Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/28/2015, 08:10 PM   #1
sixpackgarage
reef mechanic

Eucheuma bleached and turned into slime

I ordered some macro from reefs2go a couple of weeks ago. The order arrived last week.. All looked well, except the Eucheuma was a little paler than I though it would be. I put it in the fuge anyways to see if it was just shipping that may have caused stress.

It continued to get lighter in color from reddish to more whitish. Well, today I went to remove it as I had given up on it and as I was removing the ball of macro, it was completely saturated with a clear slime.

Of course it fell into hundreds of pieces and I had to use a turkey baster to get most of it out.

Now the question is, what is the slime? Is it toxic? I noticed a few of my corals seemed a little stressed over the past day and also my protein skimmer went crazy yesterday to the point where I had to shut it off. I assume the slime is the cause.

Any insight?

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2523500

Current Tank Info: DSA NEO 65G reef powered by Kessil

Last edited by sixpackgarage; 07/28/2015 at 08:40 PM.
sixpackgarage is offline   Reply With Quote