Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/04/2014, 07:38 PM   #1
fifthtoe
Registered Member

Cobalt neotherm heater just blew up!!!

I just had a cobalt neotherm heater blow up in my sump!!! I heard a loud noise, and thought it was my dogs. I walked out into the living room where the tank is and my dogs were smelling that area. I got closer and smelled smoke. Then I could see smoke!!! A lot of it! I opened up the cabinet to the sump and smoke come billowing out! I looked at one of my heaters and saw that it had exploded under water! Fortunately, I just got home from work or this could have been worse. I also just have two shrimp, a crab, and one chromis. They should be okay... I hope. My gfci didn't even trip though.

fifthtoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2014, 07:39 PM   #2
Fishmommy
Registered Member

whoa! what the heck?! I hope that never happens to me.

Fishmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2014, 07:42 PM   #3
fifthtoe
Registered Member

Heater couldn't have been in use more than 3 months.

Unread 02/04/2014, 09:01 PM   #4
Tzwizzle
Registered Member

Whoa that's crazy. Did you have it completely submerged? How do you have it positioned?

Tzwizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2014, 09:08 PM   #5
fifthtoe
Registered Member

It was completely submerged vertically. It was in the refugium part of sump with consistent water level.

Unread 02/04/2014, 09:17 PM   #6
fifthtoe
Registered Member

I'm still trying to clean up the mess! It released all this melted plastic greasy goo into the water. It's not sticky to the glass, but it will to paper towels and my skin. It doesn't was off either. I have carbon running now but I can't do a water change until later tomorrow. I had two 200 watt heaters for about 75g of water. Right now, I'm running on one neotherm but I'm paranoid now. I have two dogs and I can't imagine if this happened with me not home. I'm gonna be looking for a new heater that won't crack, melt, explode, etc.

Looking at the amp readings on my apex, there was nothing unusual today. Although, starting last week, the amp fluctuation changed a little. Since I started the system about 3 months ago, it always fluctuated about 1.5-5 amps. Last week it started fluctuating about 2-4 amps. I thought it was odd and checked the heaters yesterday to see if they were functioning.

Unread 02/05/2014, 12:25 AM   #7
Maximus
Registered Member

Uh oh, this isn't good. Hopefully your tank will be ok and good idea on running carbon ASAP. I also run a pair of Neotherms and this is the first time I've heard of anything like this.

Current Tank Info: 36x36x16 A.G.E. tank. Lighting: ATI Straton. Circulation: 2x Vortech MP40wQd's. Skimmer: Red Sea 300. Controller: Neptune Apex. Doser: Neptune Dos.
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2014, 08:43 AM   #8
Tzwizzle
Registered Member

I've never taken one of these heaters apart but I feel like it may help to not fully submerge them. This is all speculation but if the cord goes in the top there's got to be a gasket there to prevent water from getting in. Over time the gaskets may be susceptible to wearing out with salt water. Especially if theres regular movement on the cord. You could have had a faulty gasket and water was slowly leaking inside and you were boiling water inside the heater. You could call the manufacturer and find out more. I like all my submersible heaters cords just a smidge above water level.

Tzwizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2014, 09:45 AM   #9
Squidward5
Registered Member

Have any Pics?.....

Squidward5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2014, 10:42 AM   #10
FlyPenFly
SPS Killer

It smoked out of the water?

FlyPenFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2014, 11:39 AM   #11
fifthtoe
Registered Member

I'll try to post a pic later

Unread 02/05/2014, 11:40 AM   #12
fifthtoe
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyPenFly View Post
It smoked out of the water?
Yes! The smoke was bubbling out of the water. It was crazy!

Unread 02/05/2014, 12:34 PM   #13
d2mini
Registered Member

This sucks.

Mine is in the filter compartment of my nano and i keep the top of it above water. From the very top of the dial on up.

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Photos taken with a Nikon D750 or Leica M.
d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2014, 02:32 PM   #14
FlyPenFly
SPS Killer

Literally the first report I've heard of it failing but thanks for posting. I guess there's no such thing as a perfect heater.

FlyPenFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2014, 03:57 PM   #15
Reefer82
Registered Member

First I've heard as well. I have neo therms on all 3 tanks in my house. I'll take my chances still. I've had every other brand fail as well and destroy lots of life in the process. That stinks to hear about the cleanup. I wonder what's in there that causes that.

Reefer82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2014, 07:41 PM   #16
fifthtoe
Registered Member

Here's a pic of the heater. All that stuff oozing out smells really bad and is impossible to remove from your skin. Along with smoke, that junk exploded all into the water getting everywhere.

Unread 02/05/2014, 07:44 PM   #17
fifthtoe
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefer82 View Post
First I've heard as well. I have neo therms on all 3 tanks in my house. I'll take my chances still. I've had every other brand fail as well and destroy lots of life in the process. That stinks to hear about the cleanup. I wonder what's in there that causes that.
I'm guessing that stuff is from the plastic melting.

Unread 02/05/2014, 07:49 PM   #18
chadfarmer
Premium Member

Another plastic heater?

Current Tank Info: 200 Gal RR,ATB medium, 4 AI blue sol,230 LBS LIVE ROCK, no sand , 40 GAL sump, airstar1800, 3 tunze 6105 1- 6205 1-6305, Geo 818, profilux3ex with toys
chadfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2014, 07:55 PM   #19
Maximus
Registered Member

Hopefully Cobalt Aquatics can tell you what that is. Have you called them yet? I would call them asap and ask them what happened. If you could post the results, that would be great.

Current Tank Info: 36x36x16 A.G.E. tank. Lighting: ATI Straton. Circulation: 2x Vortech MP40wQd's. Skimmer: Red Sea 300. Controller: Neptune Apex. Doser: Neptune Dos.
Unread 02/05/2014, 07:56 PM   #20
Maximus
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthtoe View Post
I'm guessing that stuff is from the plastic melting.
That's what it looks like. Is it brittle and hard now? I bet it is the actual plastic that was melting.

Unread 02/05/2014, 08:17 PM   #21
fifthtoe
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
That's what it looks like. Is it brittle and hard now? I bet it is the actual plastic that was melting.
No, it's not brittle or hard, it's a very sticky charred greasy like substance. Like a residual from the melted plastic.

Edit: actually, it's a mixture of both brittle platstic and sticky goo.

Last edited by fifthtoe; 02/05/2014 at 09:01 PM.
Unread 02/05/2014, 08:19 PM   #22
fifthtoe
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Hopefully Cobalt Aquatics can tell you what that is. Have you called them yet? I would call them asap and ask them what happened. If you could post the results, that would be great.
I called them today and told them what happened. They said they would get back with me. We will see how soon they do.

Unread 02/05/2014, 08:50 PM   #23
Squidward5
Registered Member

Wow, I would also send them that pic, please keep us updated on there response. I am now a little concerned as I have the exact same ones. They claimed they were practicaly bullet proof.

Squidward5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2014, 08:50 PM   #24
Jone
Registered Member

Apperantly they did not learn from the Marineland Stealth heater problems..A Nation wide call back on all of them..Alot of unhappy people out there because of that Stealth heater..Seems the hplastic heaters will get a little water/condensation inside of them then the heater will get hot and build pressure and the problems start like you have here....possibly the DT/Glass sump tank might get damaged in the process

Jone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2014, 08:58 PM   #25
fifthtoe
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jone View Post
....possibly the DT/Glass sump tank might get damaged in the process
Yeah, I was worried about that too. I checked the side of the sump and didn't see anything. Hopefully it didn't weaken the glass.