.

Thank you.
Four damsels and a clown in a 25 gallon tank may be pushing it. You don't say what type of clown, or what type of other damsels you have, but Dominos have a maximum size of 5", and can easily grow to 3+ inches. Depending upon the type of clown, it could also grow to 4+ inches.

Beyond the size issues, you could also have significant aggression. The bigger most damsels get, the nastier they get, and many damsels don't like other damsels. Clowns also get more aggressive as the age/grow too (they're damselfish as well!).

Good luck!

Kevin

Current Tank Info: Red Sea 425XL w/Kessil AP700, Vertex 180i Skimmer, 2 x Vortech MP40s
Anemone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2019, 03:55 AM   #12
j.falk
Registered Member

Dominos can get very aggressive as they get bigger. I know that from personal experience.

j.falk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2019, 09:02 AM   #13
TwoShoesOrOne
Registered Member

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anemone View Post
Four damsels and a clown in a 25 gallon tank may be pushing it. You don't say what type of clown, or what type of other damsels you have, but Dominos have a maximum size of 5", and can easily grow to 3+ inches. Depending upon the type of clown, it could also grow to 4+ inches.

Beyond the size issues, you could also have significant aggression. The bigger most damsels get, the nastier they get, and many damsels don't like other damsels. Clowns also get more aggressive as the age/grow too (they're damselfish as well!).

Good luck!

Kevin

Thanks for the information. I consider this to be the max I would ever have in this tank. I did notice some agression from one of the yellow tail damsels when I first added the Dominos, but it all seems to have calmed down now.

But I didn't really consider how big they might get. If I can get them to start smoking ciggarettes will that keep the size down? (-;

Unread 06/18/2019, 03:34 PM   #14
Sk8r
RC Mod

If you possibly can, return the dominos. Give them away. They'll do in the others. I've had a 'balanced' aggression damsel tank at 100 gallons, but a smaller one, no.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote