Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/09/2018, 12:10 PM   #1
ballenreef
Registered Member

Reefkeeper TM4 Module

Does anyone have experience with the Reefkeeper TM4 module that allows you to have up to four heaters in a single bus (or at least I think on a single bus)? There is no information out there that I was able to locate.

I have a 180 DT with two heaters and a 100g sump with one heater, but want to control them with my RKL. My JBJ controller just crappped out.

I only found the TM4 in BRS and Marine Depot. No review or vids

Unread 02/09/2018, 12:21 PM   #2
jamie1981
Registered Member

All the TM4 does is allow you to use 4 temp probes with the controller. For example if you have for separate tanks you could read the temp of each tank with one controller and control the heater in each tank separately assuming each heater is plugged into its own outlet on a PB4.

To clarify the TM4 does NOT power the heaters it is just a module that connects to the head unit via bus cable and will read up to 4 temp probes.

Why do you have heaters in your display and sump?

jamie1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2018, 12:32 PM   #3
ballenreef
Registered Member

I have them in both places for the situation in now when my one controller went out I had another heater going. At the moment I have 2 100g Rubbermaid’s but am in the process of setting the 180 up. But one heater went out and the temp dropped and held at 76*

I never thought about having all the heaters in the sump. But I don’t think I have enough flow to house all of them in there and keep the DT at a stable 78-80*. The sump is in a non temp controlled storage room in the basement so it gets “cold” in there in the winter.

Unread 02/09/2018, 03:59 PM   #4
jamie1981
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballenreef View Post
I have them in both places for the situation in now when my one controller went out I had another heater going. At the moment I have 2 100g Rubbermaid’s but am in the process of setting the 180 up. But one heater went out and the temp dropped and held at 76*

I never thought about having all the heaters in the sump. But I don’t think I have enough flow to house all of them in there and keep the DT at a stable 78-80*. The sump is in a non temp controlled storage room in the basement so it gets “cold” in there in the winter.
If you have the proper 3-4 times turnover per hour flow through your sump the display and the sump would be the same temp. Aquarium heaters aren't able to change the water temp that fast.

jamie1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2018, 11:50 PM   #5
DesertReefT4r
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie1981 View Post
All the TM4 does is allow you to use 4 temp probes with the controller. For example if you have for separate tanks you could read the temp of each tank with one controller and control the heater in each tank separately assuming each heater is plugged into its own outlet on a PB4.

To clarify the TM4 does NOT power the heaters it is just a module that connects to the head unit via bus cable and will read up to 4 temp probes.

Why do you have heaters in your display and sump?
This covers it. And yes why in the display and sump? All you need is heaters in the sump, hides them out n of sight too.

Tank history 29g tropical ,55g cichlid tank, 20H softy reef, 29g mixed reef, 20H brackish goby & puffer tank, 55g mixed reef, 6g Nanocube softy lps reef, 40B sps reef, 75g sps reef, 75g sps reef in bu

Current Tank Info: 75g sps reef build in the works.
DesertReefT4r is offline   Reply With Quote