Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/03/2012, 12:58 PM   #51
Agioniko
Registered Member

Is the tank transfer method transferring water from your DT to your QT?

Agioniko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2012, 06:05 PM   #52
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agioniko View Post
Is the tank transfer method transferring water from your DT to your QT?
No. There is no water transfer from bag to first tank or to any subsequent transfer. I suggest using acclimation boxes or tupperware in lieu of nets.

Unread 04/13/2012, 08:49 AM   #53
NEK-ap24
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0bab0ey View Post
That's exactly what I do - IO for my fish QT, Oceanic for my reef DT. No issues.
This was suggested to save money on salt mix costs, but what I do is:

I have been using my DT water for my QT water as that is what I am trying to get the fish to in the long run anyhow. (I drain my QT down (water thrown out) drain the DT into the QT (without contaminating the DT) and add new saltwater mix to the DT.) This way I get a water change out of the mix, and am acclimating the fish to the conditions of the DT.
I looked at this as a way of re-using the water to save money, but I do it more frequently, since I am not adding pristine water.

Does this strike anyone as problematic?

NEK-ap24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/15/2012, 09:52 PM   #54
Sisterlimonpot
R.C. Fraternity President

I do the same exact thing when I have my qt running.

Dishes are done man!

Current Tank Info: 300 in progress
Sisterlimonpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2012, 02:50 PM   #55
greenskull
Registered Member

Okay, this may sound stupid, but I've been wondering this:
If you have a QT tank set up ahead of time seeded with water from display tank, how long will the beneficial bacteria stay alive without any fish in it?

greenskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2012, 10:14 AM   #56
redsea2012
Registered Member

Question all my 6 fish got the ich? I need help

2 weeks ago I intreduced all my 7 fish the I bought from online store to my DT. I have 2 yellow tang on brown powder, one small Naso Tang,one small gold rim and a clown. 2 days ago I start noticing the white spots and my rim became very skinny, from all reading around and seeing all pictures I am 100% sure I have an ICH outbreak in the tank. I have snails,shrimps and some corals (DSB and LR as well). so I decided to take the fish out put them in 55G QU tank and treat them with copper Medications and other anti parasitic medications. I will be setting up the tank in the garage with power head heater,HOB tetra ex40 filter (I know it's small but that's what I have on hand). and ammonia indicator, I will move some of the water in the display to the QU tank and I will put the filter from my Trigger system sump .this way I dont have to wait for a cycle and I can start the treatment ASAP.

I have few questions: what is the best copper based medication to use?
what is the best (Antiparasitic medication to add?
what is the best Copper test kit.
what I should do with the DT ? should I treat it with anything.
what and how often I should feed the fish during the treatment?
how long I should treat the fish and how long I keep the fish int the QU tank after the end of the treatment?

redsea2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2012, 11:44 AM   #57
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsea2012 View Post
2 weeks ago I intreduced all my 7 fish the I bought from online store to my DT. I have 2 yellow tang on brown powder, one small Naso Tang,one small gold rim and a clown. 2 days ago I start noticing the white spots and my rim became very skinny, from all reading around and seeing all pictures I am 100% sure I have an ICH outbreak in the tank. I have snails,shrimps and some corals (DSB and LR as well). so I decided to take the fish out put them in 55G QU tank and treat them with copper Medications and other anti parasitic medications. I will be setting up the tank in the garage with power head heater,HOB tetra ex40 filter (I know it's small but that's what I have on hand). and ammonia indicator, I will move some of the water in the display to the QU tank and I will put the filter from my Trigger system sump .this way I dont have to wait for a cycle and I can start the treatment ASAP.

I have few questions: what is the best copper based medication to use?
what is the best (Antiparasitic medication to add?
what is the best Copper test kit.
what I should do with the DT ? should I treat it with anything.
what and how often I should feed the fish during the treatment?
how long I should treat the fish and how long I keep the fish int the QU tank after the end of the treatment?
Well, first, SLOW DOWN. Multiple tangs in a 105 gallon tank is not going to work out especially since some of them will reach a foot in length. Read the ich stickies, then check back in the fish diseases forum. And develop and learn to use a quarantine protocol. (see my blog for best practice).

Unread 04/28/2012, 10:10 AM   #58
Breadman03
New Old School

I just set up a 20 gallon QT for an order of about 100 nassarius vibex snails, a free turbo pack (10?) and the Caribbean refugium algae pack that contains halimeda, caulerpa, shaving brush, mangrove, and 1000 pods from Reefs2Go.com.

The QT is barebottom and I'm planning on about 76 degrees with a SG of 1.023.

The stickies suggest 2 weeks for sufficient observation. I am seeking advice on what I should put into the QT to ensure survival of all specimens.

The Nassarius are carnivores, so I plan on dropping in some pellets, but the turbos won't have much if any algae to graze on. Would nori sheets be beneficial for the turbos, or should I do something different?

Any other suggestions are welcomed.

Thank you,
Greg

Breadman03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/05/2012, 02:05 PM   #59
cba191
Registered Member

I haven't found the answer to this question, but do you QT the first fish you put in a tank?

cba191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/05/2012, 02:29 PM   #60
Sisterlimonpot
R.C. Fraternity President

sure they will graze on nori

Dishes are done man!

Current Tank Info: 300 in progress
Sisterlimonpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/07/2012, 03:51 PM   #61
Delprincipe
Registered Member

QT set up

Have read through this thread and am now convinced that a QT is a must. We are new and have had our TBS tank up for almost 2 months now. We are looking at fish and wanted to start with the basics, chromis. Figured if they needed to be in QT for 6-8 weeks then our DT would be mature enough to handle them by the time they were finished.

We have a 10gal tank set aside for QT purposes. We have a small Hydor heater (if needed) and a HOB power filter rated for up to 20 gallons. Will this filter also act as circulation ordo we still need to get a small circulation pump. Also, should we be putting the filter cartridge in our DT HOB skimmer?

Current Tank Info: 40 gallon breeder tank, HOB Reef Octopus BH100, Aquatic Life T5, 2 Koralia 2800 power heads
Delprincipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/07/2012, 04:30 PM   #62
Delprincipe
Registered Member

ALSO... is there an advantage for PVC pipe over a chunk of Live rock, or vice versa? Can any of these diseases attach and florish in QT live rock? And finally, someone mentioned earlier about blacking out the back of the tank, what is the purpose for doing that?

Current Tank Info: 40 gallon breeder tank, HOB Reef Octopus BH100, Aquatic Life T5, 2 Koralia 2800 power heads
Delprincipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2012, 10:27 PM   #63
mbd521
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob D
Quote:

Originally Posted by RBU1

My only thoughts.....2 weeks in my opinion is not long enough. I would want to QT a fish for at least 8 weeks especially if you are not treating with anything.

I would, and do, agree. Roughly quoting from RegalAngel's post..

Quote:

Originally Posted by RegalAngel

If I purchase a fish(es) from a quality operator where the fish are observed and expected to be disease free then I will QT for about two weeks for observation to confirm what I expect...a disease free fish. But during this time if I observe something unusual in a fishes behavior or physical issue then it is aggressive QT for 4-6 weeks. It will be aggressive QT for fishes from other suppliers where the same observation and quality control does not take place, so it is up to me to be more than sure.

Two weeks is a minimum for observation. There's nothing wrong with longer observation IMO. Of course if other treatment is required then it might take 6-8 weeks total, or even longer, until the fish is ready to be placed into the display.

My protocol is usually a week to ensure they're eating well, then a week or two of Prazi Pro regardless of evidence of parasites or not. If all is well after 2-3 weeks I transfer to the display.

Posted from ReefCentral.com App for Android

mbd521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2012, 04:45 PM   #64
wooden_reefer
Registered Member

"Q: What filtration do I need for my QT?
A: The more the better. A skimmer is beneficial and in some cases can be run with medication in the water. A HOB filter adds more surface for bacteria to colonize as well as a place to run filter pads and carbon. A ball of chaetomorpha is a good idea provided there is light available. There's no substitute for live rock but keep in mind that copper as well as other medications will contaminate the rock permanently (never use it with inverts). Bottom line; use water changes to maintain water quality regardless of the filtration methods in place."

I have to completely disagree that live rock is good for a QT.

Sometimes for very finicky feeders, acclimation must precede actual QT. LR is good for acclimation.

For actual QT, LR is a very bad filtration medium. It is too unwieldy. Better is sacks of crushed coral or even fluffy polyester .

wooden_reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2012, 04:46 PM   #65
wooden_reefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenskull View Post
Okay, this may sound stupid, but I've been wondering this:
If you have a QT tank set up ahead of time seeded with water from display tank, how long will the beneficial bacteria stay alive without any fish in it?
At least three weeks, possibly longer.

wooden_reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2012, 09:53 AM   #66
MrTuskfish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooden_reefer View Post
At least three weeks, possibly longer.
WHAT???? He was talking about water!
Water from the DT is not cycled and contains very little aerobic bacteria. Water does not cycle a tank, bacteria cultures on filter media do. There is no such thing as cycled water.

Steve

Current Tank Info: 180, 2-240 FOWLRs, 240 reef
MrTuskfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2013, 09:07 AM   #67
Joon16
Registered Member

I have read plenty and finished my treatment/fallow for ICH. There is still 1 part I am confused on though and hopefully you guys can clear it up for me. So all my fish went through Cupramine treatment and are back in the tank after 10 weeks. They all look amazing and happy. Yesterday, I bought a Diamond Watchman Goby and put him in QT. Now here's the part im confused on... When my Blue Tang got ICH, I had to go through the treatment/fallow period will ALL my fish, even though only the Blue Tang showed signs. Now that my Diamond Goby is in QT, couldnt he still have brought the ICH parasite even though he isn't showing signs? Even if he is fine after 4 weeks of QT, couldnt the parasite still be living on him and get trasfered into the DT although he isn't showing signs of ICH? I don't understand why you have to treat all fish in DT if one gets ICH, but you dont have to treat new fish? All these fish came from the same LFS so the parasite must be in their water. So shouldn't I treat the Goby anyway?

Joon16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2013, 09:30 AM   #68
mos90
Registered Member

joon...

at 4 weeks an infected fish should show signs.

if 1 fish in your dt has most likely all the fish have it. that is why u must treat all the fish and maintain a fallow dt for 8-10 weeks.

you can treat the goby if you want to. usually it cant hurt. that is why snorvich recommends the tank transfer method before your fish go into quarantine. the tank transfer method really does work well and is 100% safe for all fish. unlike copper.

mos90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2013, 03:32 PM   #69
chirojosh
Registered Member

I disagree. I had a fish in QT for 8 wks, was healthy/active/eating. NO signs of ich at all. He was the 1st fish placed in a newly cycled tank, 4-6 wks later he's covered in ich. All this talk about passive QT, watch and observe, no matter for how long, is a false sense of security! Any fish or invert coming into my tank is assumed to have or be carrying ich, and is treated in QT for it. If your QT is watch and observe, mark my words ich will strike at some point!

chirojosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2013, 07:15 AM   #70
mos90
Registered Member

i woudnt think your would need more then 4 weeks, but if you say it happened to you after that period, then i guess i cant argue with that.

personally i dont like to treat unless i feel its necessary. i have 5 fish in quarantine right now. thursday will be 4 weeks. i do not plan to treat copper unless ich appears, so far it has not. im even debating prazi. i may not treat at all.

mos90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2013, 07:57 AM   #71
chirojosh
Registered Member

Think about it though. We know that fish have been in tanks for years and all of a sudden have an outbreak, becuase they were carrying it subclinically. When a single fish in a tank is covered in parasites, and the rest aren't, we know the others are carrying it, but show no sx's. Myself, and others, believe a QT is actually less stressful than most displays, typically less organics, no other fish to compete with, lack of territorial disputes etc. A fish could be in that environment for months, even years and carry it subclinically. This is part of the myth that people say that all tanks have ich you just have to manage it. That's not true, you can have an ich free tank, but it has to be eradicated before going into the DT, whether you see it or not, whether the fish show signs or not, its the only way.

chirojosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2013, 12:59 PM   #72
Joon16
Registered Member

I think I will play it safe and treat anyway. The reason I was asking is that I have a Sailfin tang (1.5 inches) in QT now and he is very shy/not eating much for the past week. I didn't want to start treatment when he is acting like this. Since it seems possible that even without signs he can still bring it in, I will just wait until he become more comfortable in the tank and eating more regularly then I will treat with cupramine/prazi.

Joon16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2013, 01:17 PM   #73
igot2gats
Deeeetroit Basketball!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob D View Post
Q: How far in advance should I have the QT cycled an ready?
A: The more established the QT the better. A squeaky clean QT is not necessarliy the best environment, even if cycled, even if jump started with water from the display tank. A slightly "dirty" QT is my preference. A little algae growth is a good indicator that the tank is "ready". If the QT has to be set up on short notice to treat a sick fish, use water from an established display tank.

If you're setting up your DT for the first time, any tips on how to "dirty" your QT?

Stop being lazy, and use the search function. Seriously.

Current Tank Info: 75g DT / 20g sump / 20g QT - Eheim 1250, Tunze Osmolator 3155, GHL Profilux 3, 2 Tunze 6095, Tunze Wavebox, Aqua Illumination Hydra LEDs
igot2gats is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2013, 01:34 PM   #74
Mike2112
Registered Member

Been reading through this post trying to find an answer for the next fish that I am bringing in for my DT. I currently have a BioCube 29 with Live rock, 2 inch sand bed, 2 blue leg hermit crabs and 8 snails (various types) for algea control and other clean up jobs. I have two B&W Oscellaris clowns and I will be adding an Orange Spotted Goby (Amblyeleotris guttata) to the mix. I have heard from a few peeps that the gobies (like butterfly fish) are copper sensative and have been recommended to put them through a Paragaurd (Seachem's) bath 3X every other day and then 4 week min observation in QT.

I QT'd the clown fish so that is not the issue. Is the goby sensitive to copper? Has anyone used Paraguard? Thanks for the info.

Mike2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2013, 03:32 PM   #75
Mike2112
Registered Member

One other question I forgot to ask. Will I need a small dish of sand in the QT tank like you do for some wrasses so the goby will sleep in it, or will the usually PVC pieces be sufficient?

Thank you.
-Mike

Mike2112 is offline   Reply With Quote