Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/02/2013, 11:33 PM   #1
MarineGirl411
Registered Member

DIY Ceramic reef rock?

Does anyone have a recipe, for diy ceramic reef rock? I know there is a pretty slim chance. I've tried to find something like this all night and can't. I am interested in doing a ceramic wall like this one in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzvokrLBNQw. I would only want it on part of my overflow and on some of the back wall and side walls of my tank. I have done diy live rock before, but I can't "build up" enough cement to make it like this. Just curious. Thank you.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon reef, Cardiff Nano Seahorse tank.
MarineGirl411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2013, 02:54 PM   #2
MarineGirl411
Registered Member

Anyone?

Unread 05/04/2013, 01:48 AM   #3
dattack
Registered Member

You can buy the walls i think from aquariumspecialties. I think these systems are popular in europe . Do a search for riffsystem.

I would think if you want to do all in ceramic form, you probably need someone who has a big large clay oven is my guess.

I found a thread on reefcentral that might give you an idea.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1300282

dattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2013, 03:21 AM   #4
MarineGirl411
Registered Member

I was looking at that thread earlier. =) TY. Also, yes I have been debating the reef scenes ceramic rock from aquariumspecialties. I just thought it would be more cost effective if I could make it myself. It would be fun too! Thank you dattack.

Unread 06/27/2013, 04:15 AM   #5
Evan LL
Registered Member

I'm a ceramics artist and I have been working with clay over a decade. I have a 72gal bowfront reef tank with half liverock and half DIY ceramic rocks, the clay that I used which is called B-mix 5 by Laguna.

I didn't make the rock hollow, but I poked tons of hole in different sizes with some tools and my fingers. Let it dry and it takes a long time to completely dry, but you can dry it in the kiln. Then just bisque fire it to cone 04. (around 1060C or 1940F) After kiln fired the ceramic rocks, it is still porous, because the temp. for that clay is between 1196 - 1222C or 2185 - 2232F, we call it cone 5 - 6.

In your case, you should mind the shrinkage of the clay, because it shrank when it is dried.

Good luck!!

Evan LL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2013, 04:57 AM   #6
ingtar_shinowa
Registered Member

Evan did you have any cracking while the clay dried with the rocks not being hollow?

ingtar_shinowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2013, 11:54 AM   #7
MarineGirl411
Registered Member

Evan,
Do you have any pictures of your reef tank? I would love to still do this. I purchased some 10 cone clay. When it starts to dry, it begins to crumble. I have not had much success getting it to dry without cracking. Before firing, doesn't it need to dry completely?

Unread 09/01/2013, 06:59 AM   #8
Evan LL
Registered Member

It is a 72g bowfront and I took this pic in Jan of this year, it is different now, because I'm upgrading to a large tank. I took everything out, moved the tank aside and put everything back into the 72g, so that I could place the 135g to where it was.

Unread 09/01/2013, 07:02 AM   #9
Evan LL
Registered Member

http://s856.photobucket.com/user/eva...734a1.jpg.html

Unread 09/01/2013, 07:30 AM   #10
Evan LL
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingtar_shinowa View Post
Evan did you have any cracking while the clay dried with the rocks not being hollow?
no, i never have any cracking with this method, even if it has some cracking that's not going to be a problem, right? eventually it will be covered by the coralline algae, as long as it doesn't blow during the firing.

well, it's not completely solid though, when i was making it, i first used my bare hands shaping and pinching to make some big holes with my fingers. once i have the desire form, i poke it with different size of hole making tools and fianlly with a needle tool

Unread 09/01/2013, 07:44 AM   #11
Evan LL
Registered Member

http://s856.photobucket.com/user/eva...b1031.jpg.html
here is a recent not high quality pic with my iPhone. i'm trying to make an internal overflow box with clay.

Unread 09/01/2013, 10:26 AM   #12
MarineGirl411
Registered Member

Wow. Your tank is beautiful! Why did you take the pictures down though? I don't see them in the thread.

Unread 09/02/2013, 01:39 AM   #13
Evan LL
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineGirl411 View Post
Wow. Your tank is beautiful! Why did you take the pictures down though? I don't see them in the thread.
Thanks!! The reason why I don't post it in the thread that is because I don't think it is good enough.

Unread 11/11/2013, 05:50 PM   #14
monkeytank
Registered Member

You should post more pictures. Your work is outstanding!

monkeytank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2013, 03:07 PM   #15
monkeytank
Registered Member

Evan LL, I found a local place that sells the b mix 5 from Laguna and they will let me use their kiln. They say they fire everything to 06. You recommend 04. Do you think that would be a problem?

monkeytank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2018, 01:24 AM   #16
Joerooster
Registered Member

Leaching question on ceramics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan LL View Post
I'm a ceramics artist and I have been working with clay over a decade. I have a 72gal bowfront reef tank with half liverock and half DIY ceramic rocks, the clay that I used which is called B-mix 5 by Laguna.

I didn't make the rock hollow, but I poked tons of hole in different sizes with some tools and my fingers. Let it dry and it takes a long time to completely dry, but you can dry it in the kiln. Then just bisque fire it to cone 04. (around 1060C or 1940F) After kiln fired the ceramic rocks, it is still porous, because the temp. for that clay is between 1196 - 1222C or 2185 - 2232F, we call it cone 5 - 6.

In your case, you should mind the shrinkage of the clay, because it shrank when it is dried.

Good luck!!
Did it ever leach out any impurities like phosphate or heavy metals and silicates? I want to try and have access to a pottery friend that i do metal work for so trade in our careers is feasible. I know this is an old thread anybody have any help they can chime in on?

Joerooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2018, 12:37 PM   #17
930Reef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joerooster View Post
Did it ever leach out any impurities like phosphate or heavy metals and silicates? I want to try and have access to a pottery friend that i do metal work for so trade in our careers is feasible. I know this is an old thread anybody have any help they can chime in on?
This is also my question. Will be upgrading from a nano to a 55 at some point (just picked up the tank yesterday used), and I'm really interested in taking the most eco-friendly (and cheaper!) alternative to live rock. I'm a teacher and have art teacher friends with art classroom kilns!

Following closely....thanks guys!

BTW that ceramic rock looks great Evan!

930Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2018, 11:16 AM   #18
930Reef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan LL View Post
no, i never have any cracking with this method, even if it has some cracking that's not going to be a problem, right? eventually it will be covered by the coralline algae, as long as it doesn't blow during the firing.

well, it's not completely solid though, when i was making it, i first used my bare hands shaping and pinching to make some big holes with my fingers. once i have the desire form, i poke it with different size of hole making tools and fianlly with a needle tool
My art teacher friend with the kiln says anything thicker than 1/4" can blow in the kiln. But yours aren't hollow?

How does that work? Thanks so much for your insights.

930Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2018, 01:13 PM   #19
gamerunr
Registered Member

Your tank is beautiful. Nothing to be shy about. Be proud of all you've done and show it off.

gamerunr is offline   Reply With Quote