Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/20/2013, 08:12 AM   #326
Wayner2
Registered Member

Thanks for quick response, yesterday, I ordered the 2 foot 4 bulb Hybrid for my cube, since I've never run t5's or LED before, only Halide and only Radiums which means I prefer the 20K look.

Any suggestions on which 4 bulbs I should run with the LED, I realize I should be able to control the look by tinkering with the LED, but i'm kind of lost at this point as to what t5 bulbs to by.

This is an all sps / clam tank.

Thanks in advance

Wayner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2013, 10:46 AM   #327
loweryster
Registered Member

This is a good starting point. http://www.atinorthamerica.com/faq.php
Check the FAQs for "what bulb combination do you recommend"
I have an 8bulb and run their 20k suggestion for a while, it was very blue in combination with the LEDs.

Current Tank Info: Marineland 93G Cube, 2 x Vortech MP40W, Bubble King Double Cone 180 / Mini RD3 DC Speedy Pump, Red Dragon 3 Mini Speedy 50w DC Return Pump, ATI 24 x 8 PM Hybrid , Apex, GHL 3 head doser, Zeovit system, Arctica 1/10 HP
loweryster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2013, 05:38 PM   #328
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

One of these will be in my possession in the next week or so!

4x24w with 2 blue plus and 2 coral plus. I also have an aqua blue, actinic, GE 6500k and purple plus to play around with. I can also run all 4 blue if I want so it will be fun messing around with everything!

Click on my user name and check out my homepage!

Current Tank Info: 50g Cadlights/Giesemann Spectra (250w Radium, 2 ATI Blue Plus, 2 ATI Actinic)/2 x Vortech MP10wQD/Skimz SN123/Eheim Compact 3000+
rtparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2013, 06:26 PM   #329
herbklee
Registered Member

Has anybody tried hanging a powermodule led fixture from a track light rail on ceiling?
Is this safe?
Thought this may be a good idea if I don't have properly placed studs in ceiling and also gives me flexibility to adjust how far apart the hanging wires need to be.

herbklee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/29/2013, 07:56 PM   #330
seamcintyre
Registered Member

I just got mine, I cannot see how I am using the program incorrectly but the light just will not work. No matter how I change the settings nothing will turn on.

I'm dumb... operator error. Fantastic lights- best I've seen.

Last edited by seamcintyre; 10/29/2013 at 08:04 PM.
seamcintyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/29/2013, 08:01 PM   #331
flamron
Professional Stick Gluer

Make sure you check this in the program to make it work while programming:

60g cube - Ghost Overflow - ATI 8 bulb dimmable sunpower - Apex - MP10s - Synergy sump
flamron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/30/2013, 05:33 AM   #332
mark54321
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamcintyre View Post
I just got mine, I cannot see how I am using the program incorrectly but the light just will not work. No matter how I change the settings nothing will turn on.

I'm dumb... operator error. Fantastic lights- best I've seen.
After you change settings to your liking you need to save it in lamp. Then it will work.

mark54321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/30/2013, 10:13 AM   #333
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

New light should be here today. Super excited!

Current Tank Info: 50g Cadlights/Giesemann Spectra (250w Radium, 2 ATI Blue Plus, 2 ATI Actinic)/2 x Vortech MP10wQD/Skimz SN123/Eheim Compact 3000+
Unread 10/30/2013, 06:47 PM   #334
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

As I was walking out the door, UPS showed up.

Packed extremely well!

Size of the LED controller compared to the 24" fixture.

I will have more later when I get back home.

Unread 11/01/2013, 02:45 PM   #335
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

So I guess something is up between Tapatalk and the forum. None of my images link over properly.

Here are the images from the other day:

Packed extremely well!

Size of the LED controller compared to the 24" fixture.

Unread 11/01/2013, 03:28 PM   #336
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

My initial thoughts and impressions of the ATI LED Powermodule fixture.

Light fixture - 4x24w with 1 LED cluster
Bulb Combo - 2 Blue Plus, 1 Actinic and 1 Coral Plus

Looks - 9/10

I think the fixture is very good looking. It is quite as thin as sleek as the new LED fixtures but it never can be. There has to be room for the T5 ballasts, LED heatsink, fans and a number of cables. I feel that ATI did a great design job.

Construction - 10/10

Wow! This thing is a tank. It is heavy and very, very solid. The fit and finish is top notch. What else would you expect from ATI though? They've always been built well.

Light Output - 10/10

I am not talking about PAR here as I haven't measured mine but hope to in the future. Just the look and quality of light is what I am looking at.

I was very reserved on how the LEDs and T5s would mix. I hate, HATE the disco ball effect that LEDs produce. However, the T5s and LEDs mix beautifully and the crazy LED shimmer is subdued and the one cluster covers my entire tank (30x12). (I have the fixture 12" off the water surface for reference.) There is very little, if any at all, of the disco ball effect with all lights on. The light looks great and the corals seem to appreciate it so far after just 2 days.

(I won't be claiming anything for at least 6 weeks though in regards to coloration of corals.)

Ease of use - 5/10 at first then 9/10

Alright, hear me out really quick on this one. I give it a 5 at first because this isn't the type of light where you just install everything and go. Well, you have that option if you really want. There is a default program already installed that is good enough to get you going for a day or two if needed/wanted. I wouldn't recommend that route but it is certainly there.

When you install the light for the first time you need to install the T5 tubes, plug the fixture into the controller and then power it up. You then run it through a demo mode to make sure that everything is working properly. Once that is done you are free to move about the cabin...I mean customize everything how you would like. With this light though, you aren't a passenger along for the ride. You are the pilot of this plane! The customization is endless and the LEDs are just awesome to fine tune everything to your liking. Is the light too white? Lower the whites or up the blues. Too blue? Lower the blues. Too much PAR? (assuming you have a meter) Dim everything down.

The software is good enough and doesn't have a bunch of glitches. It isn't super advanced by any means but I like that. I want my light to work and do what I say. I don't need it follow the sun over the Great Barrier Reef or anything like that.

At the beginning, I was totally lost on what to do. There is no instruction manual and unfortunately my laptop is down right now. So I had to haul my controller to my desktop and just mess around without the fixture. I had no idea what was doing what but figured it all out after a few minutes and setup a program. I saved the program and hooked the controller back up. Lights turned on just like I planned. The color was a little white but that is easily adjusted on the controller.

Noise - 9.9/10

I can't believe how quiet this runs with 3 fans on it. Coming from my 6x24w ATI Sunpower, this thing is whisper quiet. There is obviously some noise but if the fans stayed on overnight I could easily sleep in the same room. I have to feel the air coming out to make sure the fans are on. That's how quiet it is.

I will continue running everything and plan to change the bulb combo next week. I will update as I go and get some pictures when I get a chance.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by rtparty; 11/01/2013 at 03:48 PM.
Unread 11/01/2013, 03:42 PM   #337
Wayner2
Registered Member

Nice write up - I thought the T5 ballasts were in the the power supply box or controller ? No?

Wayner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2013, 03:45 PM   #338
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayner2 View Post
Nice write up - I thought the T5 ballasts were in the the power supply box or controller ? No?
They are in the fixture to my knowledge. They need to be cooled as well and nothing would cool them in the control box.

Unread 11/01/2013, 03:52 PM   #339
jdraider75
Registered Member

So you can dim the t5 bulbs without shortening their life? Would their be any spectrum shift when dimming?

jdraider75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2013, 03:54 PM   #340
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdraider75 View Post
So you can dim the t5 bulbs without shortening their life? Would their be any spectrum shift when dimming?
Yes.

Ideally you want to burn new bulbs in for about 50 hours before dimming but Oliver from ATI has told me that dimming is no longer an issue. It was an issue back in the days but it was a ballast issue and that has been resolved.

I don't know if the spcetrum will change or not. I would say it might a little but not enough to worry about. My bulbs look the exact same color wise but not as bright when I dim them.

Unread 11/01/2013, 03:58 PM   #341
jdraider75
Registered Member

Cool thanks for taking the time to do your review on this. Great info.

Unread 11/01/2013, 04:18 PM   #342
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Quote:
Cool thanks for taking the time to do your review on this. Great info.
My biggest complaint is that with the 4 bulb unit, the front two bulbs are on one ballast and the back two are on their own. Not a huge deal but I'd much rather see this:

LED

Right now it is

LED

That is total nitpicking though because I use the LEDs for dusk/dawn now anyways.

Unread 11/01/2013, 04:43 PM   #343
Drae
RAIDER NATION!

Best looking light in person I have ever seen. I've never seen the mitras but I've seen just about all of the other led and t5 lights out and the ATI blows them all away by far.

Drae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2013, 07:18 PM   #344
jdraider75
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtparty View Post
My biggest complaint is that with the 4 bulb unit, the front two bulbs are on one ballast and the back two are on their own. Not a huge deal but I'd much rather see this:

LED

Right now it is

LED

That is total nitpicking though because I use the LEDs for dusk/dawn now anyways.
No I don't think its nitpickn it just makes better sense to spread lights out on ballasts so you can run a dusk dawn lighting and have it spread out. I wonder how an 8 bulb is wired if its wired like the sunpowers?

Unread 11/01/2013, 07:26 PM   #345
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Quote:
No I don't think its nitpickn it just makes better sense to spread lights out on ballasts so you can run a dusk dawn lighting and have it spread out. I wonder how an 8 bulb is wired if its wired like the sunpowers?
I believe someone said it is the inner 4 and outer 4.

LEDs

Rod? Mark?

Unread 11/01/2013, 07:28 PM   #346
roni
Premium Member

just got my light and slogging through the programming. wanted to confirm. the us 80W t5s are not dimmable, correct? on the program, you would just go 0-100 for the time on and off?

roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2013, 07:47 PM   #347
flamron
Professional Stick Gluer

Quote:

Agreed. This is the one slip ATI made on the four bulb. I'm going to rewire mine once it's out of the warranty period or sooner. Can't stand it.

I want the two outer bulbs on one channel and the two inner on the other. What's the point of dimming them if I am forced to dim essentially the same bulbs (running two aquablue plus and two blue plus). I'd like to dim the whites and/or blue T5s independently.

But overall it's a fabulous fixture. Just one slip up. And only on the 24" fixture.

60g cube - Ghost Overflow - ATI 8 bulb dimmable sunpower - Apex - MP10s - Synergy sump
flamron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2013, 09:16 PM   #348
roni
Premium Member

Quote:

LEDs

Rod? Mark?
that is correct. i ended up putting my blue+/purple+ combo on the outer 4 and my daylight bulbs on the inside. now i need to figure out a way to hang it. I assume it weighs the same as the old powermodule so I think i can just use the existing hooks for my pm...anyone know anything to the contrary?

roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2013, 09:22 PM   #349
mark54321
Registered Member

Quote:

LEDs

Rod? Mark?
Yes, it is exactly that way for the 8 bulb fixture.

mark54321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2013, 12:06 AM   #350
Saltwatercoral2
Registered Member

This light is awesome. I will be getting one after the holidays for my upcoming buidl, 36 x 24" x 18" tall. Leaning towards the 24" 4 bulb led/t5 fixture, what would you guys suggest for a bulb combo?

Saltwatercoral2 is offline   Reply With Quote