Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/22/2015, 10:33 AM   #101
Bent
I got nothin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris@CoralVue View Post
Maxspect is a Chinese company.
I know, I was simply making a statement of principle.

[QUOTE=CStrickland]Who gets mad at a starfish?[/QUOTE]

Current Tank Info: 75g DT, 30G refugium, 10g chaeto tank, 50g stock tank basement sump
Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2015, 05:07 PM   #102
mikeatjac
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent View Post
I know, I was simply making a statement of principle.
Brent and Ron I don't think you have a clue on what it takes to run a business. To bring a new product to a niche market you have R&D, promotional cost, admin costs, manufacturing costs, regulations, warranties, pricing agreements and on and on. Maybe Ron they can't reduce their cost to $125.00. Brent the most efficient manufacturing is always going to get the job.

There is a marketing rule, be careful to intodruce a new product, the second guy will copy you and win.

When some says that LFS mark items up to high, that is the most stupid statement of all! Do you know what it cost to run a LFS or for that matter any retail store and make it work?

Capitalism is great, if not for it this web site would exist because most of us could not afford a reef tank. If you don't like it you do not have to buy a product. With capitalism we are not standing in line hoping we can buy basic needs.

If you disagree with pricing then you are free not to buy it.

mikeatjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2015, 05:15 PM   #103
seamonster124
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeatjac View Post

Do you know what it cost to run a LFS or for that matter any retail store and make it work?
That's all I know buddy. That's HOW I know. I own a business that owns retail stores. You make any purchase, a big chunk goes directly into my personal account. Capitalism rules baby

seamonster124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2015, 05:17 PM   #104
chris@CoralVue
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamonster124 View Post
That's all I know buddy. That's HOW I know. I own a business that owns retail stores. You make any purchase, a big chunk goes directly into my personal account. Capitalism rules baby
What stores?

chris@CoralVue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2015, 05:19 PM   #105
chris@CoralVue
Registered Member

Quote:
Brent and Ron I don't think you have a clue on what it takes to run a business. To bring a new product to a niche market you have R&D, promotional cost, admin costs, manufacturing costs, regulations, warranties, pricing agreements and on and on. Maybe Ron they can't reduce their cost to $125.00. Brent the most efficient manufacturing is always going to get the job.

There is a marketing rule, be careful to intodruce a new product, the second guy will copy you and win.

When some says that LFS mark items up to high, that is the most stupid statement of all! Do you know what it cost to run a LFS or for that matter any retail store and make it work?

Capitalism is great, if not for it this web site would exist because most of us could not afford a reef tank. If you don't like it you do not have to buy a product. With capitalism we are not standing in line hoping we can buy basic needs.

If you disagree with pricing then you are free not to buy it.
Thank you for the common sense!

Unread 11/22/2015, 05:21 PM   #106
mikeatjac
Registered Member

Quote:
I have consulted retail stores for 30 years and you would be the first.

Unread 11/22/2015, 05:22 PM   #107
slipknottin
Registered Member

Do we really need to get in a big argument over business ethics in every jebao thread?

slipknottin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2015, 05:23 PM   #108
chris@CoralVue
Registered Member

Quote:
I have been selling aquarium products to retail stores for 25 years. I would love the names of these stores.

Unread 11/22/2015, 05:33 PM   #109
mikeatjac
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
Do we really need to get in a big argument over business ethics in every jebao thread?
I am just clearing the air, some members have said things that make no sense and taken this tread off track.

Unread 11/22/2015, 05:41 PM   #110
seamonster124
Registered Member

I have no investments in fish stores. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

What I'm saying is when you buy anything from any store, A large percentage of the $ goes to a small percentage of the people involved. That is the definition of capitalism. I assume this rule does not apply to fish stores as they are just bad business. American banks stopped giving out loans to fund pet stores decades ago.

Jebao is doing what Ryobi did roughly 16 years ago. They copied Dewalt so good that Dewalt retailers began making more money from Ryobi than they did from Dewalt. Consumers saved, jobs were created, everyone was happy. To this day Dewalt fanboys are screaming foul.

seamonster124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2015, 05:53 PM   #111
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

News flash to everyone, the Chinese don't think twice about stealing products no matter what they are from companies all over the world. Tough to talk about ethics and Chinese in the same sentence. So when is this gyre of theirs suppose to come out?

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2015, 06:16 PM   #112
BoDiddley
Registered Member

I hope these turn out to be decent I will be standing by for reviews

BoDiddley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2015, 06:25 PM   #113
rgulrich
greybeard

Quote:
I have no investments in fish stores. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

What I'm saying is when you buy anything from any store, A large percentage of the $ goes to a small percentage of the people involved. That is the definition of capitalism. I assume this rule does not apply to fish stores as they are just bad business. American banks stopped giving out loans to fund pet stores decades ago.

Jebao is doing what Ryobi did roughly 16 years ago. They copied Dewalt so good that Dewalt retailers began making more money from Ryobi than they did from Dewalt. Consumers saved, jobs were created, everyone was happy. To this day Dewalt fanboys are screaming foul.
I hate to get in the middle of Dewault and Ryobi arguments, that's why I always use a portable Milwaukee with my home-made gyre water-mover:

And it does kick up a storm, too. Just gotta be careful near the fish...

Current Tank Info: 360 degree walk around 300 DD island–4 300W & 2 165W ViparSpectra, 4 Kessil A350W, 2 A360WE, 3 XF150, 1 XF250, 1 XF350 Gyre along with 2 PP40 and 2 IceCap 3K gyre for robust current. Basement 150 gallon RubberMaid sump, SKIMZ skimmer, DCP18000
rgulrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2015, 06:43 PM   #114
seamonster124
Registered Member

Can't see photo

Unread 11/22/2015, 06:45 PM   #115
seamonster124
Registered Member

Jebao gyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmorty217 View Post
News flash to everyone, the Chinese don't think twice about stealing products no matter what they are from companies all over the world. Tough to talk about ethics and Chinese in the same sentence. So when is this gyre of theirs suppose to come out?

Don't talk about ethics while insulting Chinese people pls. Humans come in different colors

Newsflash:? 100% of us are typing on Chinese computers

Unread 11/22/2015, 06:53 PM   #116
Bent
I got nothin'

Quote:
Brent and Ron I don't think you have a clue on what it takes to run a business.
LOL

If you say so Donald T.

Current Tank Info: 75g DT, 30G refugium, 10g chaeto tank, 50g stock tank basement sump
Unread 11/22/2015, 06:55 PM   #117
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

No one is insulting anyone. They take intellectual property that isn't theirs all the time. These are facts. Yes you are right my IPhone was made by someone who is locked inside of FoxConn and forced to work 20 hrs a day.

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2015, 07:35 PM   #118
chercm
Registered Member

cannot wait this one

chercm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2015, 07:47 PM   #119
Adamc1303
Registered Member

Subscribed

Unread 11/23/2015, 08:04 AM   #120
njreefguy
Moved On

Quote:
Maxspect is a Chinese company.
Is this how you explain the lack of quality going into the gyre.

njreefguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2015, 08:05 AM   #121
chris@CoralVue
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njreefguy View Post
Is this how you explain the lack of quality going into the gyre.
Are you having trouble with your Gyre?

Unread 11/23/2015, 08:30 AM   #122
njreefguy
Moved On

Quote:
Are you having trouble with your Gyre?
Can't say I even bought one. I like to invest in products that have a track record for longevity. And I tend to stay away from products that are rushed to market especially after seeing the lack of quality put into the build of said item.
When I invest my $300 I like to know that the powerhead I bought will still be going strong after 6 years and not get thrashed by a stray dwarf cerith, or have the wires falling apart under water.

You have a great company there with many great products across many different lines. But IMO Maxspect dropped that ball on this one.

njreefguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2015, 08:35 AM   #123
chris@CoralVue
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njreefguy View Post
Can't say I even bought one. I like to invest in products that have a track record for longevity. And I tend to stay away from products that are rushed to market especially after seeing the lack of quality put into the build of said item.
When I invest my $300 I like to know that the powerhead I bought will still be going strong after 6 years and not get thrashed by a stray dwarf cerith, or have the wires falling apart under water.

You have a great company there with many great products across many different lines. But IMO Maxspect dropped that ball on this one.
All of the small glitches with the Gyre have been corrected.

Unread 11/23/2015, 08:52 AM   #124
Bent
I got nothin'

Can we get back on topic here before the thread gets closed?

Anyone have more info to offer?

Unread 11/23/2015, 04:18 PM   #125
greaps
Registered Member

Build a wall between USA and China.