Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/17/2019, 01:26 AM   #1
PCguy21
Registered Member.

Why does my refractometer alwats have to be calibrated

So question is in the thread title.. im doing hypo and i noticed my refractometer always has to be recalibrated. Is it temperature based or something ? Like my room can be 80f one minute then 72f the next so i dunno.

But im doing hypo in my tank and i have BRS refracto juice fairly new bottle and cap has always been on after. Like tonight i changed 50% of my water put in the exact amount of cups of salt i know it takes to bring it back to 1.08 and sure enough it was 1.08 after the tank mixed around for an hour or so.

Then i played some video games. And 3 hours later i checked the tank... it said it was at 1.06. I checked the refracto juice and it said 1.024 so recalibrated back to 1.0264 which in the middle ofr 26 and 27. Checked my tank and its at 1.08 like i left it.

Why does ny refractometer always do this ? Every day it has to be checked with the refracto juice so i know for sure what the salinity actually is.

Is this normal ? Is it room temperature based or something ?

PCguy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2019, 02:03 AM   #2
Tastee
Registered Member

This is normal and yes it is temperature based. I just recalibrate mine with tap water before each use. It’s not as ‘good’ as calibrating with 35 ppt solution but I’m after stability not 100% accuracy so that is not an issue for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tastee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2019, 03:35 AM   #3
PCguy21
Registered Member.

Ok just makin sure... normally i wouldnt care but i need it to stay at 1.08

Unread 04/17/2019, 05:50 AM   #4
ReefsandGeeks
Registered Member

My refractometer has been unstable lately as well. Seems it needs adjusted +/- 2 ppt either way from day to day. Used to be more stable, so not sure what's been making it less stable lately. Perhaps the changing weather? I also now check and adjust calibration before each use to ensure it's reading right. Has saved me from making salinity adjustments that would not have been necessary.

Would be nice to get one of those digital ones if you can justify the cost.

ReefsandGeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2019, 06:37 AM   #5
ducati1212
Registered Member

Mine was doing the same thing. It was off every time and I had to calibrate. Off by allot I would test it would be 1.021 so I would calibrate need to adjust re test 10 minutes later 1.028.

I bought a Hanna salinity tester and its been great. Assuming its reading right its been great that is. and if its not im in happy ignorance.

ducati1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2019, 02:47 PM   #6
dadnjesse
Registered Member

I have three refractometers one is an expensive VeeGee and they all differ. Then I bought the Milwaukee Digital one. It has been the most stable refractometer out of them all.

dadnjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2019, 03:46 PM   #7
outssider
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCguy21 View Post
Is it temperature based or something ?
They can be very temperature sensitive always calibrate right before use.

You are going to have a problem trying to get 1.08 salinity...if you calibrate with 1.026 fluid and are testing water that's at or close to 1.026 your going to be accurate. If you're sample is close to -0- you want to calibrate with ro/di water...but your sample is at 1.08...ideally you would want to calibrate at 1.08....you might be better off calibrating with ro/di water because that is a lot closer to your sample of 1.08....

Current Tank Info: 75 Gal. Mixed reef mostly sps
outssider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2019, 04:38 PM   #8
PCguy21
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outssider View Post
They can be very temperature sensitive always calibrate right before use.

You are going to have a problem trying to get 1.08 salinity...if you calibrate with 1.026 fluid and are testing water that's at or close to 1.026 your going to be accurate. If you're sample is close to -0- you want to calibrate with ro/di water...but your sample is at 1.08...ideally you would want to calibrate at 1.08....you might be better off calibrating with ro/di water because that is a lot closer to your sample of 1.08....

I dont have ro di water
I use tap water to fill mytanks. Never had an issue with that. I live ina townhouse so i cant store 200 gallon drums like some people do lol

I can buy some distilled water. Would that work ? Tbh id think distilled is more pure then since its evaporated water.

And fyi testing with mytap watee after refracto juice 1.026 it reads 1.001. So my tap is pretty close to 0.

Ill get some distilled and check it with that.. but are you sure about this because i was told even for hypo to use calibration fluid.

Last edited by PCguy21; 04/17/2019 at 04:47 PM.
Unread 04/17/2019, 05:34 PM   #9
bshow24
Registered Member

Calibrating either way will work, but as was stated, if your temp is fluctuating that much, you'll definitely need to calibrate before you use it every time.

On another note, are you mixing the salt water in the actual tank, or are you doing it before and then adding it? Be careful adding salt to a tank that already has livestock in it - can be very dangerous.

As far as RODI, you don't need drums. I also live in a small place, all I do is set up my RODI whenever I need to make water. When I'm making salt water, I typically set up a container for the night, make the water and mix it, then change about 24 hours later. Then everything gets stored up until the next use. Fairly easy and an RODI is definitely worth the investment. Even if Tap Water is getting you by currently, it doesn't mean it always will. But knock on wood that it keeps working for you!

Equipment: 2x Radion XR15 Pro, Radion XR30 Pro, Vectra M1 Return, 2x MP40 Powerhead
bshow24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2019, 09:10 PM   #10
outssider
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCguy21 View Post
re you sure about this because i was told even for hypo to use calibration fluid
ideally you want calibration fluid that is 1.08....but I don't think that exists, you could make your own but that would be expensive if you don't have the proper equipment (scale)….if it were me, and I had to choose between distilled and 1.026 calibration fluid ...I'd choose distilled because it is closer to 1.08

Current Tank Info: 75 Gal. Mixed reef mostly sps
outssider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2019, 09:25 PM   #11
PCguy21
Registered Member.

Well distilled is showing 8n the negative by 2 points so 1.08 is 1.010 accroding to it..

So what should i trust refracto juice qt 1.08 or distilled... one of them is off by 2 points.. and id hate to go to 1.06 lol if its really 1.08 but also 1.010 is kimda pushing it. Although 1.010 seems to work for my ich issue if it is 1.010.

Edit: i take that back.. after 2 min the distilled showed 1.000. Tap water showed 1.001 so it seems the refracto juice is no different then distilled water lol.. or even tap water... what a scam lol

Last edited by PCguy21; 04/17/2019 at 09:31 PM.
Unread 04/17/2019, 09:28 PM   #12
PCguy21
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshow24 View Post
Calibrating either way will work, but as was stated, if your temp is fluctuating that much, you'll definitely need to calibrate before you use it every time.

On another note, are you mixing the salt water in the actual tank, or are you doing it before and then adding it? Be careful adding salt to a tank that already has livestock in it - can be very dangerous.

As far as RODI, you don't need drums. I also live in a small place, all I do is set up my RODI whenever I need to make water. When I'm making salt water, I typically set up a container for the night, make the water and mix it, then change about 24 hours later. Then everything gets stored up until the next use. Fairly easy and an RODI is definitely worth the investment. Even if Tap Water is getting you by currently, it doesn't mean it always will. But knock on wood that it keeps working for you!

Tabk is too large to do 50 gallons by 5 gallon buckets.. and since it needs to go up only 0.004 points i do it by a little container.. mix it pour some in let it mix in the tank.. mix it.. pour some in ect.. Hasnt cause any issues.. now i wouldnt do that if i were at 1.026 and did a 50% water change.. id do it the hard way.

But i hear what your saying.

Unread 04/18/2019, 07:53 PM   #13
zachfishman
Registered Member

If it hasn't been stated already, take 2-3 readings to make sure the first isn't a fluke. I often find that between 2, 3, or even 4 readings one will be off (maybe some dried salt on the slide the first time, etc).

Tampa Bay Reef Club BOD 2018

Current Tank Info: 34g modded Solana
zachfishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2019, 08:54 PM   #14
Kevin Guthrie
Registered Member

Question: if you don't have any RO/DI or distilled, what are you doing to clean the refractometer after each use? Anything left to dry on the prism and cover surfaces will mix back into your sample next time and make it read saltier.

Kevin Guthrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2019, 01:09 AM   #15
PCguy21
Registered Member.

im using tap water or my breath and a clean cloth, i just tested my tap its 1.01 and distilled is 1.00 and the refracto juice shows 1.026 after i used distilled, so wiping it off leaves no residue

Unread 04/19/2019, 08:52 AM   #16
nereefpat
Registered Member

"Refracto juice" LOL.

If you have distilled water and 35ppt calibration fluid, then make your own calibration fluid by combining them both.

2 parts distilled water + 1 part calibration fluid = 11.7 ppt calibration fluid or 1.0087 specific gravity.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2019, 09:24 AM   #17
75mixedreef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nereefpat View Post
"Refracto juice" LOL.

If you have distilled water and 35ppt calibration fluid, then make your own calibration fluid by combining them both.

2 parts distilled water + 1 part calibration fluid = 11.7 ppt calibration fluid or 1.0087 specific gravity.
Good luck getting that mixed exactly though. You would have to mix a very large batch or have very precise measurement tools to get a reliable mixture.

75mixedreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2019, 09:54 AM   #18
nereefpat
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75mixedreef View Post
Good luck getting that mixed exactly though. You would have to mix a very large batch or have very precise measurement tools to get a reliable mixture.
Doesn't have to be that expensive or precise...You don't have to use a volumetric flask.

5 mL syringe would work fine (should have those lying around with test kits), and so would a graduated cylinder (a few bucks on amazon).

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2019, 12:06 PM   #19
PCguy21
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nereefpat View Post
"Refracto juice" LOL.

I hear ya.. but tbh its easier to spend 5$ wait for it come in the mail... but i just learned distilled and even my tap water are 0 so tbh there is no need to make 1.08 solution.. specially if i calibrate to 0 then use 1.026 solution and it reads at 1.026 that means there is no discrepency in the hypo measurement.