Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/13/2014, 07:48 PM   #1
metanis
Registered Member

Clowns on the move

I am guilty of being new to this hobby and forum. I have had freshwater tanks for years and have always been intimidated by the saltwater lure. When I had the chance to take on a 110 gallon system for free, I couldn't pass it up. We are 2 months in the making now with several inhabitants that seem to be thriving. There are scattered soft corals throughout, Astrea snails, 1 ocellaris clown, 1 black ocellaris clown and 1 royal gramma. I am wondering how much flow in the tank is too much. I have my 2 sump returns which have a Mag 7 pump behind them. I also am running 2 powerheads 24/7, one 425 gph pump and one that I believe to be 800 gph.
My work schedule is quite variable so much so that within a week, I will get a look at my clowns throughout the day and night. I have never seen them sleep. The black ocellaris will appear to sleep for very short periods of time where he suspends in the water column before swimming around further. I have never seen the ocellaris slow down, even for brief periods. They eat well, are a little feisty with each other at times and seem to be doing well. Should I put one of my circ pumps on a timer so that there is less flow at night? Can they tolerate such high flow continuously? Any help is greatly appreciated.

metanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2014, 03:09 PM   #2
edinphilly
Registered Member

Mine are fine with continuos high flow. Some people do bring it down at night.

edinphilly is offline   Reply With Quote