Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/22/2009, 07:39 PM   #1
NoHooks
Registered Member

Ugrade HQI on Current Outer Orbit?

I have a 48" Current Outer Orbit with 2 150W MH and 2 130W PC. My tank is 30" deep. Can I replace the 2 150W MH lamps to 250W lamps powered by an external dual 250 ballast?

Current Tank Info: The Blue Lagoon - 240 gallon mixed reef
NoHooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2009, 08:54 PM   #2
NoHooks
Registered Member

Any reason I shouldn't do this?

Unread 10/22/2009, 10:19 PM   #3
Toddrtrex
Registered Member

Would need to get new endcaps/sockets -- 150's are smaller, and I believe different shape too.

I am not sure if the reflectors are smaller or not --- so that might have to be modified too.

Current Tank Info: 210g reef and 65g reef
Toddrtrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2009, 10:27 PM   #4
SC Trojan
Registered Member

i dont think it would be too difficult as i plan on doing the same thing with my sunpod 150>250. I believe all you would have to do is remove the internal ballast buy and remount new 250w de receptacles, i think the ones in the unit wouldnt accept or handle the 250w bulb. That and the gauge of all the wiring would have to be upgraded to handle the extra juice. I think the bulb should fit in the reflector as well since its only 1/2 in longer than a 150. Im probably going to run a dual galaxy or blue wave 7, not sure. Im pretty sure somebody has done but havent been able to find anyone yet, so ill let you know how it goes or if you get it done before myself , let me know.

SC Trojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2009, 03:07 PM   #5
NoHooks
Registered Member

Thanks, everyone. I did some further research and I'm thinking this can be easily done. As SC Trojan stated, the 250W bulbs are longer (+1/4"), and as Toddrtrex said, the sockets are different - 250W uses an "FC2" socket and 150/70W uses an RX7S socket. I found the sockets on-line for $3.99 per pair ( http://www.reefshops.com/lighting/diy-parts.html ). The reflectors in the Current can easily accommodate a bulb 1" longer, and I plan on mounting the ballast externally so the fans in the Current fixture should be able to handle the additional heat released by the 250W bulbs. I'm leaning toward the Hamilton dual 250W ballast - it has two power cords and two switches.

Unread 11/18/2009, 06:47 AM   #6
NoHooks
Registered Member

Well, I completed two Outer Orbit conversions, 150W to 250W. Those who replied to my initial posting were most assuredly on the mark - it wasn't just a case of switching bulbs. In summary, this is what I did:
1) Removed the two 150W ballasts and the bulb sockets.
2) Rewired the fans to the now non-functional switch for the removed 150W fixtures.
3) Modified the reflectors to accommodate the new and bigger 250W sockets.
4) Drilled two holes in the main fixture to accommodate two new cords - I'll be using 2
external Icecap 250W electronic ballasts.
5) Wired the new sockets to new cords with male plugs on the ends to connect to
the new ballasts.
6) Test fired the result with Phoenix 250W 14K bulbs - awesome!

The end result is I now have two 48" Current Outer Orbit light fixtures each w/two 250W halides and two 130W PC for a total of 1520 watts for my 8 foot, 30" deep 240 gallon tank. Other than delays associated with shipping, the whole effort took less than 2 evenings.

Thanks to everyone for their replies and assistance.

Unread 04/13/2010, 05:53 AM   #7
sympley
Registered Member

Do you have any pictures of the DIY? I be doing this conversion on my 60" Outer Orbit. How did the new 250W sockets fit? Did the screws line up with some other holes or did you had to weld in some sort of support. I have not taken apart my fixture yet (scared a bit) but any hits or help would be greatly appreciated.

sympley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2010, 10:35 AM   #8
NoHooks
Registered Member

I'll look for some pictures. The key to my successful modification was having all the necessary components on-hand before I began. The only tricky part was in modifying the reflectors to accommodate the new bulb fixtures. For that part I used tin-snips to make several cuts in the reflectors. There was no need to drill new holes for the new fixtures. Of course, the inside of your 60" fixture may be different than mine, although I doubt it. I also added two new cords so that each of the MHs could be individually controlled (I used one of the existing cords to control the fan). That may not be a concern for you. Keep in touch if you have more questions.