Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/03/2016, 05:01 PM   #26
Galaxyreef
Registered Member

Sounds maybe like Dino's/nutrient problem.

Galaxyreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2016, 03:58 PM   #27
nath514
Registered Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I got my sump plumbed up today which I am hoping will help. It makes it much easier to change out the filter floss and to do more frequent water changes. I am hoping that the next few weeks will show improvements. Here is the sump if anyone wants to take a look

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...2561356http://

nath514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2016, 09:45 AM   #28
nath514
Registered Member

My algae problem is much less now that I have the sump, I also built a protein skimmer last weekend and am hoping that will help as well.

nath514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2016, 11:31 AM   #29
reef master 25
Registered Member

brown algae

Hello I'm still new to the hobby but I'm having a very bad time with either cyano bacteria or diatoms I'm not sure which it is. My tank has been running for about 8 months now so I don't think it's diatoms but my p.h keeps bottoming out but my nitrites nitrates ammonia alk. Is all fine my alk is at 8 all other levels are at 0. My p.h at the moment is just under 8 and that's where it stays most of the time. But just recently it would not even read on the test it was so low but yet everything else was ok. I have a 75 gal. With a hob reef Octo 100ss skimmer and a hob filter which I'm fixing to get rid of and get a Br gfo/ carbon reactor but I can't get rid of this bacteria/algae please help I'm going crazy.not letting me post pictures

Last edited by reef master 25; 03/17/2016 at 11:45 AM. Reason: pictures
reef master 25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2016, 12:01 PM   #30
Ryan1190
Registered Member

I have a very similar problem as this - Can't figure it out. I run carbon and GFO. If I let it go a week the glass is totally covered.

Ryan1190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2017, 12:42 PM   #31
Ejb
Registered Member

I know this is an older thread but I am curious if the problem went away. I am starting to have this same issue in my tank and it is almost 5 months old. I have been running carbon and gfo for a while now and it doesn't seem to stop the problem. My test results are exactly the same as nath514. If it was dinos wouldnt it grow on the sand and rocks? Also I have heard that nothing will eat dinos but snails have been eating this but cant rid it completely. I do weekly 30% water changes since the tank cycled. So I am curious if this problem just went away after a while. My problem started when I changed my light to the kessil a360.

Last edited by Ejb; 08/24/2017 at 12:52 PM.
Ejb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2017, 12:45 PM   #32
Ejb
Registered Member

Also since there is not much algae in the tank only on the glass could it really make the readings as low as they are? My corals are happy for the most part, I do think I should stop running the gfo since I believe it is starting to bleach one of my stylos.

Ejb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brown algae, nano, slimy algae