Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/28/2007, 07:28 PM   #1
WaterbugJenn
Registered Member

No more buckets

K I was really tired of mixing salt and carrying buckets so here is what I did. Right now I have 2 saltwater tanks on opposite sides of my Family room, soon to be a third. My mixing bucket is in my boiler room. I did not have the option to hard plumb anything. I have a Mag3 pump for mixing, why not use it to push the water 20 ft to my tanks.

1 valve allows the water to be mixed and the other allows water to go out the fill hose.

The hose is 20 ft long to get to the tank that is furthest away. I did not want to turn the pump on and run for the end of the hose before water came shooting out. I needed some kind of switch like trigger to turn the pump on. But 110 vac at the end of a hose that might fall into a tank is bad. So of course I needed a relay to switch the High voltage pump with a low voltage switch. I used a 24 volt boiler circulator pump relay. The 24 volt power is supplied by a Taco boiler control box that had a 24 volt output line. The switch on the box allows me to either just mix the water or activate the switch on the end of the hose. The trigger button is a momentary on switch so if I drop the hose or let go water will stop being pumped.

I have used this twice now and I love it. Though I have not eliminated buckets for removing water from the tanks. That will be next, as I do not have access to a drain nearby.

ultimate gadget freak 72 bow in the works lots o diy <-- it's getting worse I must be out of my mind.

Current Tank Info: Shiny Dinero Vacuum
WaterbugJenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2007, 07:41 PM   #2
Matt Rise
Registered Member

Sweet setup. (PS...TACO=Cranston, RI)

Matt Rise is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2007, 07:51 PM   #3
Keelay
Registered Member

Nice dude.

Current Tank Info: 100G Custom Acrylic, 40 Gallon Sump, DIY Gravity Assisted Protien Skimmer, ATO, 2x175W MH + 1x96W VHO Actinic
Keelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2007, 07:52 PM   #4
WaterbugJenn
Registered Member

Thanks Matt, Taco is in RI cool I did not know that. Glad to hear I am supporting a New England company. LOL

ultimate gadget freak 72 bow in the works lots o diy <-- it's getting worse I must be out of my mind.

Unread 02/28/2007, 07:58 PM   #5
WaterbugJenn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Keelay
Nice dude.
Dudett,
I know the diy stuff throws everyone off on that 1.
Thanks though.

Unread 02/28/2007, 08:05 PM   #6
Matt Rise
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WaterbugJenn
Thanks Matt, Taco is in RI cool I did not know that. Glad to hear I am supporting a New England company. LOL
Yeah, they are local. I had a friend that worked there and he said everyone pronounces it like the Mexican food, but it's actually pronounced Tayco...I told him that was just plain dumb lol!
On topic, I am planning to do a similar setup for my mixing station, but the tank is only 3 feet away

Matt Rise is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2007, 08:26 PM   #7
WaterbugJenn
Registered Member

mmmmmmmmmm Taco. LOL
I have a friend who is a professional plumber and yea he schooled me on the whole Tayco, Taco thing.
Matt, good luck!!! on your mixing station. This has made things so much easyier for me. I still to build an ATO system like Michael moto's in his builld thread.

Unread 02/28/2007, 08:41 PM   #8
Rtankster
Registered Member

Nice, do you mind sharing the cost of some of the components?

Rtankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2007, 08:49 PM   #9
WaterbugJenn
Registered Member

Sure
I would say the total cost was maybe 20 to 30 dollars not including the pump and barrell. Most of the parts were just laying around from other projects so all I bought was the SPDT switch.
I am not sure of a cost but if you already have the trash barrel and the pump the rest is nothing. The only part you would have to look for is the relay. I had 1 but radio shack or HD may have something similar.

Unread 02/28/2007, 08:55 PM   #10
WaterbugJenn
Registered Member

OOPs
I guess the only major part was the taco box I did not buy this It was already connected to my boiler. If you did not have a 24 volt source, that would be the most expensive. I am sure you could do the same with a plug in 12v wall transformer and a 12v relay (Rad shack)

Unread 02/28/2007, 08:59 PM   #11
WaterbugJenn
Registered Member

Oh ------- I just remembered your house doorbell is a 24v circuit, so it is possible to get power there. If that helps anyone.

Unread 02/28/2007, 09:08 PM   #12
Jamesurq
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by WaterbugJenn
Oh ------- I just remembered your house doorbell is a 24v circuit, so it is possible to get power there. If that helps anyone.
Yeah, but when the Jahovas witnesses show up at your front door, it spills 38 gallons of water on the floor...

Jamesurq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2007, 09:09 PM   #13
aaronpentz
Registered Member

But that is a 24v AC circuit not a DC circuit.

Current Tank Info: 67 Long
aaronpentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2007, 09:33 PM   #14
WaterbugJenn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamesurq
Yeah, but when the Jahovas witnesses show up at your front door, it spills 38 gallons of water on the floor...
LOL
Quote:
So is the boiler/thermostat circuit that I used

Unread 02/28/2007, 09:33 PM   #15
BruiseAndy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aaronpentz
Long as your coils match voltage not a big deal .

BruiseAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2007, 10:21 PM   #16
Reefjunkee
Premium Member

Nice setup there thuink I`ll have to build me something like that.

Current Tank Info: 92 corner bow,160lb`s Figi,SPS,LPS and a few softies,EuroReef CS8-3 skimmer,MRC dual reactor,OM supersquirt on Iwaki MD30rlxt w/4 returns,2 Tunze 6055`s w/multicontroller,poseiden auto top off,aqualogic 1/3 chiller,blah,blah,blah,blah
Reefjunkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2007, 10:44 PM   #17
WaterbugJenn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by minireefer03
Nice setup there thuink I`ll have to build me something like that.
Thanks

Unread 03/01/2007, 12:12 AM   #18
psilo
Registered Member

looks awesome - very inspiring (uh oh! haha)

i'm going to try my luck with a remote controlled outlet.. though i wont get the benefit of the pump cutting off if i drop it.. ill just try to be careful. i too need a drain idea.. hmm

5g nano soon
psilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2007, 08:18 AM   #19
WaterbugJenn
Registered Member

lol
A remote controlled oulet, that sounds interesting. <-- like with a key fob. Cool idea but yea you may pump alot of water onto the floor if it cant be shut off quick.
Good Luck!!

Unread 03/01/2007, 09:19 AM   #20
labatt
Registered Member

I have a remote controlled outlet, very simple. I used a cieling fan remote and just wired the output to a plug and mounted the reciever and plug in a 3 gang box. I have a MJ 900 that I plug in to start a siphon from the display into the basement to a drain ( no acessable floor drain so I drain it into the pump off box on my furnace..had to restrict it a bit so it didnt overflow) When thats done I just push the fan-high button on the remote and here comes the water from the can in the furnace room that I keep ready by mixing w/a mj1200 (I dont heat till the day before to save power...those rubbermades arent insulated very well) All filled up a few mins later and fan off. I can do %20 on my 75 in like 10-15 mins and never leave the couch

Unread 03/01/2007, 09:21 AM   #21
labatt
Registered Member

BTW- the fan controller was only like $25 at HD

Unread 03/01/2007, 09:58 AM   #22
WaterbugJenn
Registered Member

Thanks for the idea Labatt,
Tho I dont know how I can use that for 2 seperate tanks on either side of the room. Without buying 2 pumps and 2 remotes. It is def something to consider when I add a 180gal to my reef system.

Unread 03/01/2007, 10:14 AM   #23
labatt
Registered Member

you could do it with 2 pumps and one remote, just use the light outlet for one and the fan outlet for the other. Just break the tabs on the plug so they are seperate. Would require a bit more plumbing though...........

Unread 03/01/2007, 10:18 AM   #24
lakee911
Registered Member

That's pretty slick. Now we CAN call you WaterbugJenn and not WaterBucketJenn!

Hey, why don't you explore using a three way solenoid valve or two in such a manner than you have two buttons, or a switch of some sort that you can use reverse the direction of your pump, or maybe use two pumps, so you can suck the water from the tank in the same hose and send it to the drain in the boiler room? To prime it, just press your pump button until enough water is in the hose to fill it, then switch to suction and pump it out?

This might actually be a good spot for a check valve. If you left that in the tank, accidentally, it would siphon your tank into your water change barrel....

Heater needed in your barrel?

Jason

lakee911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2007, 10:26 AM   #25
WaterbugJenn
Registered Member

Thats true, The plumbing would have to go up to the ceiling all the way across the room and down into a drain. Certainly can be done just a pain in the rump. Thanks for trying to help me out. I may end up doing something like that, I sort of like to be able to siphon any debris out from the tank and/or the sump. I would need a resevoir to catch the water then pump it to a drain. I will prob wait on that since I am planning on maybe moving my reef to a large in wall tank Between my kitchen and living room. When I do that it will be much easier to get to a drain.
Thanks again Labatt for the good idea, I am sure others might find it usefull as well.