Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Arizona-Sierra Vista/Tucson Reef Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/07/2015, 01:14 PM   #226
hydrophobic
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danfeig View Post
Welcome, Connor! Let us know if you have any questions or if any of us can help you in any way!
Thanks! I'm sure I will have many questions along this journey an having local contacts and resources is cool.
Here is a pic of my tank. Now I'm just waiting on the cycle.

hydrophobic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2016, 12:37 PM   #227
IshFish
Registered Member

Hi all, I and my husband (fellow reefer) are thinking of moving to Tucson. We're currently in Michigan (Go Blue!) and the relocation would be to work at U Arizona (myself). My husband is a brewer/cellerman for a microbrewery so would need to find another position out there. Could someone give us some info from the reef aquarium prospective? Shops, clubs, water, electric bill, etc.? What is the selection like for livestock and equipment out there? Do you mostly online shop or support a local business? We currently have 180 gal reef and a 28 gal reef (cube). I'm thinking we'd need to start from scratch when we get a house out there and I'd want something along the lines of 300+ gal. Do you have a vendor that specializes in that kind of build that you trust?

Any helpful comments are appreciated. Thanks!
June

IshFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2016, 09:28 AM   #228
AZRippster
Diver & Reef Aquarium Nut

Hello June,

Here is an early, “Welcome”, to Tucson. My wife and I don’t actually live in Tucson, we’re about an hour SE from Tucson, but go often and always stop-off to Fishy Bizness (LFS). If you like cold weather, you should probably stay in Michigan . On the flip side, if you like warm to hot weather, you’re headed to the right place. Not Phoenix hot, but about 8 degrees on average cooler. I lived there for 17 years. There has been clubs off and on with varying levels of activity. This has also been the case with the local fish stores. I started in the hobby during the ‘80s and there were probably 5 stores at that time, now there is really only 1, but that may change. Fortunately, the 1 we have is good. There are also a couple of Facebook pages setup for Tucson members that are going strong. People sell, trade, and auction coral and fish regularly. There are also frag swaps that occur hosted by Fishy Bizness or private individuals announced on the Facebook pages. I’m not on Facebook, but my wife is, and regularly keeps me apprised of what’s happening. If you are looking at having someone install a tank for you, a 300+ gallon is no problem. Contact Mike at Fishy, they’ve done far larger and several Tucson hobbyists have big tanks.

Once again, welcome!

AZRippster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2016, 01:06 PM   #229
IshFish
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply!

We totally prefer warm/hot weather! We're SO tired of shoveling snow and dealing with ice. I'm originally from NY, so there was so real weather change for me when I moved to Michigan about 11 years ago. My folks retired to Florida and we go 2x a year and love the weather there --humid compared to AZ, I'm sure, but no real paying job prospects in FL. The faculty member that is trying to recruit me is there right now (trying to sway one of my colleagues to pick up her family and move, too!). He knows we want the warmer weather and to ditch the cold. The colleague is there right now and was texting me photos of the campus yesterday -- looks nice and warm!

I'll be sure to check out Fishy on Facebook; thanks for the info. We have a few large swaps (this year they are calling it an expo since it's gotten so big) and some clubs. We're not too active in the clubs anymore, but do like it when they host events that we can attend.

More than likely we'll need to bring some of our choice livestock with us since I'm too attached to them the more I think about it, so I may have to leave some with a trusted hobbyist here and then transport once we get things up and running out there.

I've heard that the water bills out there are expensive..? To compare, we pay about $100 a quarter. Electric we pay $165/month (budget plan). We run LEDs on both set ups.

Thanks again for all the info! It's going to be a big decision to pack up the family and move and we want to make the best choice for all.

IshFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2016, 01:44 PM   #230
AZRippster

The UofA is a nice campus and today it’s supposed to get to 84, but we’re having a bit of freaky weather. It’s even supposed to get to 82 where we are and that’s big time warm for this time of year. We’re at almost 5K feet elevation. Normally Sierra Vista is about 8 degrees cooler than Tucson.

We don’t have any frag swaps close to expo size, but they have been good and definitely enjoyable furthering camaraderie in the hobby.

I’m unsure about the water bills in Tucson since I haven’t lived there since 2005. In Sierra Vista we are all on city or county well water. Tucson receives a significant amount of water via the Colorado River that replenishes its water sources, as does Phoenix. As far as electric, I think that depends greatly on the size system you have, lighting a so on. I can tell you I “wish” ours was $165.

If you do decide to move our way, I’ll pass your RC name onto the individual that runs one of the Facebook pages for local reefers so he can pass you along an invite.

Good luck to you and your family

Unread 06/09/2016, 01:58 PM   #231
drsalomon
Registered Member

Hello from the east

Hi,
I wanted to reach out to tucson area reefers. I currently live in providence RI and am active in my reef club OSRAS where I serve as VP. I am contemplating a move to Tucson and would be employed at UA if I come. I have an extensive collection of LPS and SPS corals and I would have to figure out some way to get these moved out to Arizona by fedex. Are you guys aware of any LFS or hobbyists that may be able to help in this relocation. Basically I would need someone to help receive corals and get them settled into systems I would setup ahead of time. I would have time to setup and cycle reef frag tanks in Tucson prior to shipping anything out.

Unread 06/23/2016, 03:51 PM   #232
bfoleyiii
Registered Member

The family is starting up a 125g after taking a few years off from the hobby. We had a 90g set up in San Antonio before we moved and sold most all of it off before we moved back to Tucson. I was wondering if there was a local club? If so do they hold meetings/frag swaps or is that something we would have to make the trip up to Phoenix for? How about supplies? Are most of you using a LFS or having to go online? We live out in Corona De Tucson so everything is a bit of a trip to get to but not that big a deal. We did check out Fishy Bizness and some nice folks there just wondering if there are any other places we should check out?
I am getting ready to design and build the sump out of an old 55g, is there a local glass place that will cut and polish the panels for me. I grabbed some scrap acrylic for my scrubber at PortPlastics and could probably go back there and use acrylic if that would be better.

Thanks for any info you might have

Current Tank Info: 125 in the making
bfoleyiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2017, 05:43 AM   #233
aikenreefkeeper
Registered Member

Hi all, my name is Dean. We relocated to Tucson two years ago. I had a 55 gallon reef set up until the economy tanked and I have been chasing jobs since. I have gotten a position that seems pretty stable so I am getting another tank set up. I purchased a used 125 tall tank. I wanted to post a picture, but couldn't. Can someone assist? I keep all my pictures stored on my pc.

aikenreefkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2017, 07:59 AM   #234
nathanemmerich
Registered Member

Welcome Dean! I havent posted any pictures but in awhile but I use photobucket in the past. Now I just don't post pictures because it's too annoying. Good luck with the new tank. Let us know if you need help.

nathanemmerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2017, 07:52 AM   #235
CReyes350
Registered Member

^^ And that’s the main reason the majority of us went to Facebook... You have to sign a third party agreement and promise your first born to them before you can post a picture.

Unread 10/23/2017, 08:57 AM   #236
nathanemmerich
Registered Member

I wish I could join the Facebook group. Requested months ago and still no response.

Unread 10/31/2017, 02:00 AM   #237
Hodad2
Registered Member

Hi everyone, my name is Paul. I live in the Tucson area with my wife Becky. We have both enjoyed the hobby for about 15 years now. We have upgraded tanks a couple times now. Currently a 140gal with 40g sump, mixed Reef. Apex, AI LEDs, Ecotech mp40s. The tank has been LPS and SPS, with just a few fish to clean. Now added more livestock, fish and crustaceans. Currently experimenting with raising clown fry, with involves culturing the rotifers which I’ve been growing before my clowns spawn. Hoping to see some cleaner shrimp eggs soon too. Very interested in aquaculting for us normal hobbyists. I try to raise money to support my Reef habit by selling rotifers and copepods. I also have been trying to put together my own reef monitoring system using reef-Pi which is open source software for the Raspberry Pi. Very nerdy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hodad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2017, 06:11 AM   #238
aikenreefkeeper
Registered Member

Hi Paul,

I have a QT tank set up and running in anticipation of having my display tank ready soon. I have been using the water from the water machine at Walmart. Are you using DI for you tanks? If so, do you have your own unit or do you get it from some other source.

Thanks,

Dean

Unread 10/31/2017, 08:44 AM   #239
AZRippster

I would highly recommend using RO/DI when making your saltwater, especially with Tucson's CAP water. There are several setups on ebay that are much less expensive than going through the big names. They are exactly the same other than the cartridges and resin. Expend the ones that come with the setup and then replace with higher quality from sources like Spectra Pure and many others online. The housings are essentially all the same. As an example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Stage-Aqu...19.m1438.l2649

Unread 11/05/2017, 04:27 PM   #240
Hodad2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikenreefkeeper View Post
Hi Paul,

I have a QT tank set up and running in anticipation of having my display tank ready soon. I have been using the water from the water machine at Walmart. Are you using DI for you tanks? If so, do you have your own unit or do you get it from some other source.

Thanks,

Dean

Well when I upgraded from my 75gal to my big 140g+40sump I just had to make every as easy as possible. That way you spend more time enjoying your Tank than spending it driving back and forth from LFS for Water. An RO/DI unit pays for itself. NO QUESTION...buy a unit. You won’t be sorry. Is this your first rank?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hodad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2017, 05:22 AM   #241
aikenreefkeeper
Registered Member

I lived in Texas and I had a 50 gallon reef set up at the end of 2008. It was a mixed reef containing LPS and Softies. When the economy tanked, the company I worked for closed the plant and I had to break it down and chased jobs for seven years until I got the position I have now. I purchased Ro/Di water from a fellow reefer. I got good quality water at a good price and it helped him pay for his unit. Where do you purchase your fish and corals and what kind of experiences have you had?

Unread 11/26/2017, 11:40 PM   #242
nathanemmerich
Registered Member

Fishy business is the best local fish store. It's a 35min drive for me but well worth it.

Unread 11/26/2017, 11:42 PM   #243
nathanemmerich
Registered Member

Oh I bought four fish from them, very healthy. Lots of coral frags. All healthy.

Unread 01/22/2018, 05:58 AM   #244
aikenreefkeeper
Registered Member

I finally have my 120 set up. It is in the garage with tap water. Just to work on and make sure everything works correctly. I have been going to Fishy business and getting my Di Water and looking at their livestock. I am also cooking my live rock as well. I hope to have it in the house in a month or so........can't wait to get it moved.

On a second note, when I click on the thumbnails, the window opens up and I get the spinning icon, but it never brings up the picture......it just keeps spinning. I am sure it is a setting on my account or my pc. Any ideas? I am trying to decide how to post pictures.

Thanks,

Unread 01/24/2018, 11:37 PM   #245
nathanemmerich
Registered Member

I have to click on the spinning thing to view the picture in a new window

Unread 01/25/2018, 06:24 AM   #246
aikenreefkeeper
Registered Member

Ok, thanks. I will try that.

Unread 01/27/2018, 06:40 AM   #247
aikenreefkeeper
Registered Member

Clicking on the spinning icon worked.......thanks

Unread 02/02/2018, 10:30 PM   #248
David520
Registered Member

Sorry not on here much but run the local Tucson facebook page. If you requested send me a Pm and I will add you, we screen profiles and if its blocked and a new account we usually don't add to keep scams or spams out of the group.sry for any inconvenience! David Pohl

David520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2018, 05:44 AM   #249
aikenreefkeeper
Registered Member

Hi all,

My wife and I just got back from a vacation in Hawaii. On the last leg of our trip, we stayed at the Fairmont on Maui. We loved it. The hotel and service was excellent. I took my first scuba dive lesson right at the hotel. As part of the lesson, we went diving right at the hotel and there was a lot of reef to explore.

My observation tank is doing well. Not so good on my display tank. I lost all of my fish due to flukes and other pests from fish that I purchased from a LFS. It is setting fallow now. I hope to start putting livestock back in it soon.

Here is a picture of my observation with the lone survivor.

Thanks,

Dean

Unread 01/11/2019, 06:09 PM   #250
xoleras
Registered Member

Name is Dimitri
I live in Tucson, Rita ranch
I left the hobby 25 years ago, came back about a year ago.
here is a couple of my tanks.
Redsea 750XXL
JBJ 45

https://imgur.com/In6TPPU

https://imgur.com/hajaPyK

xoleras is offline   Reply With Quote