Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Photography
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/14/2012, 01:45 AM   #1
Stand_Alone
Registered Member

Canon 7D vs 5D Mii

I'm in the market for a dslr upgrade (from t2i).

Lens aside which would you guys prefer? Mostly shooting photos of my tank and when my wife and I go traveling.

Stand_Alone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2012, 05:20 AM   #2
REGGAEX
Registered Member

I have had both the 7d is your best bet if you do not need full frame get the 7d I upgraded from 7d to 5d mII and can't say that it was that big of a diff really liked the 7d better.Plus you save alot of money to buy a lense with.

REGGAEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2012, 09:31 AM   #3
brianbigoats
Registered Member

I have both the 7D will be similar to the t2i and can use EFS lenes there will be a learning curve with the 5dm2 as it will change the depth of field you are familiar with as well as your framing

brianbigoats is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2012, 02:24 PM   #4
BlueCorn
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by REGGAEX View Post
I have had both the 7d is your best bet if you do not need full frame get the 7d I upgraded from 7d to 5d mII and can't say that it was that big of a diff really liked the 7d better.Plus you save alot of money to buy a lense with.
I can't agree with that. I used to shoot with both the original 5D (not even the MII) and the 7D. While I like much of what the 7D was about, I ended up selling it because of image quality. There was a noticeable difference between the two. The MII is even cleaner still.

They're different cameras for different purposes. If frames per second or focus performance is a concern (think sports or bird photography) they 7D makes sense. Otherwise, the 5D will produce better images.

[I]Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made when establishing tonal relationships. ~ Ansel Adams[/I]
BlueCorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2012, 04:42 PM   #5
Recty
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stand_Alone View Post
I'm in the market for a dslr upgrade (from t2i).

Lens aside which would you guys prefer? Mostly shooting photos of my tank and when my wife and I go traveling.
Both for tank photography and travel photography, the 5DmkII will exceed the 7D in any way I can think of (as far as the common things you do with each subject). I've used both, I've owned two different 7Ds and never really been happy with what I could do with it when compared to the 5DmkII.

Of course, that's considering budget isnt a concern. I normally advocate buy a decent body and great lenses, but in the case of going to full frame, I'm pretty torn as to whether I'd want a great body and decent lenses... I know my 5DmkII with my little f/1.4 50mm takes professional quality portraits and that's a silly litlte $300 lens. If you dont want to spend more than a grand and a half, go with the 7D but I think long term you'll be MUCH happier with the 5D, I know I am.

Recty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2012, 03:43 PM   #6
IslandCrow
Reef Monkey

I agree with BlueCorn and Recty. For sports and any other type of action photography, I'd want the 7D (though the 5DMII isn't terrible at sports photography). As far as overall picture quality as well as high ISO performance, the 5DMII is significantly better in my opinion. I think you'll be happy with either one, but for the purposes you've described, the 5D would be my first choice.

-Mike C.

Current Tank Info: I have a reef screen saver on my phone, does that count?
IslandCrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2012, 12:01 PM   #7
Stand_Alone
Registered Member

Thanks for the feedback guys. I got the green light to go with the 5d3!

Would love to hear some experiences with those that are using this camera.

Stand_Alone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2012, 07:33 PM   #8
Recty
Registered Member

Nice. Depending on your money situation, you might be better off getting a mkII and putting the extra $1000 towards a nice lens So far, there is nothing the mkIII does that makes me want to get rid of my mkII for it.

Recty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/30/2012, 10:25 AM   #9
IslandCrow
Reef Monkey

One thing I like about the MIII (or at least what I've read on it), which may or may not be particularly useful to the OP, is it sounds like the autofocus system is much more comparable to the 1D models. How well it actually works, I don't know, but for anyone who likes to do some sports or other action photography on the side, I could see the 5DMIII as a pretty good jack of all trades.

But as you said, Recty, to save some money, with the MIII out, now is probably a good time to get a deal on a MII (I absolutely love my 5DMII). Of course, if money isn't an obstacle. . .

-Mike C.

Current Tank Info: I have a reef screen saver on my phone, does that count?
IslandCrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2012, 12:12 AM   #10
IPT
Registered Member

If you have the cash get the better focusing. Having used the 1D models, an original 5D and the 7D the only thing I can say I didn't like about the 5D (in retrospect having used the other models now) was the low FPS and focusing. You'll love the 5D in any version . Sweet camera.

IPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/07/2012, 05:09 PM   #11
newbie2hobby
Registered Member

FYI staples has a sale on canon rebels this week!

newbie2hobby is offline   Reply With Quote