Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/29/2018, 05:43 AM   #1326
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Cox View Post
Hi,
Beautiful tank! Question on your GoPro. Do you use it for stills as well as video or just video? If stills, do you have a remote or do you use a timer?

Thanks!
Hi, thanks.

I use it just for video. I never tried to take still pictures while the camera was submerged in water. I never thought about it to be honest, but I will try. That said, when I took still pictures when the camera was outside the tank, I was not very impressed with the pictures when I place the camera close to objects. I got a concave-looking images. It is possible that I did not use the right settings.

65G SPS Reef- ATI 8 X 39W PM; TM [Bacto-Balance A-; Reef Actif; Nitribiotic; Iodine]
DiscusHeckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2018, 05:53 AM   #1327
Patrick Cox
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscusHeckel View Post
Hi, thanks.

I use it just for video. I never tried to take still pictures while the camera was submerged in water. I never thought about it to be honest, but I will try. That said, when I took still pictures when the camera was outside the tank, I was not very impressed with the pictures when I place the camera close to objects. I got a concave-looking images. It is possible that I did not use the right settings.

Thanks. How do you take your stills?

Unread 03/29/2018, 06:21 AM   #1328
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:
Thanks. How do you take your stills?
I use a Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ3 digital camera, which can take up to 5 megapixel pictures and has a macro function. For top-down photos, I use an acrylic coral viewer and use the macro setting of the camera.

My next top-down pictures will be taken underwater with the GoPro.

65G SPS Reef- ATI 8 X 39W PM; TM [Bacto-Balance A-; Reef Actif; Nitribiotic; Iodine]
Unread 03/30/2018, 07:36 AM   #1329
Alex Costa
Registered Member

Quote:
Hi, thanks.

My daughter's cam (Xiaomi 4K) has two modes, and one of them is "wide".
In this mode the lens works like a wide angle lens giving the concave aspect that you mentioned.
When I started recording with it I used sometimes and only after search a little in the options I found a way to change it to a "regular" mode (don't remember how it is called) with a narrow view.

http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index.php/current-issue/article/153-tank-of-the-month

Current Tank Info: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2596707
Alex Costa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2018, 11:30 AM   #1330
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Costa View Post
My daughter's cam (Xiaomi 4K) has two modes, and one of them is "wide".
In this mode the lens works like a wide angle lens giving the concave aspect that you mentioned.
When I started recording with it I used sometimes and only after search a little in the options I found a way to change it to a "regular" mode (don't remember how it is called) with a narrow view.
Thanks Alex. This is a useful information. I will play with my camera's settings.

Unread 03/30/2018, 02:46 PM   #1331
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Update:

It is a confession time. I am not very good at keeping anthias alive. One of the three red saddleback anthias (P. flavoguttatus) I purchased recently died a few hours ago. Its stomach was badly emaciated. This is very puzzling to me because it ate very eagerly and even more eagerly than the evansi anthias, which I purchased at the same time. And yet the evansi anthias are still alive and kicking. This knocks my confidence in keeping anthias in general and deep water ones in particular.

On a more cheerful note, PO4 has finally blinked and has come down just under 0.14 mg/L. I carried out four water changes this week (4 X 12%). I am still using FM Ultra Phos (75 gram per 250L). NO3 is steady at 2.5 ppm. I have recently decided to reset my tank in the sense that I am taking it back to the state it was in before I had replaced my previous protein skimmer, Deltec SC 1350, with an oversize skimmer, Deltec SC 1455 last August. The first step I have taken is to decommission the Deltec SC 1455 and restart using my old Deltec SC 1350. I have never been happy with the former because I could not get consistent foam head even though it produced good skimmate. The second step I have taken is to start to dose the same amount of Bacto-Balance I was dosing last August. Finally, I have stopped overfeeding my fish and gone back to my 3-frozen-cube of food-a-day routine despite having more fish than I did last August. I will eventually increase the amount of food once PO4 is under control and corals' colours go back to what they were last August.

The corals keep going even though their colours have suffered quite a bit. However, I am generally content with them.

Finally, here are a few recent photos. The first five were taken last week and the last three were taken a few hours ago:

P1110502

P1110510

P1110516

P1110523

P1110542

P1110554

P1110560

P1110564
Suffering colors?!? Bulent, your tank is looking fantastic. Those top downs are just gorgeous.
It’s funny how we always have to tinker, even when things seem pretty darn good.
Your fts also looks so mature and grown in.

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2018, 05:24 AM   #1332
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
Suffering colors?!? Bulent, your tank is looking fantastic. Those top downs are just gorgeous.
It’s funny how we always have to tinker, even when things seem pretty darn good.
Your fts also looks so mature and grown in.
Thanks for your encouraging feedback, Matt.

I have finally arrested the rampant PO4. It is now a matter of fine tuning it to ensure that it is balanced with NO3 and that colours look a littler sharper and deeper. FM UltraPhos coupled with NP-Bacto-Balance have started to produce results. My aim is to stop using Ultra Phos in long term. I aim to reduce PO4 down to 0.046 mg/L over the next month and will then decide whether or not this level can be sustained without the use of UltraPhos.

I have just tested my tank water. Both NO3 and PO4 seem in good balance (10:1). The other water parameters seem fine too, but I will nevertheless increase both KH and Ca a tad higher to ensure that coral growth will not stall.

KH = 6.4 dKH
C = 385 ppm
Mg = 1360 ppm
K = 440 ppm
NO3 = ~ 1 ppm
PO4 = ~0.092 mg/L

PS. I may have committed a cardinal sin yesterday by buying a bird of paradise seriatopora frag from a fellow reefer. I will not attach the frag to live rock until I assess its growth rate and colouration. I always thought Seriatopora and Stylophora are weeds of the SPS world, but I wanted a change from Acroporids.

Last edited by DiscusHeckel; 03/31/2018 at 05:29 AM.
Unread 03/31/2018, 07:20 AM   #1333
Alex Costa
Registered Member

Quote:
I always thought Seriatopora and Stylophora are weeds of the SPS world, but I wanted a change from Acroporids.
You're right....they are.....
I can't resist them too...I have both Seri and Stylo pink in my tank.
I like very much the colour and the formation....and the plus: they give the tank some variety...

http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index.php/current-issue/article/153-tank-of-the-month

Current Tank Info: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2596707
Alex Costa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2018, 11:58 AM   #1334
Patrick Cox
Registered Member

Quote:
Hi, thanks.

Hi,
I just tried my GoPro in my tank and the video is very blue. Do you use a red filter on yours? If so, which one do you suggest? Or some other technique. I have a Hero4 Silver and I don't think I can adjust the white balance.

Thanks.

Unread 03/31/2018, 03:16 PM   #1335
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:
Hi,
I just tried my GoPro in my tank and the video is very blue. Do you use a red filter on yours? If so, which one do you suggest? Or some other technique. I have a Hero4 Silver and I don't think I can adjust the white balance.

Thanks.
Hi,

I do not use any filter nor do I adjust or edit image quality before or after recording. For what it is worth, I have T5s over my tank. The only two things I adjust are "stabilise shaky video" and "fix rolling shutter". I use iMovie on my iMac.

You need to make sure that your hands do not block any lights during recording. In other words, the back of your camera should receive lights.

Next time I use my camera, I will try to create those conditions that cause objects to be recorded blue, so that you can avoid them. My camera is with its rightful owner, my son, at the moment. He is in the Alps, but will be back home next week.

Unread 06/03/2018, 02:39 PM   #1336
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Update:

Latest test results

SG = 35 ppt
NO3 = 2.5 ppm
PO4 = 0.092 mg/L
KH = 6.4 dKH
Ca = 425 ppm
Mg = 1345 ppm
K = 410 ppm

Dosing regimen (daily):

NP-Bacto-Balance = 1.8 ml
K+ = 0.7 ml
A- = 2.5 ml
KZ Sponge Power = 2 drops

Other dosing regimen:

TM Pro-iodine = 3 times a week
TM Reef Actif = 1/2+ of recommended dose once a week
AF Reef Vitality = 1 drop every other day (I started yesterday)

I do not think KZ sponge power and AF Reef Vitality are necessary to dose, but I do not want them to go to waste. I paid for them. I may as well use them.

I am now using FM Ultra Phos on a permanent basis in a reactor. I use 100 grams at a time and replace once every ten days. The fact that Ultra Phos adsorbs organics means that I no longer use GAC.

I have removed two large Acropora colonies recently to allow my favourite Acropora colonies to grow even larger. I have recently considered upgrading my tank and have even chosen what tank I am going to get, but a sudden change in my personal circumstances means that this is not going to happen for a foreseeable future, if at all. I ordered new ATI tubes from Germany, which means that I will be sticking with my present tank for at least another year.

Moreover, I was away for two-weeks and came back a few days ago. My neighbour could not look after my tank. So, the fish had to go through a crash course to learn to eat flakes. I set up my Eheim Auto-feeder for them. When I came back last Thursday, both corals and fish were as good as I left them. Yippee.

Finally, here are a few photos I took last night and today:

P1110700

P1110705

P1110710

P1110713

P1110717

P1110776

P1110779

P1110781

P1110782

P1110783

Unread 06/07/2018, 04:57 PM   #1337
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Today's test results:

NO3 = 0.2-0.5 ppm
PO4 = 0.046-0.092 mg/L
KH = 6.7 dKH

Today's photos:

P1110809

P1110814

P1110817

P1110821

P1110834

P1110860

P1110871

P1110874

Unread 06/07/2018, 08:57 PM   #1338
watchguy123
Registered Member

Spectacular colors

Current Tank Info: 180 Bowfront, 30 gallon sump, 20 gallon refugium, reeflo dart/snapper hybrid pump, 2 x 6105 Tunze ,Tunze ATO, dual chamber CA reactor, 3 x250 metal halides with 2x t5 actinic supplement, Reefbrite Blue XHO's dawn/dusk
watchguy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2018, 03:02 AM   #1339
Big E
Registered Member

Beautiful Bulent!!

reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2197142&page=31

Ed
Big E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2018, 05:34 AM   #1340
tripdad
Frustrated Stick Gardener

Corals look great to me!

Current tank: 65 gal DSA rimless, mixed reef, 20 gal sump, T5 6bulb, big skimmer, 40B Fowler, 20 gal sump, 4 bulb T5
tripdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2018, 07:05 AM   #1341
Pife
Registered Member

Good looking growth going on man. Do you typically keep your alkalinity sub 7?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ 12 ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 70 Return ~
Pife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2018, 10:16 AM   #1342
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchguy123 View Post
Spectacular colors
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big E View Post
Beautiful Bulent!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripdad View Post
Corals look great to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pife View Post
Good looking growth going on man. Do you typically keep your alkalinity sub 7?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Thank you for your compliments everyone.

Brandon, yes, I do keep it below 7 dKH, usually between 6.4-6.7 dKH (on Salifert Alkalinity scale).

Unread 06/08/2018, 10:25 AM   #1343
naecO.rM
Registered Member

Bülent your corals are amazing as usually.
Thanks for your update and pictures.

naecO.rM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2018, 07:35 AM   #1344
janci
Registered Member

When my reef is big, it wants to be just like this one... gorgeous, colourful and amazing.

janci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2018, 01:40 PM   #1345
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by naecO.rM View Post
Bülent your corals are amazing as usually.
Thanks for your update and pictures.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janci View Post
When my reef is big, it wants to be just like this one... gorgeous, colourful and amazing.
Thank you.

Unread 06/16/2018, 05:29 PM   #1346
markalot

Excellent Bulent, the acros look fantastic.

Unread 09/19/2018, 08:04 AM   #1347
janci
Registered Member

I hope all is going well Bulent.
It does not happen to often to not seeing you posting those awesome photos.

Unread 09/20/2018, 07:32 AM   #1348
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by markalot View Post
Excellent Bulent, the acros look fantastic.
Thanks for your kind comments, Mark.

Sorry for the late response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janci View Post
I hope all is going well Bulent.
It does not happen to often to not seeing you posting those awesome photos.
Hi mate,

I appreciate your compliment.

I seem to spend more time on Facebook than on forums recently as it is much easier to communicate with and follow fellow reefers' reefing adventures around the world.

My Acroporids have grown so much that I had to carry out a major deforestation exercise yet again. My tank needs to recuperate before I take FTS again. In the meantime, I would like to share an iPhone picture of my red planet "frag", which went to a good home last month. This particular piece was 7" X 5".

IMG_4973

I was pleased with its growth considering it was only under 2" in March 2017:

P1090788

I am at a stage where I am not sure about the direction of my reef tank as I feel that I am slightly bored of looking at the same "picture on my wall". Even though my enthusiasm for reefkeeping has not yet waned, I feel that it is time to make a change. Upgrade is out of question. Instead, I am considering removing either one or both of the two largest colonies from my tank, A. gomezi and the tabling A. microclados. If I were to find a buyer, I also would not mind removing my entire massive branching rock, half of which is encrusted with a huge M setosa colony, but that would probably be too radical to my liking.

Other than that everything is plodding along nicely despite the fact that I had to leave my tank either unattended or in the care of my family on four different occasions this summer.

Unread 09/20/2018, 08:41 PM   #1349
Ancelot
Registered Member

It’s hammer time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 09/22/2018, 04:16 AM   #1350
janci
Registered Member

The boredom of a well faring reef tank... Reef goals!