Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/12/2009, 04:40 PM   #251
BeanAnimal
Registered Member

Re: Bean, super thead

Quote:
Originally posted by NVReefer
i am a newb and have read most all of this thread, wow, amazing.
can you give me your thoughts on this,
100g cube, will have a sump. just trying to get the drains worked out, i see the driller tomorrow with my plan so any help is appreciated.
viewed from back

thanks for the great reading.

Looks good.. Cheat one of the holes up 1/2" or so for the open channel. It will aid in getting the system tuned quickly.

Last edited by Misled; 10/30/2017 at 06:54 PM.
BeanAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2009, 04:52 PM   #252
Heavy Hittah
Registered Member

greetings everyone

i am another who wants to use this setup, but need some help.

i have a non drilled AGA 75 gallon and at first i was going to do everything like beans design but now i decided to change it a tad.
If i went with a glass internal overflow half the length of the tank (or 24in x 5in x 5in) and i used 3 x1.5in bulkheads with a 30 gallon sump, what would be the best return pump to use so that the flow through the sump is not too fast?

Current Tank Info: 75 gallon tank, DIY Stand, 20long sump, 29g reef, 10g nano
Heavy Hittah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2009, 06:07 PM   #253
teesquare
Coral Curmudgeon

Matt:
I have a question about your proposed tank configuration: Your drawing ( which is very nice BTW...) does not show any trim or bracing around the top. Will the tank be an "Elos" style - or rimless tank? If not - you might want to model the trim/bracing on the drawing, and perhaps even do a cardboard mock up.
I say this - because the access to the "intake trough" ( forgive me BeAn - I am not sure what to call it if other than an overflow) IS tight - should you need to remove anything.
Just a thought ....( I only get one thought every 3 to 4 months )
T

Current Tank Info: 700 gallon combined reef/frag systems - 650gal Cichlid system
teesquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2009, 08:03 PM   #254
dzhuo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BeanAnimal
This is all clearly explained here and in the long thread and at my website. You may want to spend a little more time looking at oveflows and understanding how they work before you decide on what suits your setup best
Thx Bean! One last question, is there a way to dial down the capacity with your design? My tank is 150g 3 1.5 bulkhead, with the primary drain in full normal operation, it's going to have a very high capacity, do you think there is a way to dial this down a little if I don't want that much overflow through the sump?

dzhuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2009, 09:25 PM   #255
brackishdude
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by norgemorir
I would appreciate your input or any others who can tell me if this plan has merit. I've seen the topic mentioned and a few photos of versions but due to my future confines I wanted to propose this setup.

Here for speed of getting something together, i put 22" length.

Thanks, Matt
You've seen my tank in the calfo thread!

Each box has two stockman variants of the durso, and I never have gotten it as quiet as I want.

If I were to do it again, I would do as you have drawn with a single outside box rather than two, or at least put a third hole in each of the boxes to allow use of Bean's design.

Make the box as long as you can and add an extra hole to the back of the tank if you can.

Make sure that at only 5" tall your fittings will fit . I had to get creative, but then I have glass lids on mine with a 1/4" tee fitting in a hole drilled into the lid to further muffle the sound (makes the whole boox a durso, kinda, except you don't really limit the air flow).

Last edited by Misled; 10/30/2017 at 06:54 PM.
brackishdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2009, 10:58 AM   #256
NVReefer
Registered Member

bean,
quick question, my display tank is going to be about 6ft higher (top) than the sump which will be located in the garage area. question is, the sump is going to be 7 to 8ft over (to the side) from the display, do you think there will be a problem with the horizontal run of the system when using your draining method?
vertical drop from tank overflow would be about 4ft then horizontal to sump about 7ft then 1ft into top of sump.

thanks again.

NVReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2009, 01:47 PM   #257
mkarston
Registered Member

So what is the though on using a “U” trap? Someone suggested it earlier in this thread, but for me I am not sure I will be able to do a “beanAnimal siphon” drain. (I might have to stick with a durso given my situation). I would use a trap just because I don’t have much room, and would need to drop the drain pipe down past the top of my sump, and then back up over into the sump.
Would this be a big issue? Anyone using a trap?

mkarston is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2009, 03:17 PM   #258
NVReefer
Registered Member

bean,
making last minute design changes, and have another question, i can't edit my above post, so here it is......

drains 1in, (3) in middle as per original, but i am thinking of running my 3/4in returns slightly higher than the drains on each side and run through the bottom of overflow coast 2 coast with a 90 then terminate with ???
thoughts from you or anyone else about the returns run through the overflow. any pics would be great.
if it sounds good, is it wiser to run through bottom or straight out the front of the overflow.

i am trying to avoid the over the top return lines.

sorry for so many questions, but i am trying to get it right from the start.
thanks

Last edited by NVReefer; 03/13/2009 at 03:50 PM.
Unread 03/13/2009, 04:16 PM   #259
Falcn
Registered Member

My build

Thought I'd show you my build of this style overflow. In the UK we don't get sanitary T, so I used a 45 and a 45 T to smooth the flow. It stands off the tank a little further, so I placed the overflow at one end of the tank.

The only problem I've encounted is cavitation and therefore noise introduced by the valve halfway down the pipe. I'v now added a second valve at the bottom and opened the mid point valve fully. Now works silently.

The overflow is almost coast to coast, but chamfered to avoid the front glass.

Falcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2009, 04:55 PM   #260
dzhuo
Registered Member

what's the drain capacity you guys have? i have always told to shot for 3 to 5x of the tank volume in the sump. a single siphon will have ~2000gph or so (?), that seems a lot of flow through the sump. are any of you guys concern about the high turn around? or do you find a way to dial the flow down a bit any yet still make it silent? am i wrong to think that if the return pump is not powerful enough, the siphon will not be able to form because there won't be enough water in the overflow box?

Unread 03/13/2009, 05:40 PM   #261
BeanAnimal
Registered Member

Re: greetings everyone

Quote:
Originally posted by Heavy Hittah
i am another who wants to use this setup, but need some help.

i have a non drilled AGA 75 gallon and at first i was going to do everything like beans design but now i decided to change it a tad.
If i went with a glass internal overflow half the length of the tank (or 24in x 5in x 5in) and i used 3 x1.5in bulkheads with a 30 gallon sump, what would be the best return pump to use so that the flow through the sump is not too fast?
There is nothing wrong with a high flow sump. In a traditional durso setup, high flow will carry bubbles through to the return pump. In a siphon setup, there are no bubbles. The choice in return pump size is based on many factors (other forms of flow, return compartment depth and size, sump equipment, etc).

Unread 03/13/2009, 05:42 PM   #262
BeanAnimal
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dzhuo
Thx Bean! One last question, is there a way to dial down the capacity with your design? My tank is 150g 3 1.5 bulkhead, with the primary drain in full normal operation, it's going to have a very high capacity, do you think there is a way to dial this down a little if I don't want that much overflow through the sump?
Flow through the sump is purely a function of the return pump size. If you want less flow, get a smaller return pump or valve the current pump back (on the discharge side).

Unread 03/13/2009, 05:45 PM   #263
BeanAnimal
Registered Member

Quote:
bean,
quick question, my display tank is going to be about 6ft higher (top) than the sump which will be located in the garage area. question is, the sump is going to be 7 to 8ft over (to the side) from the display, do you think there will be a problem with the horizontal run of the system when using your draining method?
vertical drop from tank overflow would be about 4ft then horizontal to sump about 7ft then 1ft into top of sump.

thanks again.
The open channel will not work properly and will instead gurgle because of the trapped air.

Make the horizontal run slanted and use 2.5" or larger PVC to allow for air space. The vertical to horizontal transition should be gradual, not a simple 90.

Unread 03/13/2009, 05:49 PM   #264
BeanAnimal
Registered Member

Quote:
bean,
making last minute design changes, and have another question, i can't edit my above post, so here it is......

drains 1in, (3) in middle as per original, but i am thinking of running my 3/4in returns slightly higher than the drains on each side and run through the bottom of overflow coast 2 coast with a 90 then terminate with ???
thoughts from you or anyone else about the returns run through the overflow. any pics would be great.
if it sounds good, is it wiser to run through bottom or straight out the front of the overflow.

i am trying to avoid the over the top return lines.

sorry for so many questions, but i am trying to get it right from the start.
thanks
I am not sure I follow... you want to run the returns THROUGH the overflow? Seems like a lot of work Drill more holes

Unread 03/13/2009, 05:55 PM   #265
BeanAnimal
Registered Member

Re: My build

Quote:
Originally posted by Falcn
The only problem I've encounted is cavitation and therefore noise introduced by the valve halfway down the pipe. I'v now added a second valve at the bottom and opened the mid point valve fully. Now works silently.
[/B]
It is perfectly acceptable to place the valve near the bottom. In most cases, placing the valve at the top should not produce noticable cavitation once the air is purged (I ran some numbers when I did the design) but it certainly is possible under some conditions.

I am glad the setup is working out for you

Unread 03/13/2009, 05:58 PM   #266
BeanAnimal
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dzhuo
what's the drain capacity you guys have? i have always told to shot for 3 to 5x of the tank volume in the sump. a single siphon will have ~2000gph or so (?), that seems a lot of flow through the sump. are any of you guys concern about the high turn around? or do you find a way to dial the flow down a bit any yet still make it silent? am i wrong to think that if the return pump is not powerful enough, the siphon will not be able to form because there won't be enough water in the overflow box?
The size of the return pump dicates the flow rate. The valve adjusts the siphon rate to one slightly less than the return pump rate and then the open channel handles the excess.

Sump turnover rates can vary greatly depending on your setup and needs. I prefer moderate to high flow sumps and refugia.

Unread 03/13/2009, 05:59 PM   #267
NVReefer
Registered Member

bean

thanks for the replies,
yes, run the return through the back in the middle of overflow area, then 90 turn to exit the bottom of overflow into tank

any ideas how to make a Silent drain with my horizontal run. i don't see me using 2.5in piping.

Unread 03/13/2009, 06:24 PM   #268
dzhuo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BeanAnimal

The size of the return pump dicates the flow rate. The valve adjusts the siphon rate to one slightly less than the return pump rate and then the open channel handles the excess.
ok, i know i am missing something. i thought (wrongly) that a 1.5" siphon will still perform like a 1.5" siphon even if the valve is dial down a bit. i guess that's not the case? ie, i can easily close the valve and have it perform like a 1" and i will still have a siphon and everything will still be silent.

i hope i make sense... just new to this stuff...

dzhuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2009, 06:24 PM   #269
BeanAnimal
Registered Member

Run the setup as a full siphon (a herbie) and hope it stays in tune. Setup the other standpipe(s) as emergency drains.

Unread 03/13/2009, 09:34 PM   #270
TurboGuru
TBRC Member

BeanAnimal, I have read thru a great deal of this thread and very much appreciate the work you have done on this subject. I am using the setup you described and I would like some input from you on a change that I made.

I recently started a new 90g build and put all of the details plus pictures in the build thread.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...readid=1561603

My change is a collector that I used to bring the three overflow pipes together to one so that I can use a filter sock. I do understand that changes to the system will effect the overall performance of it, but I Hope that this change will not be of the "critical variety." I would very much like your input before I glue it together.

Thanks in advance,
Joe

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly..

"Panic will save your life, provided you are the first to panic and are headed in the right direction." Brannigan

Click on my username and go to my homepage to see my build thread.

Current Tank Info: Soon to Finish (yeah right!) my 90G SPS build.
TurboGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2009, 09:38 PM   #271
norgemorir
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by teesquare
Matt:
I have a question about your proposed tank configuration: Your drawing ( which is very nice BTW...) does not show any trim or bracing around the top. Will the tank be an "Elos" style - or rimless tank? If not - you might want to model the trim/bracing on the drawing, and perhaps even do a cardboard mock up.
I say this - because the access to the "intake trough" ( forgive me BeAn - I am not sure what to call it if other than an overflow) IS tight - should you need to remove anything.
Just a thought ....( I only get one thought every 3 to 4 months )
T
Good point. I will have trim on the tank, just didn't have time to download any components for it when doing the drawing. I'll measure again tomorrow and see what overhang the trim has.

Since this is a constant ongoing debate in my mind, I'm considering again the original method bean proposed but perhaps not coast to coast but leaving off 12". Someone in my club pointed out that in my 90 I won't be as concerned with height loss as I will with depth loss so going full internal may not be that bad. Most of the guys here seem to be ending up with around a 5"x5" or so internal overflow right.. 5" is hard to give up at least for me mentally.

norgemorir is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2009, 09:45 PM   #272
norgemorir
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by brackishdude
You've seen my tank in the calfo thread!

Each box has two stockman variants of the durso, and I never have gotten it as quiet as I want.

If I were to do it again, I would do as you have drawn with a single outside box rather than two, or at least put a third hole in each of the boxes to allow use of Bean's design.

Make the box as long as you can and add an extra hole to the back of the tank if you can.

Make sure that at only 5" tall your fittings will fit . I had to get creative, but then I have glass lids on mine with a 1/4" tee fitting in a hole drilled into the lid to further muffle the sound (makes the whole boox a durso, kinda, except you don't really limit the air flow).
How tall are your external overflows? I think I could afford to go taller if needed but I'm concerned about weight.. If I go, say 24" long and increase the height to 8", I'll end up with a max of 4+ gallons in the box which, if i remember correctly, is 32lbs... Can a siliconed on external box handle that weight?

Last edited by Misled; 10/30/2017 at 06:55 PM.
norgemorir is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2009, 08:18 AM   #273
teesquare
Coral Curmudgeon

Matt:
Is it poosible to do an external box on you new tank design? Who is building the tank?
Even Perfecto now will ( if you beg ) install an external overflow box, and they can have a laser cut "slot" for feeding the external overflow box.
Not pushing a brand here - I was just surprised that they are now trying to compete with some of the smaller, more custom builders.
T

Current Tank Info: 700 gallon combined reef/frag systems - 650gal Cichlid system
teesquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2009, 10:26 AM   #274
MSU Fan
Registered Member

Bean, i seem to get a periodic siphon on my system as it flushs every so often. Am I getting air into the system somewhere???

1-29g FW

5-cats, 1-dog (Shepherd Mix)

Current Tank Info: To be set up 44g corner pentagon
MSU Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2009, 10:31 AM   #275
BeanAnimal
Registered Member

What pipe is flushing?

Tags
beananimal, plumbing