Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/26/2009, 07:56 PM   #201
austin93
Don't Panic!

Just for the record the smell went away the next day after the bulb burned in a little. 4200k is too low for corals IMO, it would probably promote more algae than anything else. Don't actually expect an answer from people with any experience, my original question was poised on the 17th and I had to answer it myself. Just start a thread in the lighting forum and you will get more looks than in this sticky. HTH

Current Tank Info: 30 Rimless
austin93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/28/2009, 05:40 PM   #202
CookieJen
Registered Member

Hi Guys! Im trying to upgrade my lighting as most people here appear to be doing too.

I really want to go MH so I can start getting some SPS corals.

I currently have a SunPaq retro fit 95w VHO with a dual 10k and dual actinic bulbs with straight pins. Thats whats going on my 55gal that is approx 18in deep. Im pretty sure this is inadequate but its a system bought from a family member who SWEARS it was some of the best lighting at the time (4+ years ago)

Are there any MH kits that I can use and still keep my hood?? My tank needs to have a hood cause I have cats and I dont want them playing in my reef tank. ($1200 cats playing in a $1000+ reef tank= bad news)

I thought about a getting clamp on.. do they work and could they be used with my VHO's?? Or should I start from scratch?? If I do start from scratch what can you recommend that wouldnt get too hot and burn the place down??

Any suggestions??

CookieJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/29/2009, 07:37 AM   #203
tangtang clown
Registered Member

I started a thread yesterday about some retrofit 250w MHs for a good price and I haven't received any responses from anyone who has used this type. I too am going to add T5s for a canopy(once I build it). PM me if you want the site.

Unread 12/29/2009, 11:14 PM   #204
ballebrian4u
Moved On

hey i bought the corlife aqualight pro with 2 250 watt metal halids and want to run 14 k but it didn t come with ballst what brand should i buy and do the make ones that can support 2 250 watts so i don by 2 diffrent ballest? what brand do you recomend that is cheap and energy efficent and has nice light output !

ballebrian4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2010, 04:26 PM   #205
IRIDEH2O
Registered Member

Trying to choose new bulbs...

I'm looking to buy new bulbs for my 2x150w double ended Halide. I've been running with 20k for the last year but my corals dont seem to grow much except for my mushrooms. I have a 90 gallon tank. Any suggestions on what would improve my coral growth?

IRIDEH2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2010, 03:08 PM   #206
supra23
Moved On

Too Much Light?

I'm in the middle of starting up my second 46g reef and am unsure if the light I have is too strong or not (or if there's even such a thing). Of course, obvious examples like a 400w MH over a 7g Pico ignored.

Light is a 2x250w MH with 2x96w PCs.
Planning to keep SPS, LPS and maybe some select zoos/palys.

I dug a bit online and couldn't come up with anything conclusive or reputable. The wattage ratio threw me off as this would be well over what is widely recommended. ~11w/g halides only and ~15w/g with everything on! If I leave the glass lid on, might dissipate some of the light but lose the shimmer. Also heating issues - Would not want to buy a chiller.

Hopefully some of you can throw in your .02 TIA!

supra23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2010, 08:36 AM   #207
blennymower
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supra23 View Post
Too Much Light?

I'm in the middle of starting up my second 46g reef and am unsure if the light I have is too strong or not (or if there's even such a thing). Of course, obvious examples like a 400w MH over a 7g Pico ignored.

Light is a 2x250w MH with 2x96w PCs.
Planning to keep SPS, LPS and maybe some select zoos/palys.

I dug a bit online and couldn't come up with anything conclusive or reputable. The wattage ratio threw me off as this would be well over what is widely recommended. ~11w/g halides only and ~15w/g with everything on! If I leave the glass lid on, might dissipate some of the light but lose the shimmer. Also heating issues - Would not want to buy a chiller.

Hopefully some of you can throw in your .02 TIA!

Your corals will do fine so long as you properly acclimate them to this amount of light. As far as heat goes, on a 46g tank that amount of light close to the water is going to heat it up. So either install fans or raise the light, or do both.

Current Tank Info: 30G Nano Rimless
blennymower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2010, 07:51 PM   #208
NY-Reefer
Registered Member

Newbie here, tons of questions but i will only ask one. I have a 48 Inch IceCap Reef Illuminations fixture with 2x250w MH and 2x54 t5 which would have worked perfectly with my tank plans but things changed and instead I got a marineland deep 200 gallon with starfire for a steal. 48x36x27. I will be picking it up Wednesday and really need to know how much more light I am gonna need to keep SPS in this tank. Do you think I should add a second fixture like a 2x54 tek or something different. My local guru here in Rochester, mn told me that I wont be able to reach the bottom of the tank with my current outfit well enough so I should supplement with more T5's. Thanks for any feedback.

NY-Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2010, 03:27 PM   #209
shark007
Registered Member

What bulb do you suggest. My tank is a 40gallon breeder sps dominant. I have a 250watt DE Halide reefstar from hamilton.

shark007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2010, 07:05 AM   #210
reefsahoy
I can see thru you!

Location: Milky Way Galaxy 3rd planet from the sun, in a country called USA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY-Reefer View Post
Newbie here, tons of questions but i will only ask one. I have a 48 Inch IceCap Reef Illuminations fixture with 2x250w MH and 2x54 t5 which would have worked perfectly with my tank plans but things changed and instead I got a marineland deep 200 gallon with starfire for a steal. 48x36x27. I will be picking it up Wednesday and really need to know how much more light I am gonna need to keep SPS in this tank. Do you think I should add a second fixture like a 2x54 tek or something different. My local guru here in Rochester, mn told me that I wont be able to reach the bottom of the tank with my current outfit well enough so I should supplement with more T5's. Thanks for any feedback.
personally i think you'll be fine with that amount of light except for maybe coverage from front to back. if your reef is going to be in the MH beam you have more than enough. I used a good quality fixture, Giessemann Infinity 2x150 watt hqi and 4 t5 on my tank {photo below with no photo adjusting or color altering} which is 20" deep. I went to 2x 250 and 2x t5 but when i get my old fixture back i probably will go back to it.

Last edited by reefsahoy; 02/09/2010 at 07:17 AM.
reefsahoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2010, 07:12 AM   #211
reefsahoy
I can see thru you!

Location: Milky Way Galaxy 3rd planet from the sun, in a country called USA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach.Attack6 View Post
Just wanted to know if any of you halide guys have, seen the thread with, picture comparisons between diffent k bulbs and their ballasts and if you have can I have a link
here you go http://chrismorris.ca/250wcolour/

reefsahoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2010, 07:42 AM   #212
orgtizz
Registered Member

I just bought my first set of MHs (2 x 250watt with 4 x 54watt T5) My old lights were all T5 units, which I liked the color of. My issue is, while I like the shimmer, I don't like the yellow look. Is there any way I can get back to a more blue look, without loosing growing power?

orgtizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2010, 10:06 PM   #213
sweetdickyb
Registered Member

MH ballast buzzing.

OK first off I'm new to this forum posting business so if I'm posting in the wrong spot cut me a little slack! I have a question about MH ballasts. I have a 2 x 150 watt HQI lighting system with magnetic M81 ballasts in it. The problem is 90% of the time the buzz like a street light and sometimes make a zapping noise. I worked in the sign and lighting business for a few years and haven't heard anything like it. I was wondering if any of you guys have had the same problem and if so have any ideas or solutions short of replacing the ballast with electronic ones. Maybe a bad capacitor or ignitor??????

sweetdickyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2010, 10:24 PM   #214
Tony Romano
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetdickyb View Post
OK first off I'm new to this forum posting business so if I'm posting in the wrong spot cut me a little slack! I have a question about MH ballasts. I have a 2 x 150 watt HQI lighting system with magnetic M81 ballasts in it. The problem is 90% of the time the buzz like a street light and sometimes make a zapping noise. I worked in the sign and lighting business for a few years and haven't heard anything like it. I was wondering if any of you guys have had the same problem and if so have any ideas or solutions short of replacing the ballast with electronic ones. Maybe a bad capacitor or ignitor??????
cheap diy metal halide ballasts? Check out this thread, if no one answers here.

Electronic ballasts are getting very inexpensive and are soo sweet. Also I have some 175W magnetic i will give you for price of shipping.

Why don't I have any money?

Current Tank Info: 215 & 90 mixed tanks
Tony Romano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2010, 05:18 PM   #215
shannon97
Moved On

is 150 watt enough light for a 29gallon tank

i have a 29gallon tank with 60bls of live rock and 2in of sand would 150watt be enough light for my tank

shannon97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2010, 11:38 PM   #216
Rowe78
Registered Member

Can someone please recommend a good SE metal halide 175w bulb for use with a probe start (M57) ballast?

Rowe78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2010, 09:28 PM   #217
james258
Registered Member

hey there, I am a noob to reefing so like any noob i thought what does it matter if I replace my 2x175w MH bulbs with some new 175w bulbs from the grow store not paying any attention to the physical size difference the old ones were small and round the new ones were massive but the dopey at the grow store the (LFS is quite far away) told me they would be the same and i have been battling red hair algea and coraline will not grow it just starts turning white please let me know if it is my bulbs burning the heck out of things if so what is the difference between a bulb used for growing pot and a reef bulb? I also neglected to get an RODI which i am going to remedy soon because my tank water is on the hard side that is the only parameter which is out by any signifigant amount. thank you for any input you might have.

james258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2010, 12:55 PM   #218
scotto123
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowe78 View Post
Can someone please recommend a good SE metal halide 175w bulb for use with a probe start (M57) ballast?
I'm loving the Reeflux 12K - corals growing like weeds!

scotto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2010, 03:31 PM   #219
queenbeez
Registered Member

going to purchase lighting ..

on marine depot.com i am planning on purchasing the ice cap 250/400 watt hqi all aluminum pendant and the 400 watt ballast-my problem is because of the ballast am i gonna have to go with a 400 watt metal halide bulb or could i start out with 250 watt bulb?the pendant lets you choose between the 2 wattage bulbs.will the ballast work for the 250 watt bulb?i have been looking at lighting for 3 weeks now and i think this is the one,what do you think,is this a good light?

Current Tank Info: fish,and live rock and some hermies
queenbeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2010, 11:09 PM   #220
Anthonius
Registered Member

well i have a 48" long x 18" wide x 20" tall (75g) I was wanting to have a mixed reef which i was wanting to use 2x 150w DE XM bulbs I was thinking the 15000K bulbs and 2x t5 actinics... Will these bulbs have a hard time feeding acans, zoos, palys, favites, and a clam on the bottom? I was thinking they should be fine but I just wanted to be sure.. I am just now convincing myself to goto the MHs... I have been using the t5s for awhile now but want to be sure as this is the most expensive part of the hobby.

Anthonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2010, 04:18 PM   #221
biecacka
Registered Member

question? i currently run 2 250 wt MH over my 220. it is a softy lps tank, my question is could i get away w t5, or a combo of MH and t5 or should i stay w what i have?
corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2010, 11:51 PM   #222
nikesb
Registered Member

does anyone have a pic of the aquadmedic 150w with a radium and 2x24w t5 actinics or blue+

Unread 03/09/2010, 12:00 AM   #223
betoballer1
Registered Member

Will 2x150w mh plus 4x65w pc be ok for a 90 gal?

betoballer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2010, 12:10 PM   #224
bjsmith112083
Registered Member

I have a 60"L x 24"H x 18"D acrylic aquarium. I am debating on what type of lighting I am going to use to go full reef for this tank. Was thinking of going with maybe (3) 250W HQI lamps spaced evenly over the aquarium. Any thoughts on if this will be enough light to reach close to the bottom of the tank? Any suggestions on color for the lamp themselves? 15k, 20k, mix of some different ones?

Current Tank Info: 29Gal BC Reef.
bjsmith112083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2010, 01:02 PM   #225
wesley6610
Water Lover

Sounds like a good wattage of lamps and you should get decent penetration at 24" deep with 250 HQIs....what kind of reflectors are you thinking about getting? Any idea if you want T5 or VHO actinic supplementation?

wesley6610 is offline   Reply With Quote