Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Non-Photosynthetic Corals
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/15/2019, 06:02 PM   #1
Mazzy
Registered Member

Yellow gorg behavior

I have a new yellow gorg - Diodogorgia nodulifera. I honestly don't know a lot about gorgs except that they are hard to deal with AND I also thought I was purchasing a photosynthetic one when I got this last week so I kinda am terrible with owning this species, but it is what it is. I have it now so I will attempt to keep it alive.

It is a very healthy specimen. I got it at a swap in a bin full of them all laying on top of each other. I picked one with polyps fully extended and it has kept it's polyps extended for the entire week so far that I've had it. I have been putting microfeed in the water column daily (I understand the nutrient overload risk and will take steps to hopefully prevent the worst of that) and today I did a 'direct' feeding (i.e. a few inches away flowing into ->) of the polyps.

My question is: The polyps are ALWAYS extended. Some closed a little with the direct feeding, assuming they caught some food, but opened right back up. Does this mean my gorg is starving and needs more or different food than I'm feeding? or are the polyps open because it's happy and catch a lot of food? or is there just no way to know what a non-brained animal is "thinking" and maybe it's fine and maybe it's not?

I can tell you it isn't super firm/standing completely upright. It's a little flopsy. I'll see about uploading a pic but I've only had it a week so it looks fine - for now.

Mazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2019, 06:09 PM   #2
Mazzy
Registered Member

Mazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2019, 05:55 AM   #3
noy
Registered Member

the polyps remaining open is a function of flow, time of day and the gorg sensing food in the water. it doesn't mean its starving.

BTW - this gorg won't attach to rock without you gluing the heck out of it.

noy is offline   Reply With Quote