Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/21/2009, 11:42 AM   #1
iverson387
Registered Member

150 g loosing fish help??

I have a 150 gallon fish only and i keep loosing fish. It looks as if they are getting beat up. They are fine one minute then i turn around and there all beat up and swimming funny and die shortly after. This has happened with 3 fish so far and im unsure what is doing it. It is happpening in the middle of the day with all lights on. So far i have lost a juvenile blue angel, juvenile emperor angel(not in tank at same time bought as replacement), a 3 inch naso tang, and a 3 inch clown tang.

The fish i have in the tank are

2 inch maroon clown
5 inch lopezi tang
3 inch purple tang
2 inch sailfin tang
2.5 inch niger trigger
2.5 inch lionfish
4 inch pink bar goby
1 inch coral banded shrimp(trying to get out but dont think its him)

Now all of these fish have been together for a while except for the goby who was my most recent addition and hasnt been killed. It seems everytime i get a new fish they will be in the tank for 2-4weeks then get beaten up. Normally when i put in the fish the purple tang will mess with it for 2 or 3 minutes but doesnt actually do any harm. I think hes just tryin to show whos boss.

Who do you think would be killing my fish? Niger trigger- purple tang, lionfish could he be stinging these fish?

iverson387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2009, 11:55 AM   #2
DamnPepShrimp
Moved On

Have you witnessed any aggression? How big were the angels? My bet is aggression/bullying. Are you QTing the fish? I would QT them first, make sure they don't have any diseases and get them eating first.

DamnPepShrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2009, 11:56 AM   #3
danorth
Moved On

No clue. I would just keep from adding new fish and let things settle. Then, when you do decide to add something, make sure it is big, healthy, and went through QT first to make sure it isn't the fish.

danorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2009, 12:22 PM   #4
anbosu
Registered Member

I seriously doubt it is the lionfish, they are typically very docile. You do have a lot of pretty aggressive fish though, and it could easily be one of them.

anbosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2009, 01:04 PM   #5
GT3000XX
Registered Member

I would guess the Purple Tang.

GT3000XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2009, 05:20 PM   #6
iverson387
Registered Member

i know it is not disease the fish were quarantined and were all very healthy for at least 3-4 weeks in quarantine. The only aggression i usually notice is from the lopezi tang and purple tang and only happens when i first put in a new fish for afew minutes then they are fine. The fish are definitely getting beat up as they look great one minute then have ripped fins/bleeding and are swimming funny. also the angels were juveniles about 3 inches.

iverson387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2009, 05:23 PM   #7
anbosu
Registered Member

I would guess it is the clown, the trigger, or one of your tangs unless you have a hidden hitchhiker in your tank that is beating up your occupants.

anbosu is offline   Reply With Quote