Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/06/2019, 07:11 AM   #1
Tanthaitrung
Registered Member

Keeping haddoni unmoving

Dear all,

I have 2 carpets, 1 blue and 1 pink. They are staying in the lids but start moving. I had 2 crabs few days ago and now hosting on the carpets (sorry, can not attach pics)

I want the carpets to stay in the lids. Could you please show me how to do?

Thanks so much
Khanh

Tanthaitrung is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2019, 02:08 PM   #2
OrionN
Moved on

Anemones are mobile, the only way you can keep anemone from moving is provide them the condition they needed.

What type of carpets? Haddoni need bright light, not a lot of current, LPS type of current , deep sand bed3-4 inches. They need clean, stable water, stable temperature, and deep enough sand that they sometime pull completely under the sand. If you can provide them with this, they likely not going to move.

Gigantea Carpets require very bright light, even higher than high light SPS. High alternating current, and clean stable water. They stays on the rock, or at the sand rock intern-phase. Provide them with this and they won't move.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2019, 02:17 PM   #3
OrionN
Moved on

I look at some of your older posts, what you have are Haddoni. The last picture you have of them, they have very coarse rocks for substrate. I would remove those rock and change it for sugar fine sand. That should help. Bright light. Current not enough to lift their oral plates should be about right. Feeding them would not hurt either.

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
Unread 04/06/2019, 07:02 PM   #4
Tanthaitrung
Registered Member

Thanks so much OrionN

I have some questions

Somebody tells me, feeding regularly and if clownfish, shrimp or crab hosting the haddoni it will not move. Is that truth?

I used to have a pair of Picasso clownfish, that did not host the haddoni, but after few months they hosted and when I fed them fully, later fed the haddoni but they always picked and threw the food away. Why?

My friend bought a pair of Black Storm clownfish (5 inch) few weeks ago. They hosted the bubble tip after putting tank. Last few days they did not host anymore and the day after they were dead (eating well, no sign of sick). What do you think about this?

Thanks again
Khanh

Unread 04/06/2019, 09:22 PM   #5
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Carpet anemones are typically not moving around much. If they do then something is seriously bothering them.
I have a tank with 3 haddonis and 3 more in quarantine/treatment. Except for the largest, none of them has moved more than a few inches after I put them in the tank.
So if yours are roaming the tank then something is off.

Fish, crabs, and shrimp can't stop an anemone from moving if it isn't happy in its location. I seriously doubt that crabs and shrimp have any effect at all or are actually concerned with the location of their anemone.
Clownfish may sometimes get their anemone to move a little bit if the anemone's foot gets too close to the fish's nest.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2019, 12:15 AM   #6
Tanthaitrung
Registered Member

Thanks ThRoewer ��

Unread 04/07/2019, 07:28 AM   #7
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanthaitrung View Post
....Somebody tells me, feeding regularly and if clownfish, shrimp or crab hosting the haddoni it will not move. Is that truth?
Anemone does not move when they are happy. Feeding the anemone will get them bigger quicker but if the condition is not acceptable for the anemone, he will move.
Feeding will not stop that IMO.
Quote:
I used to have a pair of Picasso clownfish, that did not host the haddoni, but after few months they hosted and when I fed them fully, later fed the haddoni but they always picked and threw the food away. Why?
Several things. From what you wrote, I can deduce that your anemone is not in optimal shape. An healthy Haddoni will not have his food taken away once he get hold of the food. Their sting are so strong, the tentacles will rip off and not let go. The also fold over the food to protect it from fish.
You fish doe snot "..picked and threw the food away.." Rather they are stealing the food from the anemone and cannot eat it because the piece is too large.
feed the fish first so they are full. Use a stick to protect the anemone so weaken anemone have a chance to eat without fish stealing the food. Once the anemone is healthy, such action is not needed.
Quote:
My friend bought a pair of Black Storm clownfish (5 inch) few weeks ago. They hosted the bubble tip after putting tank. Last few days they did not host anymore and the day after they were dead (eating well, no sign of sick). What do you think about this?
Both fish died at the same time, after looking well and eating points toward tank/environment condition rather than health of the fish.
Does he have a sump or a skimmer? often fish died due to hypoxemia at night in marginal tanks with no overflow or skimmer. In these case, perfectly healthy fishes will die overnight. One or multiple fishes will died but sometime not all. Some fish are more tolerance to hypoxemia than other.

Unread 04/07/2019, 06:36 PM   #8
Tanthaitrung
Registered Member

Thanks so much OrionN,

Some more questions

About my Picasso:
- People tells me, the hybridization clownfish does not host the anemone. My Picassoes did not host at first, but after few months they did. Did they need time to adapt anemone’s tentacles?

- I read somewhere that the clownfish usually bring food for anemone. Opposite, I fed them fully first, then fed the haddoni but they always pick out and threw away (they could not eat because they were full). What a strange action.

About my friend’s Black Storm clownfishes:
- Yes, he has sump and skimmer. You may right, but the important information is the day before their death they did not host the bubble tip. What do you think?

Many thanks

Unread 04/07/2019, 07:15 PM   #9
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanthaitrung View Post
Thanks so much OrionN,

Some more questions

About my Picasso:
- People tells me, the hybridization clownfish does not host the anemone. My Picassoes did not host at first, but after few months they did. Did they need time to adapt anemone’s tentacles?
Not true

Quote:
- I read somewhere that the clownfish usually bring food for anemone. Opposite, I fed them fully first, then fed the haddoni but they always pick out and threw away (they could not eat because they were full). What a strange action.
I am not sure. Fish often steal food from anemones

Quote:
About my friend’s Black Storm clownfishes:
- Yes, he has sump and skimmer. You may right, but the important information is the day before their death they did not host the bubble tip. What do you think?
BTA are not natural host of Ocellaris. Highly inbred clown fish are prone to dying, but both the same night is strange, unlikely due to the fish but much more likely due to the tank condition. Sump and or Skimmer should keep the O2 up and they did not died of hypoxemia. I don't know why the died. Even with some really virulent disease, they don't cause death overnight. Maybe something happen to the management of the tank that shock it. Temp, Too quick Kalk, or carbonated or other caustic additive.

Unread 04/07/2019, 07:19 PM   #10
Tanthaitrung
Registered Member

Big thanks OrionN