Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/16/2009, 09:32 PM   #1
aquainas
Registered Member

240g lee mar in-wall commences!

Finally I've got the go ahead from the boss lady to get this going, it may be a bit slow due to many specifics not being solidified yet, and of course the $$$ but it is on the way.

I would like to say thanks to all the reefers on this forum that I've gained insight and inspiration from, some of you are truly masters of your craft and it is because of you guys why I feel confident that this will be my best tank yet!

Time for the pics:

This showed up today!! Thought I missed them because the fedex guy left a notice but he made a second pass and here it is:

wife vs skimmer! lol

Will begin listing details as the days go by...

Current Tank Info: In-wall 240 Main display|MSX300|MP40W's|Radiums|Ecoxotic|Apex|Constant water change via LiterMeter III R.I.P
aquainas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/17/2009, 01:26 AM   #2
NexDog
Snail Killer

Good luck.

340g In-Wall Envision Tank and 150g Sump.

Current Tank Info: Deltec 902, PFO hood with 3x400w Radium 20k and 4x96w PC's. Hammerhead closed loop - and 2 x Tunze 6105 (and Vortech still sucks).
NexDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/17/2009, 05:02 AM   #3
byrdman81
Registered Member

Cant wait to see more love the tank!

Current Tank Info: 20 long nano currently working on 40 Breeder
byrdman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/17/2009, 05:22 AM   #4
ojafri
Registered Member

Tagging along....

ojafri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/17/2009, 05:41 AM   #5
Lightsluvr
Tangaroa to 500 gallons

Congratulations!

60 days ago, I was where you are today... it's pretty exciting and a little overwhelming.

Good luck on your build. We'll tag along.

LL

Click on my username and select "Lightsluvr's Home Page" for a recap of our build thread - AGE Hybrid Tank in a 500G system with dedicated fish room. (Takes a few minutes for photos to load) Leave a note if you stop by...

Current Tank Info: 350G AGE Hybrid reef tank. 500G+ total water volume. Three sumps for filtration. Barracuda Gold return and Hammerhead Gold closed loop pumps. DIY T5 light system on rails. MP40W x3 to supplement closed loop. 130G Water management system.
Lightsluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/17/2009, 06:01 AM   #6
serenity
Registered Member

Man you scored an AWESOME tank my friend! Greak looking skimmer too. Putting it next to the wife is neat as well, shows you how big it really is. Don't forget we love lots of pics .

Unread 07/17/2009, 08:13 AM   #7
aquainas
Registered Member

Re: Congratulations!

Quote:
Originally posted by Lightsluvr
60 days ago, I was where you are today... it's pretty exciting and a little overwhelming.

Good luck on your build. We'll tag along.

LL
Thanks alot....I think the most intimidating thing is cutting into the walls of a brand new house but it should be no biggie since I'm considered to be a jack of all trades

Master of none though.....well maybe one

Current Tank Info: In-wall 240 Main display|MSX300|MP40W's|Radiums|Ecoxotic|Apex|Constant water change via LiterMeter III R.I.P
Unread 07/17/2009, 08:38 AM   #8
aquainas
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by serenity
Man you scored an AWESOME tank my friend! Greak looking skimmer too. Putting it next to the wife is neat as well, shows you how big it really is. Don't forget we love lots of pics .
I was so upset when I thought I missed Fedex yesterday because Kel was home all day waiting on the window company to repair a bad seal on one of our sliding doors that let water in when it rained the night before, and after the guys left she stepped out for about 20mins and came back to find the notice on the door. I was very excited to inspect the quality of the skimmer, it was a bargain at only $399!!! and the 12" body is insane!!! (MSX300) for those who didn't catch it. Originally I was intent on an MRC mr-3R but my buddy talked me out of it due to the maintenance involved with the dual becketts...plus the 200w just to run the feed and recirc pump....this being my first big tank simplicity is key.

All that will be needed to prepare the tank is to remove the black background that began to peel during transportation and apply something else. I was thinking of removable styrofoam or ABS panels since I plan to service the tank from the garage only it will make it easier to see in alot of those hard to reach locations. Any other ideas?

Unread 07/17/2009, 04:02 PM   #9
aquainas
Registered Member

Equipment list

Ok so this is where I'm at:

Tank 96"x24"x24" 240 gallons 1.5" drain 1" return

90 gallon sump

MSX300 skimmer w/psk 2500 pumps and pinwheel
Eheim 1262 for return (slow flow), plenty of dwell time for the skimmer!

20 gallon fuge/frag tank

(2) maybe (3) MP40W's for circulation

(2)TLF reactors running GFO and carbon

Calcium reactor down the road since I will be purchasing all new coral and there will be very little demand for CA initially.

(4) 250w Reef Optix pendants on Bluewave ballasts w/phoenix 14k's, possibly some 10k's initially for growth.

Neptune Apex aquacontroller....hmm pre-order?

(2) Jager 150w heaters if necessary in the cooler months of AZ weather.

The tank will be be enclosed from the garage in its own room with an air duct directly above along with fans for added circulation and a de-humidifier....that's all for now...back to the 9-5!!!

Unread 07/17/2009, 08:42 PM   #10
aquainas
Registered Member

Just got home from work and fitted the skimmer parts together:

Unread 07/18/2009, 04:10 AM   #11
byrdman81
Registered Member

that is one big skimmer

Unread 07/18/2009, 07:05 AM   #12
sponger0
Registered Member

wow!!! thats a huge skimmer looks awesome. wifes not bad either...good job on aquiring both

sponger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2009, 08:13 AM   #13
aquainas
Registered Member

Thanks....I suppose there's room for both of them, definitely couldn't do without one or the other.

Getting my ballasts today so I will be firing up some lights over the tank to get an idea of how many I'll be using. Stand by for pics!

Unread 07/18/2009, 08:18 AM   #14
bennietheblenny
Registered Member

tagging along, skimmers awesome, i have a 300 on my 225, i did purchase extra pump for back up. good luck on your build and keep the pics coming.

bennietheblenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2009, 08:21 AM   #15
sponger0
Registered Member

hey you know what they say...boys and their toys lol

sponger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2009, 12:52 AM   #16
aquainas
Registered Member

Guys I've been busy today at the local Frag meet and decided to get a head start on some coral so I decided to make short work of a relatively simple project:

7g Nano cube with modified hood cut to fit under cabinet and 18w added for a total of 36w, Maxijet 400 and K1 for flow, 10lbs piece of LR and 1" of Caribsea Aragalive. I was really tempted to throw a halide on this for simplicity and par but that would have been WAY overkill!!!

The goods I scored from our local meet:

Kel getting the nano ready:

Removing fans from 7g nano cube hood to make room for additional reflector and bulbs:

Removing excess material to make the lighting fit under kitchen cabinets:

Double the wattage

Setting the tank in it's spot...for now:

Wide shot of the inhabitants! The tank is still very cloudy so I'll post a better pic tomorrow.

Unread 07/19/2009, 01:09 AM   #17
Garage1217
GET OFF MY LAWN

Right on man New builds are always very exciting! And yeah, I reconize a few of those items

If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it? ~ Albert Einstein

I'm just as bent as ever. Hellishly so ~ Captain Jack Sparrow

Current Tank Info: Systems and goodies by Lee-Mar / Coralvue / Neptune Systems / Jager / Spectrapure / Cree / Meanwell + more!
Garage1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2009, 04:13 AM   #18
byrdman81
Registered Member

very cool like the mods to the nano.

Unread 07/19/2009, 07:15 AM   #19
E.intheC
Registered Member

looks like a good start! Keep the pictures coming!

Unread 07/19/2009, 05:37 PM   #20
aquainas
Registered Member

Got this in yesterday:

Frags are looking good so far:

Unread 07/19/2009, 05:48 PM   #21
zef004
Registered Member.

Nice pick up on the tank and frags

Current Tank Info: 72x24x24glass/control by apex/ 523w LEDs/ ecobak/ 4x mp40w/ Itech 200
zef004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2009, 11:38 AM   #22
aquainas
Registered Member

I'm glad I picked it up....there were some nice pieces at the auction that would look awesome in the big tank when grown out.

Unread 07/20/2009, 11:40 AM   #23
ReefGuyFergie
Registered Member

Where did you get your tank from Aquainas. That is really nice. I'm just wandering who makes it?? Do they have a website??

ReefGuyFergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2009, 12:38 PM   #24
aquainas
Registered Member

I got the tank from a fellow reefer who was moving out of state. The manufacturer is Lee-Mar. You can contact your LFS who should be able to order one for you.

Unread 07/21/2009, 03:21 PM   #25
mrapisura
Registered Member

That Zenon Red grows pretty quickly. You will love it. It is a great red paly to have.

Current Tank Info: 12 Gal Aquapod, 3 gal picotope
mrapisura is offline   Reply With Quote