Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/04/2016, 08:55 AM   #1
cleverbs
Registered Member

Thinking about an upgrade 30g cube -> 60g or 93g Cube

Just getting back into SW after taking a needed break from it. Set my 220g up as freshwater and I love it. But I miss having a reef. I have a 30g rimless "Cube" 24x24x12 and while I love the tank its so shallow having SPS will be difficult and I LOVE sps. So I feel that I have some choices to make and I am looking for some help deciding.

Option #1: Just dont do SPS and enjoy a low maintenance 30g tank with LPS/Zoas

Option #2: Start the tank and grow out some SPS and when they get to big for the tank upgrade then.

Option #3: Upgrade to a 60g Will be the same footprint just higher so I wouldnt need to change anything at all other then just putting the new tank on the stand and maybe a little bit of plumbing.

Option #4: Sometime this winter upgrade to a 93g Cube. The 93g is a tank I have thought about for a really long time and wanted badly. I just love the size/shape. I could build a new stand and get a new light. Skimmer, return, and everything else would work just fine in the 93g and I could probably sell my existing tank/light to pay for a ATI fixture.

Last edited by cleverbs; 10/04/2016 at 09:10 AM.
cleverbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2016, 09:07 AM   #2
vhuang168
Registered Member

Option #4. If it is feasible financially, you'll end up doing it anyway. Why setup up a tank now only to tear it down in a few months. Get what you want the 1st time out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

40g custom AIO --> DSA190Pro
vhuang168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2016, 09:14 AM   #3
cleverbs
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vhuang168 View Post
Option #4. If it is feasible financially, you'll end up doing it anyway. Why setup up a tank now only to tear it down in a few months. Get what you want the 1st time out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well the tank is already set up. I had it tied into my 220g before so I just changed a couple things and its running now. I got equipment that would be to large for it knowing I would probably upgrade some time. like my skimmer is rated for a 150G and my Return is probably 4x what I really need but I just dial it back. I also want to get some corals growing so even if I use this 30g as a "Frag" tank for now thats fine I just want to frags grown out before I upgrade. I might as well start with that now because it will be 6 months at least before I start an upgrade if i do so. Promised the wife I would pain the house so thats going to need to be done before I can start this and that will take a long time...

cleverbs is offline   Reply With Quote