Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/24/2013, 12:16 AM   #126
Michigan Mike
Freedom costs a buckofive

Quote:
Originally Posted by roni View Post
see, trying to trick me Hit a nice milestone at work and figured I'd treat myself

4 and 4 makes it tougher for dusk/dawn. What i really miss is how the vho true actinics looked like for dusk/dawn. I haven't played with the LEDs. I wonder if I could use the LEDs for that effect.

Something like:

12:00 pm -4:00 pm (ramp blue LEDs from 0-100); 8-11:00 pm ramp blue LEDs from 100-0)
4:00 pm -6:00 ramp up white LEDs from (0-100 and then slowly ramp back down from 6:00-8:00)
2-10pm (2 B+ and 2 P+) for "dusk/dawn"
4-9 pm (all 8 t5 (4 B+, 2 P+, 2 AB sp)

Basically, that would have peak intensity will all lights on with a 14K look from 4-8 with varying intensities over a total photoperiod of 11 hours.

Pretty confusing but haven't played with LEDs before. Does this make any sense?
I actually like to run 3 blue & 1 purple for the dawn/dusk so I would like it being 4 & 4 like that.

Michigan Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2013, 02:03 PM   #127
roni
Premium Member

Had a nice talk with David at Reefgeek.

His thought was to use the blue LEDs ramped to low intensity for dusk dawn with the B+/P+ combo helping segue into the peak period. I'm also thinking of incorporating a true actinic now to really get that flourescent pop.

I think I'm going with 4 B+, 1 P+, 1 GE, and 1 true actinic. Debating the last bulb in the combo. In my prior combo I had 6 B+, 2 P + and 2 GE 6500K. The P+ really hit the pink/purple/red and the GEs were great for a daylight spike. I'm curious what people think about the coral plus bulb that's out, which is supposed to be a mix of the B+, AB sp, and P+.

Also, talking to him, it doesn't sound like there is any clear ETA on the 60" fixtures at this point. I'm hoping it's soon!

roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2013, 04:46 PM   #128
rodneyri
Registered Member

I run 3B + 1P and use the LEDs to adjust the coloring during the day, then for an hour in the afternoon I add 2B + 2KZ New Gen to the mix.

I took out my actinic - not sure its needed???

Unread 05/25/2013, 08:42 PM   #129
roni
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneyri View Post
I run 3B + 1P and use the LEDs to adjust the coloring during the day, then for an hour in the afternoon I add 2B + 2KZ New Gen to the mix.

I took out my actinic - not sure its needed???
Thanks rodneyri. The more I think about it, I think you're probably right. I really like the color in your video so simulating something similar is what I'm going to shoot for. I do really like the GE 6500K bulb though.

I think my final bulb combo will be 5 B+, 1 GE 6500K, 1 P+, and 1 C+ (which should be give me a nice balanced bulb)

Unread 05/26/2013, 12:54 AM   #130
rodneyri
Registered Member

Ive not tried a GE globe but heard good things about them, give it a go. your bulb combo would be nice too, post up some pics and thoughts when you set it up keen to hear!

Unread 05/26/2013, 03:24 AM   #131
roni
Premium Member

Quote:
Ive not tried a GE globe but heard good things about them, give it a go. your bulb combo would be nice too, post up some pics and thoughts when you set it up keen to hear!
sounds good. It will be a while until I can post pics, however, as there doesn't seem to be a clear ETA on when the 60" module will land here in the states.

Unread 05/26/2013, 04:30 AM   #132
v1...rotate
A Reef In The Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingphish View Post
This is the best light I have ever had the pleasure of owning.

http://youtu.be/CUAISajrmNA
Thank you for this video.

How loud are the cooling fans for the LEDs? I've been told they are louder T5 fans.

Zeovit Featured Tank 2012
Reef Central TOTM Nov 2013
Reef Hobbyist Magazine Featured Tank 2015

Current Tank Info: 'A Reef in the Sky'
v1...rotate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2013, 05:06 PM   #133
rodneyri
Registered Member

They are only loud when the led turns on for a few seconds. I can't hear them when the light is in operation. I certainly wouldn't call this out as a negative for the light

Unread 05/27/2013, 01:15 AM   #134
Michigan Mike

Jeez its only been a couple months.... Man I want some growth/color comparisons already!

Unread 05/28/2013, 03:20 PM   #135
bjm1287
Registered Member

the sunpower kicks ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscusHeckel View Post
Agreed.

That's why I am sticking with my ATI Sunpower. I do not mind tube replacements either. I get replenished PAR readings every nine to ten months.

Current Tank Info: 75 gal mixed reef
bjm1287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2013, 07:53 PM   #136
rodneyri
Registered Member

Is like to see some photos too! I've had a tough run with my tank currently ordered all new rock and sand and pulling it all down to start again. Lost everything in the tank! Sux cause I was hoping to see the difference with this light over straight led.

Unread 05/28/2013, 10:07 PM   #137
mavgi
Registered Member

Quote:
Had a nice talk with David at Reefgeek.

His thought was to use the blue LEDs ramped to low intensity for dusk dawn with the B+/P+ combo helping segue into the peak period. I'm also thinking of incorporating a true actinic now to really get that flourescent pop.

I think I'm going with 4 B+, 1 P+, 1 GE, and 1 true actinic. Debating the last bulb in the combo. In my prior combo I had 6 B+, 2 P + and 2 GE 6500K. The P+ really hit the pink/purple/red and the GEs were great for a daylight spike. I'm curious what people think about the coral plus bulb that's out, which is supposed to be a mix of the B+, AB sp, and P+.

Also, talking to him, it doesn't sound like there is any clear ETA on the 60" fixtures at this point. I'm hoping it's soon!

To me he suggest to go with : 5 B+ , 2 AB , 1 P . I ordered the 60" to my 180 , you answered to my post that it's may overkill to 72" x 24" x 24" (thanks) but I want to keep them at least 18" from the tank and it will cover most SPS . He also mention that the aqua blue are very strong bulb... I don't want to much blue because this I can get from the LED bulbs.

mavgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2013, 10:20 PM   #138
Michigan Mike

Quote:
Is like to see some photos too! I've had a tough run with my tank currently ordered all new rock and sand and pulling it all down to start again. Lost everything in the tank! Sux cause I was hoping to see the difference with this light over straight led.
Whoa, sorry to hear that, what happened? ...or did I miss so etching obvious?

Unread 05/28/2013, 10:41 PM   #139
rodneyri
Registered Member

A number of things really. Started from alk swing when I added in new sand, then bad bucket of salt.... The bucket had a crack in it when delivered I thought nothing of it so started using it to find out it was all mouldy about half way down basically tank collapsed. Now the rock smells a bit so just trash and start again.

Unread 05/29/2013, 05:27 AM   #140
SPotter
Registered Member

Quote:
A number of things really. Started from alk swing when I added in new sand, then bad bucket of salt.... The bucket had a crack in it when delivered I thought nothing of it so started using it to find out it was all mouldy about half way down basically tank collapsed. Now the rock smells a bit so just trash and start again.
Isn't this hobby just grand? Think of all the grands we put into our tanks. Actually, don't think about it you might not want to stay in the hobby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Am I really doing all of this for a fish tank??????

Current Tank Info: 360g Envision Acrylic Tank, Closed Loops, Vectra L1's, MP40QD's, 400w Radiums, Regal 300ext, Dastaco Ext3 CaRx, Controlled by GHL Profilux
SPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2013, 06:14 AM   #141
roni
Premium Member

Quote:
man, i'm really sorry to hear that. Your tank was one of the nicest I've seen.

Preordered mine. Now just biding time until Reefgeek gets it in. I'll post pics of the setup once it's up.

Unread 05/29/2013, 07:07 AM   #142
SPotter
Registered Member

Quote:
man, i'm really sorry to hear that. Your tank was one of the nicest I've seen.

Preordered mine. Now just biding time until Reefgeek gets it in. I'll post pics of the setup once it's up.
which one did you get Roni????? Looks like my move is going thru so my current tank will come down and be sold. Once in the new house I will begin planning the new tank...96x36x30 and my plan is to use the ATI PM Led fixture on it.

Am I really doing all of this for a fish tank??????

Current Tank Info: 360g Envision Acrylic Tank, Closed Loops, Vectra L1's, MP40QD's, 400w Radiums, Regal 300ext, Dastaco Ext3 CaRx, Controlled by GHL Profilux
SPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2013, 08:12 AM   #143
roni
Premium Member

I ordered the biggest one, the 8 x 80 with 4 75 W LED clusters. Are you going with two units over the new tank? Don't want to move the old tank? BTW, driving through your part of the country the upcoming weekend (driving from DC to boston). Any recs on stores/things to see?

Unread 05/29/2013, 04:07 PM   #144
flyingphish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1...rotate View Post
Thank you for this video.

How loud are the cooling fans for the LEDs? I've been told they are louder T5 fans.
You are most welcome.

Here is a better video of just the fans. Not too noisy...

http://youtu.be/c_Alw0g9H2I

Unread 05/29/2013, 06:10 PM   #145
loweryster
Registered Member

Quote:
You are most welcome.

Here is a better video of just the fans. Not too noisy...

http://youtu.be/c_Alw0g9H2I
What do you run your LEDs at? I'm at 50% on the B+/ABS setting, fans are dead silent. I did however run the default program for a day and the fan on the LEDs was racing up and down. At the same time I didn't notice 2 of the t5 fans were not spinning because of the ATI logo was pressed against them from shipping.

Current Tank Info: Marineland 93G Cube, 2 x Vortech MP40W, Bubble King Double Cone 180 / Mini RD3 DC Speedy Pump, Red Dragon 3 Mini Speedy 50w DC Return Pump, ATI 24 x 8 PM Hybrid , Apex, GHL 3 head doser, Zeovit system, Arctica 1/10 HP
loweryster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/31/2013, 11:15 AM   #146
flyingphish
Registered Member

I am running the default program right now. LEDs at 100% (or 255)

I did change T5 channel two to run for only 1 hour a day until corals acclimate.

This is the brightest light I have ever owned. Brighter than dual 400w radiums with 4XT5's.

It LITES up the tank with all 8 T5's burning and LED's 100%...

Best adjective I can summon is: Scorching

Unread 05/31/2013, 01:33 PM   #147
Jmason95
Registered Member

Quote:
I am running the default program right now. LEDs at 100% (or 255)

I did change T5 channel two to run for only 1 hour a day until corals acclimate.

This is the brightest light I have ever owned. Brighter than dual 400w radiums with 4XT5's.

It LITES up the tank with all 8 T5's burning and LED's 100%...

Best adjective I can summon is: Scorching

Thanks for posting your videos. I've run T5's as supplements to Halides, but never full T5. I like the color you have - what's your bulb combo?

TIA

Current Tank Info: 35x28x20 starphire Lee Mar
Jmason95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/31/2013, 01:47 PM   #148
flyingphish
Registered Member

you're welcome...

Combos I run (ATI bulbs):

ATI T5/LED - B+,C+,B+, B+ |LED| C+, B+, P+, B+

Giesemann MH/T5 - B+, C+ |MH| P+, B+

Unread 06/04/2013, 03:24 PM   #149
Tactics
Registered Member

Anyone up for sharing pics of their tank after switching to the LED PM?

Tactics is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/04/2013, 08:34 PM   #150
rorroreef
Resident Wise Guy

Anyone know where to get the online program to set them via computer?

rorroreef is offline   Reply With Quote