Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/08/2006, 06:19 PM   #1
PL-Reef
Awesome Member

my 5gal mushroom garden (lots of pics)

I figured I would post some photos of my 5gal mushroom garden. Any comments are welcomed, I'm newer at photography though so sorry if they're not that great. Hope you like the tank.
Here's the full tank Ignore the plastic cup I'm tring to get them to attach.

one of my three...

mama and baby

Current Tank Info: 2 gallon goldfish bowl with a happy 7" Naso tang and 2 small Beluga whales. Just added a baby dolphin, large Trigger, a herd of Sea Horses and just fragged my first Manatee. All fish safely hand caught using organic cyanide.
PL-Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2006, 06:22 PM   #2
PL-Reef
Awesome Member

More...

my clown gobey, had two but one went missing.

last but not least, a close up...

Current Tank Info: 2 gallon goldfish bowl with a happy 7" Naso tang and 2 small Beluga whales. Just added a baby dolphin, large Trigger, a herd of Sea Horses and just fragged my first Manatee. All fish safely hand caught using organic cyanide.
Unread 05/08/2006, 07:14 PM   #3
chocolateblnt
Registered Member

Hey Jas ty Polaku ... I think one of those "mushrooms" is aiptasia ... it's a sort of pest anemone; correct me if I am wrong. Aiptasia can actually eat one of those gumdrop gobies ... the gumdrops are stupid enough to think it's coral they will sit on it and the aiptasia's fingers will sting and close on it.

chocolateblnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2006, 07:31 PM   #4
PL-Reef
Awesome Member

czesc! jak sie masz. i knew that it was an anemone. but i didnt know it could eat my goby. i'll pull them out tonight. thanks.

Unread 05/08/2006, 08:09 PM   #5
Jordan55
Premium Member

DON'T PULL IT OUT!!!!

Those are tulip anemone's. I had some in my 12 gallon, got some from a friend. They do not grow over a nickle and are very pretty, not to mention harmless.

Now aptasia..... thats a different story. I witnessed a aptasia eat my clown goby a year ago.

Current Tank Info: None
Jordan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2006, 08:23 PM   #6
chocolateblnt
Registered Member

Wszystko w pozadku Jas ... wlasnie przygotowalem xenia na sprzedaz Zrob research na tym anenome bo ten gosciu moze nie miec racji ... ja mysle ze i tak bedzie problem jak sie poroznosi.

Jordan whatever anemone it is, aren't they still a pest since they split about once a month under correct conditions? I still think it's a close call between tulip and majano ... It explains the goby missing as well!?

I say inject them with Joe's ... you can get a small syringe from your vet and they will dispose of the syringe for you as well; my local vet did so with no charge ... I just had to open a file with them.

Unread 05/08/2006, 08:52 PM   #7
gfk
Registered Member

dont pull it, it will spread.

get joes juice and feed it that. ive killed 3 instantly using joes juice, way easier

gfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2006, 04:46 AM   #8
Jordan55
Premium Member

They do spread, but not like aptasia or majanos. I had like 3 in my 12 gallon for probably 3-4 months. In that time they produced up to about 10 or so. They key is not feeding them. If you feed them, they reproduce a lot faster.

I have never had these guys hurt any of my fish or wander around much stinging corals.

There is a guy on here that sells 3 of them for like 16$ (that includes shipping). He has kept them for a long time and many people buy.

The choice is yours.... but IMO/E they are great little anemones, don't reproduce much, and are very pretty.

Current Tank Info: None
Jordan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2006, 06:27 AM   #9
PL-Reef
Awesome Member

Yeah, we like them and heard that they can bother SPS's so that's why they are in the nano. I was told they are in the same family of aptasia, and it would make sense with the missing fish, I mean how far could it really go? We won't kill them, we know people that would want them, or we'll through them in the refuge on my other tank and let them do their thing.

Unread 05/09/2006, 06:36 AM   #10
PL-Reef
Awesome Member

chocolateblnt...
this is Jas' girlfriend so the polish is way over my head, I'm sure he'll have something to say when he gets home, he always loves to see more Polish people in the world it adds to his theory that you guys are taking over... : )

Unread 05/09/2006, 04:55 PM   #11
mmd
Registered Member

oh, this is a polish thread.
my turn "keilbasa"

Current Tank Info: 120 freshwater
mmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2006, 05:00 PM   #12
PL-Reef
Awesome Member

lol mike

Unread 05/09/2006, 06:40 PM   #13
hgbarwick
Registered Member

cool tank

hgbarwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2006, 07:09 PM   #14
chocolateblnt
Registered Member

Right on Jas' girlfriend! ... hahahaha I love your boyfriends theory ... As a matter of fact last month's reef of the month is also owned by a Polak (Gary Majchrzak) so I guess there's more of us out there than people think ... I'm sure you've learned a ton of Polish in any case

I'd really like to see more of your tank's besides what's in your gallery ... it looks like you guys are aquaculturing a lot of baby frags!

Unread 05/10/2006, 04:34 AM   #15
mmd
Registered Member

jas
i have a few shrooms for you

Current Tank Info: 120 freshwater
mmd is offline   Reply With Quote