Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/26/2017, 07:13 PM   #1
MG98
Registered Member

Time for a new return pump

Looking at the vectra, eheim, and sicce, models.

My main criteria is quiet, followed closely by heat output.

I'll be running submersible for a 120g with sump under the stand. I live in Florida so a little heat output is ok to keep the tank slightly above room temp. Any more than that and not a lot of margin for error with a power outage in the summer.

What are your views on the above models, goods, bads, others...?

MG98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2017, 07:54 PM   #2
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

Ehiem have legendary reliability and performance. They will put out a bit of heat.

I like Laguna Max Flow. Pretty quiet and reliable. These will put off a bit of heat too.

If you use a DC pump externally you will get less heat, but they have not even been on the market long enough to call them reliable compared to the two above. I don't trust them yet, but I did have four fail on me so perhaps I am biased. I did not follow one of my own principals and wait until I see a 5+ year track record being the norm and not the exception.

I need all the heat that I can get, so I am in a different spot than you.

jda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2017, 08:22 PM   #3
marper331
Registered Member

I've been using an Eheim for the last year and it's been running strong and fairly quiet. Recently I installed a couple of mp40s so I'm probably going to pick up a vortech M1 just to be able to sync them up for ease of control when feeding and doing water changes.

marper331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2017, 08:42 PM   #4
TigeBell
Registered Member

I have been using a Vectra M1 for 2 months now and enjoy the lack of noise coming from the pump. Not having issues with heat from the return pump either.

I can say that the M1 is quieter then the Sicce 5.0 and less heat. I do like Sicce but I think the best bang for your dollar is the Vectra and the adjustability it has.

Red Sea Reefer 350 | Hydra TwentySix HD
http://www.aquaticlog.com/aquariums/tigebell/1
TigeBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2017, 09:03 PM   #5
tmnigat
Registered Member

Not the brands you listed but I have a Jebao DCP-8000 thats been rock solid and 1/3 the price of the Vectra's. Having a DC pump with a controller really is nice being able to fine tune the pump to my overflow.

Time will tell on quality/reliability for the Jebao.

tmnigat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2017, 09:03 PM   #6
MG98
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigeBell View Post
I can say that the M1 is quieter then the Sicce 5.0 and less heat. I do like Sicce but I think the best bang for your dollar is the Vectra and the adjustability it has.
Having run both, is the $150 price differential worth it? The sicce markets itself as a silent pump but that's obviously not the case. How noticeable is the noise?

I keep the house at 76-77 at the high end in the summer and occasionally 73-74 when it's cool outside. Pumps are way more reliable than heaters so a pump that can keep 120g 2-3 degrees above ambient temp would be optimal for me.

Unread 02/26/2017, 09:15 PM   #7
Potatohead
Registered Member

For AC pump I would do Tunze 1073.04 or Eheim Compact 3000. The 1262 is a good pump too which will last forever, but a bit of a power hog.

Potatohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2017, 09:16 PM   #8
Xandernfs
Registered Member

You may also want to check out the Reef Octopus Varios series. They seem to be quite. Ice from what I've read.

Xandernfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2017, 10:19 PM   #9
TigeBell
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG98 View Post
Having run both, is the $150 price differential worth it? The sicce markets itself as a silent pump but that's obviously not the case. How noticeable is the noise?

I keep the house at 76-77 at the high end in the summer and occasionally 73-74 when it's cool outside. Pumps are way more reliable than heaters so a pump that can keep 120g 2-3 degrees above ambient temp would be optimal for me.
The Vectra is a DC pump while the Sicce 5.0 pump is AC. The less power the DC pump will push out will save you money in the long run. So, yes the cost is better with the Vectra.

As for heat:

Vectra L1 noise with responses: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2584324

Noise Vectra:

It is hard to explain the difference in the noise other then the Sicce was louder then the M1.

Unread 02/26/2017, 10:35 PM   #10
JUNBUG361
Registered Member

+1 on vectors m1

JUNBUG361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2017, 11:16 PM   #11
scuzy
Registered Member

Red dragons are super nice too but it's price way up there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2017, 11:52 PM   #12
Lsufan
Registered Member

I like my ehiem 1262, it has been reliable & I don't have any problems with heat. I live in Louisiana & run mh & the heat still isn't bad enough to where I have to run a chiller. During the summer I put a fan on my sump & it's enough to keep the tank temp less then 80 degrees, but most of the heat is from the lighting not the pump.

If u decide on a ac pump I would look into the fluval sp series. My fluval sp6 has been my favorite return pump that I have used. I like my ehiem but I like the fluval more. There isn't a pump in it's price range that I would trade it for & heat won't be a issue. The sp4 would probably be enough for a 120.

Lsufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2017, 06:02 AM   #13
billdogg
Registered Member

I'm going to vote for a eheim 1262 as well. They are, by far, the most reliable pump I have ever owned. One of the 2 that I use is well over 30 years old and going strong. I have replaced it's impeller once and clean it maybe once a year. It sits on a silicone hot pad to dampen vibration that otherwise would be transmitted to the glass bottom of the sump, but is otherwise dead silent.

Although there are pumps out there that use less electricity and perhaps produce less heat, none have the track record of the eheim.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2017, 07:10 AM   #14
f3honda4me
Registered Member

I have had all 3. Sicce, eheim, vectra. I'm running the vectra now. It's the best of the three because it's barely audible and zero heat. The sicce isn't silent and the eheim bleeds heat.

f3honda4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2017, 07:21 AM   #15
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Any pump run as a submersible is going to add heat to the tank. I am using a Vectra M1 externally, and it gets warm to the touch. To the point from earlier, even though the Vectra may be a step above the rest of the Chinese pumps, it's not been in the market long enough to judge much about reliability.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2017, 07:44 AM   #16
MG98
Registered Member

Just to clarify, a little heat is a good thing for me as it reduces my reliance on heaters. I just don't want a LOT. I'm zeroing in on the eheim and the fluval sp4 looks interesting as well.

Seems like people either love the vectra or think it's overpriced for its drawbacks.

Unread 02/27/2017, 08:08 AM   #17
billdogg
Registered Member

I've never used one, but for over double the cost of a 1262 the vectra better be a really good pump. ($159/$359)

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2017, 08:24 AM   #18
TigeBell
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdogg View Post
I've never used one, but for over double the cost of a 1262 the vectra better be a really good pump. ($159/$359)
DC and AC pump. DC pumps are already higher in cost

Unread 02/27/2017, 08:31 AM   #19
ktownhero
Registered Member

Eheim is the king of reliability, hands-down. Sicce pumps are reasonably reliable from what I understand though don't get caught up in their fake "silent" marketing; they are louder than Eheim. I tried Sicce as a return but was unhappy with the noise so I went back to my Eheim 1262. The Eheim will put out a hum but as long as you use some silicone tubing, it is pretty darn quiet. I hear that the Fluval SP series are very quiet and reliable but have never personally tried them.

I can't speak to DC pumps from personal experience but I'll share what my own research has told me. The Reef Octopus Varios series seem, to me, to be the best option out there that balances price with quality and features. They are reasonable (like $100 less than Vectras), are Apex compatible (Vectras are not) and come with all of the adapters and what not out of the box. Also come with an emergency shut off system, if you care to use it.

Last edited by ktownhero; 02/27/2017 at 09:06 AM.
ktownhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2017, 10:20 AM   #20
scooter31707
Registered Member

I love my Simplicity! Just saying.

scooter31707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2017, 01:09 PM   #21
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdogg View Post
Well it's a 'smart' pump .... well worth the premium. Wonder if those of us that bought one will end up being 'smart' buyers

In all seriousness, I bought mine to use in a closed loop where the ability to ramp the pump up and down has real value. As a return pump .... not so much.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2017, 03:38 PM   #22
MG98
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktownhero View Post
so I went back to my Eheim 1262. The Eheim will put out a hum but as long as you use some silicone tubing, it is pretty darn quiet.

The Reef Octopus Varios series seem, to me, to be the best option out there that balances price with quality and features.
These are the 2 models I am gravitating towards. The varios appear to be a little quieter than the eheim and use less power but not a lot of data as far as reliability.

Does anyone know how long the varios models have been on the market?

Unread 02/27/2017, 03:44 PM   #23
Zalick
My reef tanks my wallet

I have the Vectra L1 for my return. Its under the stand in the middle of my living room about 5' from my couch. Its dead silent. I had a sicce 5.0 powering my UV and I could hear it on the couch. I now have an M1 powering the UV/skimmer line.

The Vectra is worth every penny and then some.

I also have the VarioS (with needle wheel) powering my skimmer. Its dead silent as well and would be a great choice I'm sure.

Current Tank Info: Me v Dinos - I'm winning for now...
Zalick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2017, 03:47 PM   #24
f3honda4me
Registered Member

I'm switching to the varios and selling my vectra now that I have an apex and WXM module.

f3honda4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2017, 03:49 PM   #25
Zalick
My reef tanks my wallet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG98 View Post
These are the 2 models I am gravitating towards. The varios appear to be a little quieter than the eheim and use less power but not a lot of data as far as reliability.

Does anyone know how long the varios models have been on the market?
I've been running the VarioS on my skimmer for about 6 months. Not sure how long they've been on the market but my experience over the years with reef octopus has been very good. CoralVue has great customer support as well.

Current Tank Info: Me v Dinos - I'm winning for now...
Zalick is offline   Reply With Quote