Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/20/2017, 11:26 AM   #76
hubble
Registered Member

Very interesting read. I've always been told to keep pristeen water qty. 0 on everthing, and i have been doing that. Recently bought a rock piece with zoa's, mushrooms amd a small leather on it from a LFS. Was told the leather liked the water a little dirty. I didn't know what they were talking about. They were saying that you need a little nitrate and phos. because the corals feed on that. I do weekly water changes and keep nitrate and phos at zero. My corals do okay but not much grow at all. Was told to cut back on the water changes and see what happens. They have a large DT (260) and it looks amazing with water changes every couple months.

hubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2017, 02:39 PM   #77
Toby_Kourtney
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubble View Post
Very interesting read. I've always been told to keep pristeen water qty. 0 on everthing, and i have been doing that. Recently bought a rock piece with zoa's, mushrooms amd a small leather on it from a LFS. Was told the leather liked the water a little dirty. I didn't know what they were talking about. They were saying that you need a little nitrate and phos. because the corals feed on that. I do weekly water changes and keep nitrate and phos at zero. My corals do okay but not much grow at all. Was told to cut back on the water changes and see what happens. They have a large DT (260) and it looks amazing with water changes every couple months.
Raise your nutrient levels and see what happens. I'm doing the balling light method right now so I'm only doing water changes once a month and everything seems fine.

Toby_Kourtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2017, 04:38 PM   #78
Lsufan
Registered Member

I know it hasn't been but 3 or 4 days but have u noticed any difference yet in the corals after raising the alk?

Lsufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2017, 01:01 PM   #79
Toby_Kourtney
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsufan View Post
I know it hasn't been but 3 or 4 days but have u noticed any difference yet in the corals after raising the alk?
My calcium intake has gone up by 5 ml a day but growth has been about the same.

Unread 04/24/2017, 02:15 PM   #80
bif24701
Registered Member

I've been keeping NO3 5-10ppmwith potassium nitrate and my corals are doing great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kessil AP700/ MP60+6105
Kalk+2 part/ Cheato Fuge

Current Tank Info: 180 SPS Dominant
bif24701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2017, 10:47 PM   #81
Toby_Kourtney
Registered Member

I checked my levels today and they are as followed
No3-2 ppm
Po4-0.00 ppm
Alk-9.9
Calcium-400 ppm
I'm raising my alk and calcium dosing up 1 ml a day since they are dropping very slowly. I'm also going to raise my po4 dosing to .12 daily and no3 to 2 ppm daily.

Unread 04/25/2017, 02:46 AM   #82
Grimreaperz
Registered Member

Following! Great thread so far

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Grimreaperz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2017, 12:11 PM   #83
Toby_Kourtney
Registered Member

I got a couple of new acro frags that are known to be more sensitive then the easy sps I have. I got a BC spainbow and red planet from a local reefer last week. The red planet was brown when I got it but the entrusting base is starting to show red and the spainbow is getting it purple tips back

Unread 04/28/2017, 12:13 PM   #84
Toby_Kourtney
Registered Member

Here's a month of progress of my pink birdnest.

Unread 04/28/2017, 03:47 PM   #85
bertoni
RC Mod

Those links appear to be dead.

Unread 04/28/2017, 06:13 PM   #86
Toby_Kourtney
Registered Member

Here's the red planet and spainbow sorry I moved the pics to a different folder.

Unread 04/28/2017, 06:16 PM   #87
Toby_Kourtney
Registered Member

And the birdsnest's 1 month progress.

Unread 04/29/2017, 01:06 PM   #88
Toby_Kourtney
Registered Member

Unknown coral which has become one of my favorites. Here it is right before I started dosing nitrates and phosphates on Jan 1 and today.

Unread 05/05/2017, 12:27 PM   #89
Toby_Kourtney
Registered Member

I'm mixing a new ratio of nitrate and phosphate solution to dose. My current solution was 16:1 ratio of nitratehosphate and my nitrates have slowly climbed to 10 ppm the last month and phosphates have been slowly lowering to 0.00. The new solution will be a 9:1 ratio. I'm going to stop dosing nitrates and just dose phosphates and let my nitrates come down naturally.

Unread 05/19/2017, 12:08 PM   #90
Toby_Kourtney
Registered Member

So what I've discovered in the last few months is that phosphate levels didn't matter as much as I was led to believe. I'm running po4 at .3 now with zero issues. As soon as nitrates hit zero or above 5 I tend to have issues though. At zero I start to get more gha and anything above 5 coral growth slows significantly.

Unread 05/23/2017, 11:05 AM   #91
Mr. Manty
Registered Member

ok wait a second... Why would someone like me struggle with high nitrates when you have to dose them?

Sorry im still learning

Mr. Manty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2017, 12:44 PM   #92
Toby_Kourtney
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Manty View Post
ok wait a second... Why would someone like me struggle with high nitrates when you have to dose them?

Sorry im still learning
Could be your fish load, your type if filtration,how much you feed or a number of other things every tank is diiferent.

Unread 07/16/2017, 01:19 AM   #93
Toby_Kourtney
Registered Member

So today I accidentally dosed 1.26 ppm phosphates. My nitrates and phosphate containers look exactly the same so instead of dosing .1 phosphates and and 1 ppm nitrate I did the opposite. I think instead of trying to remedy the situation I'm going to let it ride. I figure the whole point of this thread was to see phosphates and nitrates effects on coral so ill update and tell everyone what happens.

Unread 07/16/2017, 08:59 PM   #94
bertoni
RC Mod

Well, I hope the tank pulls through. I suspect it'll be fine.

Unread 07/17/2017, 11:24 PM   #95
Toby_Kourtney
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
Well, I hope the tank pulls through. I suspect it'll be fine.
At this point if you didn't know any better you would think my perimeter were great. Sps, Lps, and zoanthids all look great. Right now my phosphates are 1 ppm and nitrates are 20. I think I may leave it like this for a while and see what happens.

Unread 07/18/2017, 06:04 PM   #96
bertoni
RC Mod

We don't actually know that high phosphate levels do much except likely slow down calcification a bit. Tanks with high mineralized nutrients like nitrate and phosphate often seem to have problems, but it could be due to factors correlated to nutrients, like organics in the water column. I would be cautious with dosing mineralized nutrients, but there's not much evidence of harm for a fairly wide range of dosing levels.

Unread 07/18/2017, 06:21 PM   #97
Toby_Kourtney
Registered Member

Quote:
We don't actually know that high phosphate levels do much except likely slow down calcification a bit. Tanks with high mineralized nutrients like nitrate and phosphate often seem to have problems, but it could be due to factors correlated to nutrients, like organics in the water column. I would be cautious with dosing mineralized nutrients, but there's not much evidence of harm for a fairly wide range of dosing levels.
From what I've read their are several studies that contradict each other. Most studies say it affects the density of the coral. Richard Ross theory is the reason it affects density is not because it is slow calcification but the opposite. He theorized that the reason the coral is less dense is because the coral is growing much faster and this causes the coral to be less dense. I just got back from world wide coral last week and the manager showed me his charts on their biggest sps tank and the phosphates hovered around .2 ppm and nitrates were at 15 ppm. I can honestly say that world wide corals 500 gallon sps is the nicest tank I've seen. My plan was to keep phosphates around .5 and nitrates at 20 ppm before the mix up 3 days ago. My plan is to maintain elevated levels for a year since I figure that's a long enough period to prove or disprove this theory.

Unread 07/18/2017, 07:00 PM   #98
bertoni
RC Mod

That's another interesting data point and line of thought. If testing the organics in a water sample were straightforward, we might be able to get more information on the issue in a reasonable fashion, but I don't know of any technology in sight that would help.

Unread 07/19/2017, 06:36 PM   #99
Dan_P
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby_Kourtney View Post
My plan is to maintain elevated levels for a year since I figure that's a long enough period to prove or disprove this theory.
Looking forwards to year end results.

One experiment that is not well controlled for the many variables in an aquarium may not prove anything. Also, in science, a theory isn't proven, it just fails to be disproven up to the current moment. I don't mean to be discouraging, just wanted to point out to other citizen scientists that studying biological systems is notoriously difficult. Sometimes doing nothing and just waiting obtains the same results as the experimental conditions or latest additive on the market. You probably learned a lot, and certainly enjoyed the study, but it would probably take you years of experimenting to understand the relationship of elevated nitrate and phosphates on coral growth.

Dan_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2017, 06:54 PM   #100
Dan_P
Registered Member

Quote:
That's another interesting data point and line of thought. If testing the organics in a water sample were straightforward, we might be able to get more information on the issue in a reasonable fashion, but I don't know of any technology in sight that would help.
The trouble with total organic compound concentration is that you have no idea what the compounds are. You would need to know at least something about their structure to learn anything. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that some aquarist do well with high TOC levels while others spend money and time getting them down. Ken Feldman has published on this topic in Advance Aquarist. Maybe it will take a complete cataloging of all species through DNA analysis to really understand an aquarium's potential to cultivate coral.

Dan_P is offline   Reply With Quote