Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/04/2006, 06:15 PM   #1
Black Mammoth
Premium Member

Need Help -> I want to go large...

Hello Everyone,

I posted a while back about going to a 6ft tank. I'm thinking around 300g. I don't think I want to go smaller than a 180g.

Currently I have a 75g. Anyway, when I first started I bought a used system and I really didn't know what I was getting in to. I knew the basic hardware and concepts, but that was about it. I have about a years worth of experience and I have had good success. In the meantime I have upgraded components, made my own stuff, and I've been pretty happy with the results.

Here is my problem. I'm building a house and I have the perfect spot for an in wall tank. Unfortunately due to housing costs where I live, I'm house poor. I don't have the 5k to 10k to do everything at once.

Is it possible to piece meal a big setup? For example, I would like to get large tank and put in my exisiting system; basically transfer everything from 75g in to this large tank. I would use my undersize equipment until I can afford everything. So for example:

Buy a 180g tank and put it in the wall. Use my 90lbs of rock, ASM G2 modded, T5 lights, Tunze, etc etc in this new tank. After I get more dough, add the proper amount of live rock and sand. Then upgrade the skimmer....then the chiller and lights and so on.

I know that my equipment isn't sufficient to run a large tank...but would it be sufficient to continue and support the 75g bioload in a large tank? I would think it would be OK, but I thought I would ask the Large Tank Crew.

Thanks

Black Mammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2006, 05:42 PM   #2
Black Mammoth
Premium Member

Anyone know or have any ideas?

Unread 06/06/2006, 06:14 PM   #3
Fiziksgeek
Registered Member

It would probably work. The biggest issue going from a 75 to a 180 is probably lighting. You will need to keep the bio load low of course. There are people out there who dont use a skimmer at all and have good success. If you go slow, and are dilligent with the normal maintenance, you'll probably be ok!

Fiziksgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2006, 06:21 PM   #4
Black Mammoth
Premium Member

Thanks. Lighting is a concern for me. I'm not sure how I'm going to handle it. I think for the inital switch over, I'll be OK. I have 4x54 T5s right now. My SPS and Clam are doing great under them. However, a 180g is 7" taller. At one point I was thinking about going to a 90g and just adding two more T5s. Now going to a 6ft tank, that brings up an interseting problem. I would like to keep the T5s, but they are too short. I was thinking about keep the 4x54 and then adding 2 175 MHs. I don't know if that will work because of physical constraints. Any thoughts?

Unread 06/06/2006, 07:03 PM   #5
steveo32
Registered Member

What if you were to add everyting and put all of it lets say to one side or as much as the light could cover ? then when you get more rock and lights them you could add to the oppisite side.

steveo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2006, 08:33 PM   #6
xdusty6920
Registered Member

my main two concerns are will you have enough flow to get that much water moving? also will your lights be enough to keep corals in a deeper tank? you might want to go ahead and get the lights, pumps, and tank at once. then when your ready, gradually upgrade the skimmer, CA reactor, rocks, and then livestock. that would be the approach id take at least.

xdusty6920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2006, 05:43 AM   #7
nyvp
Registered Member

you can also kinda only use center of tank. Use rock work to put your corals higher up so you dont need new lights ( they dont know they are sitting on bottom or center of tank ) and point a cheap power head or two at the corals so they have the flow they need.

nyvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2006, 11:08 AM   #8
spiderman2000
Premium Member

I also think it would work as long as you don't add anymore live stock, and add some more lights. and it wouldn't hurt to add some power heads.
you could also check craigslist and find a used 180 setup. and save some cash.

Current Tank Info: 46 bow FOWLR with a 15 Gallon sump. and a 20L Nano-Reef with 10 gallon sum... soon to be 1 180 gallon reef tank.
spiderman2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2006, 12:56 PM   #9
jaze36
Registered Member

I'm in the same boat you are right now Black Mammonth. What I did was down size my current tank to a smaller tank that did not cost as much to maintain,(maybe not an option for you, you could stay with your 75) and started to aquire what I need for the bigger tank project. I started with all the support stuff for the tank, sump refuge, lights,kalk & ca reactor, skimmer ect. I could not buy it all at once so I diy'ed what I could and there is still so more to go before I'm done. I also am always on the look out for used stuff that is good, and what I want for my project. I got my MH lights for $200 a dual 250w set up, complete.

I want the tank to be set up right and be fun for me to own. I felt if I rushed through my project to only get "good enough for now" I would create more problems for myself in the long run, and I wouldn't be happy with the set up I had. I also felt I would not have the success I want to have with live stock and get frustrated on that end as well.

Good luck with your project!

jaze36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2006, 02:51 PM   #10
alien9168
Registered Member

i think the cost of installing a large system in walll(down the road) would cost more than doing it upfront...why not simply install the tank with the new lighting, and a few powerheads....this would solve the flow and light problem...also if you put the contents of your 75 in a 300gallon tank...the bioload is bound to be low...
the cost of the tank itself will be expensive though...and thats, and lighting will be the most expensive thing for you at this point.

Another thing to consider--if this is a major priority for you--is cutting back on some of the items/luxuries you will be puting into the new house...if so, you could use this money for your tank.
As crazy as that may sound, there are ways to save alot of money w/o changing too many things you want in your new home.

BTW after reading your post...and seeing the 5-10k range...i would say that to start the tank up and get just enough flow and lights, you could get away with spending under 5k.

Wait to add more filtration, skimmer, doser etc.

Hope this helped and good luck..
definatly tagging btw.

Current Tank Info: I used to have a 30g custom acrylic cube sps, lps, zoos, mushrooms, leathers, 3" gigas+ anthias. 30Xg Sea Horse Tank...starting fresh...
alien9168 is offline   Reply With Quote