Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/18/2017, 02:36 PM   #1
Ucantwin
Registered Member

Ph cause burnt tips?

I am curious if a rise in ph can cause burnt tips on sps. My ph generally runs on the low end of 7.7 lights out to 7.9-8 when lights on. I have noticed though anytime it gets cool outside and I open the windows in my home I get burnt tips on my sps. It's like clockwork, open the windows and day or two later I notice the burnt tips.

My ph doesn't spike that high, maybe .2 rise above what it normally runs but wondering if this spike is what causes it. Does this make any sense and is this possible. I usually run my alk between 8.5 and 9.

Ucantwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2017, 07:25 PM   #2
bertoni
RC Mod

I don't think that pH at 8.0 or so would cause problems. A change in lighting might be able to do that, though. I'd guess the issue is the extra light.

Unread 11/18/2017, 07:57 PM   #3
Ucantwin
Registered Member

I am not understanding what you mean by extra light. When I open the windows the light doesn't shine on the tank. I do not think a ph of 8 will cause bunt tips, I am wondering if a spike over a day to 8.2 from my usual 8 will cause issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
I don't think that pH at 8.0 or so would cause problems. A change in lighting might be able to do that, though. I'd guess the issue is the extra light.

Unread 11/18/2017, 08:28 PM   #4
Daddi0
Registered Member

Can you run the airline from the skimmer through the wall to outside so that the reef always gets the same amount of oxygen/co2 ? Here is a great article on PHhttp://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-05/rhf/index.php

Daddi0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2017, 08:55 PM   #5
Ucantwin
Registered Member

Thanks for that advice Daddio but I currently do that, it doesn't help that much. I am not too worried about my current ph value, I am talking about the sudden rise in ph that goes beyond my normal level.

Last edited by Ucantwin; 11/18/2017 at 09:03 PM.
Unread 11/18/2017, 10:24 PM   #6
bertoni
RC Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucantwin View Post
I am not understanding what you mean by extra light. When I open the windows the light doesn't shine on the tank. I do not think a ph of 8 will cause bunt tips, I am wondering if a spike over a day to 8.2 from my usual 8 will cause issues.
pH at 8.2 is still a bit below or at the average ocean level. I don't think it should be harmful. I suspect that the pH is higher because of increased photosynthesis from more light, but I don't know much about how this room is illuminated by the sun.

Unread 11/18/2017, 10:51 PM   #7
Ucantwin
Registered Member

I have high co2 levels in my home due to being sealed up. The ph went higher when I opened the windows to let fresh air in,reducing my co2 levels. Through gas exchange in my tank it also raised my tank ph beyond what it normally runs. Adding a co2 scrubber, a line from your skimmer to fresh air or opening my windows allows gas exchange with less co2 saturated air, raising ph.

I understand a ph of 8.2 is still not high enough to cause issues. I believe my issue is my tank always hits a max of 8 during peak light hours. The few times a year I open the windows in my house my tanks ph will go up to 8.2 that day. With the ph going to 8.2, which is not normal for my tank, causing issues because it is out side of my tanks norm.

I don't think it has anything to do with lights. Especially since opening a window doesn't allow more light in, just air.

Unread 11/19/2017, 06:18 AM   #8
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Try to keep your alk around 7.5-8 and see if the problem goes away..
Some people have reported that with very low nitrate/phosphate levels (ULNS) when their alk was around 9 or so that they were getting burnt tips..