Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 11/09/2006, 03:00 AM   #851
Rod the Roofer
Registered Member

Here's a couple of updated tank pics, with my new camera;

Left :

Center :

Right :

Full tank :

Rod.

Unread 11/09/2006, 05:59 AM   #852
dougie
Registered Member

Stunning.

Current Tank Info: 210 gal, 7x2x2, LED, mp60's. mixed reef.
Unread 11/09/2006, 07:02 AM   #853
WDLV
Skunk Hybrid Freak

Looks great Rod.

"The tanks go or I go."
- Ex Wife
Unread 11/09/2006, 11:25 AM   #854
Airman
Registered Member

Your tank is solid! How are your solatubes working?

Current Tank Info: 55 Gal, DSB, protein skimmer, UV light, Sump/Refugium
Unread 11/09/2006, 06:21 PM   #855
Lordhelmet
Registered Member

I love your tank.

I also was wondering how much one of those solor trackers would run.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon, 14 gallon
Unread 11/10/2006, 06:37 PM   #856
Rod the Roofer
Registered Member

Thanks everyone for your encouraging comments.

My corals have responded to the natural light and after a bit of acclimating have started coloring up and growing as I've never seen them grow!

Some of them bleached a little until they re-acclimated, but seem ok now. The Catalaphyllia spat it but is doing well now.

The light is intense from about 11am to 3pm. Not long enough photo period IMO to reduce the Mh's yet, probably will during summer.

How have tanks with natural light gone over summer in your hemisphere?? As my skylight has only been operational for a short period, and not a summer I would be interested.

Rod.

Unread 11/12/2006, 02:56 PM   #857
JMBoehling
Premium Member

Question for all you using skylights:

Would there be an advantage and or disadvantage to removing the factory made dome that has a UV inhibitor and replacing it with a piece of clear acrylic sheet? I understand the dome "Captures the Sun Rays" that would normally wouldn't be channeled down the tube of the skylight if simply flat...

Any thoughts?

I am considering doing a little science project on my reef. I have (02) tubes on mine, so I am thinking about removing the dome on one an measuring growth and color of similiar species over a 6 month time frame to see if the dome promotes growth or restricts it. What material should I use on my skylight that will not inhibit the UV rays of the sun and will still maintain the structural integrity of the dome against snow, heavy wind and hail?

Thanks,

Jim

Current Tank Info: 90 Gallon AGA, Bare Bottom, (02) 10" Skylights, 216 Watts T5HO, (04) 4 watt cree LED's, Deltec AP600 Skimmer
Unread 11/12/2006, 03:43 PM   #858
Rod the Roofer
Registered Member

Hi Jim,

From what I have read and understand; with the dome you will get more light channelled down your tubes earlier and later in the day. With a flat top (as I have) you will get less light early and late, but more intense light (than a dome) during the middle of the day.

I am getting very intense light between 11am and 3pm at the moment.

I have used laminated glass, primarily because I live in a high bush fire area and the plastic domes would melt in a fire. I have been told that glass inhibits the damaging UV, whilst allowing the beneficial UV rays to pass.

Something that I have been watching with interest in the news here lately is that they are saying the coral on the Great Barrier Reef are bleaching and dying from the suns harmful rays. (due to climate change) They are talking about putting shade cloth over the reef!!

Have you been able to switch off your artificial lights at any time during the day through summer?

Rod.

Unread 11/12/2006, 11:46 PM   #859
hahnmeister
Moved On

you know, I dont think one of those light trackers would be worth it... a normal skylight should have a long enough, and intense enough output for any reef.

Unread 11/13/2006, 11:48 PM   #860
Lordhelmet
Registered Member

i think for a deep tank grater then 5 feet those tracker would be worth it if they really have an output equal to 1000watts of MH. if not i bet the cost is not worth it and solatubes would be the answer.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon, 14 gallon
Unread 11/20/2006, 10:48 PM   #861
brent waldron
Registered Member

I was wondering about the UV filters in the solatubes. Someone mentioned earlier about removing these, but didn't give any details or instructions. Is the filter in the bottom of the sola tube or up in the dome. Any insight would be apprec.

Unread 11/20/2006, 10:48 PM   #862
brent waldron
Registered Member

I was wondering about the UV filters in the solatubes. Someone mentioned earlier about removing these, but didn't give any details or instructions. Is the filter in the bottom of the sola tube or up in the dome. Any insight would be apprec.

Unread 11/20/2006, 10:49 PM   #863
brent waldron
Registered Member

sorry about the double post!!

Unread 11/22/2006, 01:41 AM   #864
wmfsoll2
Premium Member

Great Idea!

Bill.

Thomas Edison : "SUCCESS is 90% ATTITUDE and 10% KNOWLEDGE"

Current Tank Info: Setting up new 90 Gal.
Unread 11/22/2006, 01:49 AM   #865
brent waldron
Registered Member

Jim, keep me posted on your thoughts..just ordered 3 solatubes (14") for a 475 gallon viewable from all sides. was also wondering about the dome and uv filter. will be installing in three weeks..........

Unread 11/22/2006, 05:26 AM   #866
Reefski's
Registered Member

i need up to about 300 sq ft of the polished aluminum the reflectors are made from to line my skylight shaft. where can i get it in 4x8 sheets?

Unread 11/22/2006, 05:59 AM   #867
JMBoehling
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by brent waldron
Jim, keep me posted on your thoughts..just ordered 3 solatubes (14") for a 475 gallon viewable from all sides. was also wondering about the dome and uv filter. will be installing in three weeks..........
Brent,

I removed my "Gordan Brand" domes last week and replaced with Non-UV inhibiting plexiglass. I will keep you updated on how things go. So far, no immediate negative effects on my SPS and softies.. My anemone, hammers and frogspawn look incredibly good when the sun rises in the day, so I may be on to something...

Hope you enjoy your Tubes!

Later,

Jim

Unread 11/22/2006, 07:41 AM   #868
brent waldron
Registered Member

thanks Jim..... how about the ends of your tubes ( I think there is a filter there also???) I remember some removing this and leaving the ends of the tubes open ( I can't remember if that was you or not) also, where did you get your plexiglass ( home depot???) did you go from dome shaped tp flat????????? thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unread 11/22/2006, 09:32 AM   #869
wazbot
Premium Member

Its been a while since I posted, but there are some photo's of my solatube tanks at www.ozreef.org in the gallery under Warren's Tank.

I have had to install 4 x 150W metal halides to get me through the winter months, but other wise everything is going really well.

Solatubes Rock!

Cheers

Current Tank Info: 2500L Reef
Unread 11/22/2006, 10:27 AM   #870
JMBoehling
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by brent waldron
thanks Jim..... how about the ends of your tubes ( I think there is a filter there also???) I remember some removing this and leaving the ends of the tubes open ( I can't remember if that was you or not) also, where did you get your plexiglass ( home depot???) did you go from dome shaped tp flat????????? thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I left the bottoms open..No light diverter.. one thing I did notice when I changed out my domes for the flat plexiglass is how dirty the reflective tunnel has gotten. I imagine the constant warm condensation coupled with dust, etc coats these things pretty quick. You may want to put a clear glass or acrylic cover over yours just to keep the dirt from entering, etc...

Unread 11/22/2006, 11:14 AM   #871
brent waldron
Registered Member

thanks jim. I appreciate your time and feedback, and keep us informed.

Unread 11/22/2006, 06:07 PM   #872
H20ENG
Pro builder/aquarist hack

carloskoi,
Talk to a sheet metal shop local to you and ask for 95% reflective aluminum. Alanod is one brand that I know of.

Unread 12/01/2006, 12:46 AM   #873
Rod the Roofer
Registered Member

OK, well I've done it!

Today's the first day of summer here and I've turned off my Mh's!

Well, not entirely. I've re-scheduled them to come on at 4pm and 4.30pm respectively.

Today is quite an overcast day, so probably not a good indication of how the tank will look, but let's face it they have dull days on the reef too.

Now I'll sit back and count the savings in electricity and on those hot days not worry so much about heat from lights.

Rod.

Unread 12/03/2006, 07:07 AM   #874
staticx
Moved On

Funny thread the guy that started it works for solar tube hes a sales rep. Nice way to market your product though.

Unread 12/03/2006, 07:07 AM   #875
staticx
Moved On

Funny thread the guy that started it works for solar tube hes a sales rep. Nice way to market your product though.

Closed Thread