Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/17/2019, 02:20 PM   #1
dhjunkie
Registered Member

Filter Media Combo Feedback, please.

I'm looking for reassurance that this part of my setup is generally "correct". Current inhabitants are a pair of clowns and an emerald crab in a skimmerless 20 gal. I run in an aq70 (from bottom to top) Polyfill (pillow stuffing), purigen, activated carbon, lastly, a bag of bio media to keep the other media in place. The polyfill gets changed weekly, carbon changed approx monthly and purigen gets recharged as needed. What do y'all think? Am I missing anything, any overkill?

dhjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2019, 03:01 PM   #2
FishAndPhysics
Registered Member

I'd skip the bio media. You'll need a Nitrate export method, be that water changes, chaeto, or an algae scrubbers. Protein skimmers can reduce the load, but not remove it completely.