Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Neptune Systems
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/04/2012, 07:47 AM   #1
travis32
Registered Member

Programming: ATO Empty notification

Hello, I want to program an outlet on my apex to do the following.

I'm going to place a set of float switches in my top off bucket at the bottom. I'm going to plug the switches into an outlet on my apex. When the water is empty in the top off bucket I want the apex to detect that the switch is changed status and email me that the top off bucket is about empty.

Anyone have a suggestion how I would do that. Would the Apex detect if the switch is open or closed based on the switch plug in being in the outlet or would I have to have something plugged into the switches to show a power draw?

Thoughts?

I have a spare set of float switches from autotopoff.com I want to use for this.

Thanks,

travis32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2012, 07:50 AM   #2
RussM
Registered Member

What EXACTLY do you have from autotopoff.com? Just plain float switches, or one of their ATO controllers?

RussM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2012, 09:50 AM   #3
aquamanic
WHO DAT??

You should read/study the chapter in the User Guide on switches and the breakout box. Floats and any other type of continuity switch don't get connected to outlets. They terminate into a breakout box of some kind which in turn is connected to a special jack on the controller or one of the expansion modules.

Unread 05/04/2012, 10:09 AM   #4
travis32
Registered Member

Just the basic float switches. Not the ATO controller. I had been told I could use basic float switches to signal when some thing is empty or full. I wasn't sure how this was done through electricity... Maybe it's not?

Unread 05/04/2012, 10:47 AM   #5
Mpfaff77
Registered Member

You need the Neptune breakout box. That will detect your float switches. Upto 6 for each breakout box.

Ato_Jug(virtual outlet)
If switch1 closed then on
Defer 1:00 then on
If switch1 open then off

Sump_low ( virtual)
If switch2 closed then on
If switch2 open then off

Ato_Pump
Fallback off
Set off
If outlet Ato_jug = on then off
If sump_low = on then on
Defer 20:00 then on

Email alert
If outlet Ato_jug = on then on

That should Do it.

Mpfaff77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2012, 11:47 AM   #6
Mpfaff77
Registered Member

You need the Neptune breakout box. That will detect your float switches. Upto 6 for each breakout box.

Ato_Jug(virtual outlet)
If switch1 closed then on
If switch1 open then off

Sump_low ( virtual)
If switch2 closed then on
If switch2 open then off

Ato_Pump
Fallback off
Set off
If outlet Ato_jug = on then off
If sump_low = on then on
Defer 20:00 then on

Email alert
If outlet Ato_jug = on then on

That should Do it.

Unread 05/04/2012, 01:59 PM   #7
aquamanic
WHO DAT??

The float switches are just normal "dry" contact switches. They complete a circuit when closed and break the circuit when open. There's no voltage flowing through those wires - the system just detects continuity (or the lack of).

Because of this you can use not only float switches but a doorbell, magnetic window/door alarm switches, water sensors that are dry contact...just about anything that's normally open or closed (NO/NC). There's lots of applications for these type switches and they all will work on the controller.

Unread 05/08/2012, 09:26 AM   #8
travis32
Registered Member

Thanks Alan. So, Alan, you're saying a break out box is not needed. If the switch is on, the Netptune outlet detects that the switch is making contact?

Unread 05/08/2012, 09:31 AM   #9
aquamanic
WHO DAT??

No, you need the BoB or something similar DIY'd. Reason is you have up to 12 little wires coming from various switches, floats, whatever. Getting all of those back to the controller with little connectors and jacks would make the controller three times larger than it is. To get around that problem, the BoB was invented and works kind of like a consolidator of these wires. Those 12 wires (6 switches x 2 wires each) terminate in the BoB and in turn, one wire comes in from the BoB to the controller. Plus, this gives you the option to put the BoB (cheap) inside your stand with all that humidity and water and keep the controller (expensive) outside and far away. That's all the BoB does.

Unread 05/08/2012, 03:03 PM   #10
Mpfaff77
Registered Member

Breakout box is nice and tidy. 40 bucks on aquacave. Well worth it. Here it is with 5 floats connected. I used thermostat wires To extend float switch wires

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336510999.909754.jpg

Unread 05/11/2012, 09:12 AM   #11
travis32
Registered Member

Thanks guys. This makes more sense now to me.

Unread 05/11/2012, 10:35 AM   #12
RussM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpfaff77 View Post
Thanks for posting that pic... a number of people have asked to see what the redesigned BoB looks like, but no one had posted a pic. Neptune's web site still shows the old model.

RussM is offline   Reply With Quote