Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Neptune Systems
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/26/2012, 12:42 PM   #26
spoofer
Registered Member

Ironically I got a call a few minutes ago from Neptune - very nice and apologetic on the phone and I did drop $175 to fix, but I don't know if i'll be recommending this controller in the future. I thought about getting a DA unit but I thought it was worth giving my APEX another go and I was assured that i have a new unit and they would love to help in any way if anything were to come up again. I was also offered the option to purchase a back up unit if I ever did need to have my unit serviced again.

I don't know about you but I don't like the idea of buying two of one product just 'because it might' give you problems in the future.

Current Tank Info: 120g Tech Tank, Vortech MP40, Apex, ATI 8x54, Vertex IN-180, Mag 9.5, Phos & Carb Reactors, Kalk Drip via reefdosingpumps.com sentry model, 40 gallon Breeder DYI Sump
spoofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2012, 01:42 PM   #27
RussM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyton View Post
the problem is for every one happy customer, they tend to have one upset customer.
Do you really think that the handful of people posting in this thread is a valid statistical sample?

You obviously failed to consider that what is seen here is but a very small sector of overall ownership, and neglected to factor in the many many people who happily run their controllers without issue.

I have had timely and excellent response to the two actual issues I've had in owning Neptune controllers for the last 6 years. They have been quite responsive and receptive to ideas for new features. And they have even answered my questions about inner workings of the Apex, sharing what they might have classified as proprietary information - but chose to be supportive instead.

RussM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2012, 06:30 PM   #28
drparker
Registered Member

Just to clear something up. No piece of consumer grade electronics is properly protected from spikes, surges and these typically follow a brown-out. These can and will cause damage. use good quality, not $6 extension cord, surge suppression.

In the last three days I've had 2 brown-outs, one for 3 seconds the other for 7. I did not notice them but the Apex and power conditioner on my home theater both saw them. The power conditioner also recorded spikes after each brown-out.

drparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2012, 08:31 PM   #29
ccradr
Registered Member

It's interesting that some would get on this thread to criticize the "few" of us that are having issues. If this offends you, please share your great stories but not criticize those who have had struggles with Neptune.

The weird thing is that when I originally posted this Neptune read the thread and emailed me about the post. I thought it strange that they would read the post and email me about it promptly, but I couldn't get them to return a phone call for 3 days...well I actually called until they answered on the third day. I am not prepared to write them off completely but as another poster stated, at least apologize for the "gaps" in service that some of us are experiencing. We trust our systems($$$$$$$$$'s) with their controllers and we just want help when we need it. I don't feel that is too much to ask. Just my .02

ccradr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2012, 10:01 PM   #30
wwanthony
Premium Member

I have owned all the Neptune Controllers starting with the original version. I love the devices and the company and would never think about changing unless I moved on to something on the super high end of the spectrum some day.

But......

Things have changed. Customer care at Neptune is not like it used to be.............

No need for the diehards (that we all know and love) that support this forum to try to paint the picture any different. Things have changed.

There was a time when the folks at Neptune participated in this forum. Software releases are posted here and on the company website with terse descriptions of what they contain. I work in IT (deployment and development). Just because a release is in beta does not mean it is not worthy of some level of documentation. We are an enthusiastic bunch here, but THE DEVIL IS IN THE DETAILS.

If you want to know what a sponsored forum should be like....check out the Tunze forum. Really good stuff.

I think at a minimum, someone in the company should be here to answer product purchase related questions from the Newbies. I also think it would be nice to see a better explanation (here) of the product (software and hardware) roadmap. I understand that it may be difficult to monitor this forum for support issues -- though the folks at Tunze some how make folks feel a little better.

I guess Neptune is doing too well now.........I don't know.

wwanthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2012, 11:28 AM   #31
Jocko
Registered Member

I had my original Apex go a while ago due to a power outtage. I emailed Neptune and got a prompt reply. I had some random timers and things hanging around for backup purposes, so I opted to just send in the the head unit and wait for them to send the repaired unit back. Well I'm on the east coast and they are on the west coast and I had my unit back in working condition within a week. So I was satisfied with that.

I don't want you guys to think I'm trying to make excuses for bad service here, but I think you need to make sure you are coming into this with proper expectations. You need to understand what it is that Neptune does for us and recognize there are certain realities. These guys have to invest a lot of time and money into creating a product like this. And ultimately this is a pretty low volume product. So you can imagine how hard it is to make a profit on a low volume product that has a large engineering and development investment to create. Could they provide 24/7 phone support and advance shipment repairs? Sure. They could provide a Rolls Royce type experience. But they'd have to charge a Rolls Royce price. I'm sure some of the more expensive controllers out there might have better service, but that is precisely because they are more expensive. Neptune is serving a particular market. It's because of what they do that we can get a good controller at a good price. But we have to work with them and try to appreciate the fact that they offer us this product and this price. And if you compare them to that other major company in this market/price range, you'll see they definitely have the superior service.

Jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2012, 03:52 PM   #32
pyton
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussM View Post
Do you really think that the handful of people posting in this thread is a valid statistical sample?

You obviously failed to consider that what is seen here is but a very small sector of overall ownership, and neglected to factor in the many many people who happily run their controllers without issue.

I have had timely and excellent response to the two actual issues I've had in owning Neptune controllers for the last 6 years. They have been quite responsive and receptive to ideas for new features. And they have even answered my questions about inner workings of the Apex, sharing what they might have classified as proprietary information - but chose to be supportive instead.
Maybe I have but if you had been through what I have with this company you would have the sour taste in your mouth too. I am just here to try and get real support from successful users. Not too many these days based on these forums, but I am trying to make the best out of a bad issue.

BTW this will be my 5th Apex in less than a year, every time I have an issue I am told I need a new head unit because this that or another thing.

pyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2012, 06:11 PM   #33
hostage46
Registered Member

Outstanding support report

I for one am very pleased with my support from Apex, Paul is the MAN and very helpful

24" Cube,GFO, Carbon, 25 Gal Sump, Apex Controlled, Sol Blue, Avast Marine ATO, Reef Octopus skimmer, marine color dosing pump

Current Tank Info: 24" Cube,GFO, Carbon, 25 Gal Sump, Apex Controlled, Sol Blue, Avast Marine ATO
hostage46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2012, 06:29 PM   #34
ccradr
Registered Member

@wwanthony
I agree. The Tunze forums awesome because Roger is constantly on answering questions and giving great support when needed. As I stated earlier, they emailed me as soon as I opened this thread so they are reading these forums. Why they close not to participate I am not sure.

@Jocko
Not looking for RollsRoyce service....even Hyundai's have better service.

Unread 04/27/2012, 10:34 PM   #35
Want2BS8ed
Registered Member

Quote:
Maybe I have but if you had been through what I have with this company you would have the sour taste in your mouth too. I am just here to try and get real support from successful users. Not too many these days based on these forums, but I am trying to make the best out of a bad issue.

BTW this will be my 5th Apex in less than a year, every time I have an issue I am told I need a new head unit because this that or another thing.
Dude, I didn't think anyone could have worse luck than me... 5 in less than a year? I would give up.

I'll trade you last year's Avast Mutiny Ozone reactor for it.

Oh, wait. Sorry wrong thread. That was the other small manufacturer you have been ripping on for allegedly "bad" service.

Look, I respect that you may not have enjoyed the same positive experiences that I and others have had, however I am troubled by the seeming lack of respect you have shown our hosts and the other members of this community.

I for one, appreciate this particular group and the support they have provided. It's a tremendous resource I would hate to see go away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Just get me to the airport put me on a plane" - The Ramones
Want2BS8ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2012, 04:27 AM   #36
pyton
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2BS8ed View Post
Dude, I didn't think anyone could have worse luck than me... 5 in less than a year? I would give up.

I'll trade you last year's Avast Mutiny Ozone reactor for it.

Oh, wait. Sorry wrong thread. That was the other small manufacturer you have been ripping on for allegedly "bad" service.

I for one, appreciate this particular group and the support they have provided. It's a tremendous resource I would hate to see go away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That other manufacture worked with me and together the issue was solved in a matter of a few phone calls. They took care of the issues right away and I gave them huge praise for it.

Too bad I cannot use the new products I bought because this Apex is screwing up again.

Unread 04/28/2012, 07:28 AM   #37
RussM
Registered Member

Quote:
In all seriousness - are there any environmental factors that could be contributing here? Heat, humidity, unstable power, etc?

RussM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2012, 08:11 AM   #38
ccradr
Registered Member

I don't believe he was ripping anyone one this forum---Neptune isn't present here.

Unread 04/28/2012, 08:23 AM   #39
drparker
Registered Member

I'm techie and a ham radio operator. In all seriousness, yes. Power, EMI, RFI, chatty nic on the network could all be causing problems. Without a network sniffer and a spectrum analyzer the only hope of finding the problem is trial and error.

One customer had a problem that took weeks to find. Turns out that when elevator 3 was stopped on floor 7 a ton of noise and power spike where be injected on to the network.

If any of the people having issues are using network over house electric lines that would be the first thing I would kill to see if it was the issue.

Look for patterns even if they seem weird. Does it always happen when neighbor uses the garage door? Does it happen when a combination of things are on, the microwave is on while the daughter blow dries her hair.

Loose grounds, bad grounds, no grounds, ground loops can all cause problems.

drparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2012, 11:36 AM   #40
pyton
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussM View Post
In all seriousness - are there any environmental factors that could be contributing here? Heat, humidity, unstable power, etc?
House stays at 68 during winter and 75 during summer.
I do not have a humidity issue at all in my home.
I have the Apex plugged into a UPS, after all it is a important computer in my home.

RussM I know you really like Apex and there is no real reason to keep this going here in their forum. Lets just say if I had to do it all over again I would not go down this route.

Unread 04/28/2012, 11:43 AM   #41
pyton
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccradr View Post
I don't believe he was ripping anyone one this forum---Neptune isn't present here.
No I wasn't, I was stating my on personal opinion based on the type of service I have received while being a customer of Neptune Systems and the various issues I have read about from their other customers by doing a Google search. If I offended / disrespected anyone directly, I am sorry it was never my intention.

Unread 04/28/2012, 12:28 PM   #42
hostage46
Registered Member

Quote:
They are absolutely monitoring this forum

24" Cube,GFO, Carbon, 25 Gal Sump, Apex Controlled, Sol Blue, Avast Marine ATO, Reef Octopus skimmer, marine color dosing pump

Current Tank Info: 24" Cube,GFO, Carbon, 25 Gal Sump, Apex Controlled, Sol Blue, Avast Marine ATO
hostage46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2012, 02:43 PM   #43
ccradr
Registered Member

Oh...I know...just making a point. Why monitor and not speak? Especially when we are asking you to?

Unread 04/30/2012, 07:12 AM   #44
Jocko
Registered Member

Quote:
@Jocko
Not looking for RollsRoyce service....even Hyundai's have better service.
Hyundai is in a mass market. They can spread the costs of developing a product and maintaining support staff across hundreds of thousands of units. That was my entire point. Like a Rolls, aquarium controllers are not volume products yet take a large investment to create a new model. If we want people answering the phones 24/7, then we're asking Neptune to charge a lot more for their products.

Jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/30/2012, 07:15 PM   #45
ccradr
Registered Member

Got new base unit today and problem fixed. Better response today from Neptune. I called and left a message and got a call back with an hour

Unread 05/01/2012, 05:52 AM   #46
bepece
Registered Member

I have had recent experience (last week) with Aoex and have to say it was great, aside from an almost constant busy phone line. They were extremely helpful, answered emails over the weekend, and had my unit fixed and ready to ship out the day they got it. Every time I have had them on the phone, they have taken their time with me to make sure all questions were addressed.

bepece is offline   Reply With Quote