Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Tampa Bay Reef Club
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/24/2015, 01:08 PM   #1
sinful
Registered Member

Anyone use dosing pump for ato?

I currently use an aqua lifter pump, but I'm considering switching over to one of the brs dosing pumps. Anyone use one of these for topoff? How far can they push/pull? Are the better at pulling the water from greater distance or pushing?

Unread 11/24/2015, 02:46 PM   #2
rogergolf66
im an addict lol

I have used the bra 50ml Dover for years. Love it. Just got a second 1 for the new setup. How far I don't know but mine moves the water up 10ft pulling and pushing 10ft.

The other one pulls about 25ft and pushes only a couple feet. Both with no problems and I have never had to change the tubes yet and it's been years.

Roger

Current Tank Info: System 1... 100 gal Zoa tank I built, 30 gal Ric Yuma shroom tank, 30 gal mix tank my sons,40 gal softie tank, 40 gal nem tank, two 40 gal LPS tank. System 2... 240 gal SPS display attached 100 gal frag SPS only tank.
rogergolf66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2015, 08:13 PM   #3
sinful
Registered Member

Great. I'm only trying to go about 3 ft total. Think I'll have to pick one up

Unread 11/24/2015, 08:23 PM   #4
rogergolf66
im an addict lol

Promise u will love it!

Current Tank Info: System 1... 100 gal Zoa tank I built, 30 gal Ric Yuma shroom tank, 30 gal mix tank my sons,40 gal softie tank, 40 gal nem tank, two 40 gal LPS tank. System 2... 240 gal SPS display attached 100 gal frag SPS only tank.
Unread 11/24/2015, 08:34 PM   #5
snake1
Premium Member

After having the brs 1.1 ml dosing pumps for Years with perfect success and talking with Roger about the brs 50 ml dosing pumps he uses I took advantage of the sale they just had and picked up one myself I'm looking forward to doing a little kalk dosing in the top off to raise the ph up some..

Current Tank Info: Future build 60 Cube/45 gallon sump, Ecotech XR30 Radion Gen 4 Pro, 2)mp40 , 2)mp10, Full Apex, I-Tech100 Skimmer, JBJ Auto Top Off, custom I-Tech one off calcium reactor.
snake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/25/2015, 05:23 PM   #6
ReefWhatYouSow
Registered Member

Can you all please remind me of the benefit of using the dosing pump for you ATO as opposed to a maxijet pump?

ReefWhatYouSow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/25/2015, 05:35 PM   #7
rogergolf66
im an addict lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefWhatYouSow View Post
Can you all please remind me of the benefit of using the dosing pump for you ATO as opposed to a maxijet pump?
Well a dosing pump adds the water very slow. 50ml per min. So slow changes. This works great if dosing Kalk in top off. No ph swings. Safer if stuck on at 50ml it would take my sump a day to overflow. With a maxi jet it would take minutes. Also if water runs dry for maxi jet not good. Peristaltic pump runs dry then no damage to the pump. I'm sure there is more that I can't think of right now.

Roger

Unread 11/25/2015, 05:40 PM   #8
snake1
Premium Member

I used a maxi jet for years with no problems but I want to add kalk to My ato and I don't want a huge amount of water to be dumped in to fast so I'm going with a 50 ml doser and it will add it slower then just dumping it in ..but yes maxi jet does work pretty good .....plus with a smaller tank you want to add the fresh water slow it could constantly annoy or irritate the fish and corals with a bunch of non mixed water...just my two cents

Current Tank Info: Future build 60 Cube/45 gallon sump, Ecotech XR30 Radion Gen 4 Pro, 2)mp40 , 2)mp10, Full Apex, I-Tech100 Skimmer, JBJ Auto Top Off, custom I-Tech one off calcium reactor.
Unread 11/25/2015, 05:42 PM   #9
snake1
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogergolf66 View Post
Well a dosing pump adds the water very slow. 50ml per min. So slow changes. This works great if dosing Kalk in top off. No ph swings. Safer if stuck on at 50ml it would take my sump a day to overflow. With a maxi jet it would take minutes. Also if water runs dry for maxi jet not good. Peristaltic pump runs dry then no damage to the pump. I'm sure there is more that I can't think of right now.

Roger
I was driving and didn't see your post Roger ...

Unread 11/26/2015, 06:34 PM   #10
ReefWhatYouSow
Registered Member

Quote:

Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake1 View Post
I used a maxi jet for years with no problems but I want to add kalk to My ato and I don't want a huge amount of water to be dumped in to fast so I'm going with a 50 ml doser and it will add it slower then just dumping it in ..but yes maxi jet does work pretty good .....plus with a smaller tank you want to add the fresh water slow it could constantly annoy or irritate the fish and corals with a bunch of non mixed water...just my two cents

Thanks guys...

How about this for bad timing. I didn't look at your posts until now, and guess what I just went through three hours ago (and still cleaning up). A total overflow. To top it off (no pun intended) I have a dosing pump I could have hooked up. It seems that the float switch got stuck down and the maxijet kept pumping. Luckily I was in the room as it started splashing out of the sump. And luckily I had some fresh salt water made that I used to do a water change and get the salinity back up. It dropped a bit.

This is why I need to check the forums constantly! I guess the best thing to do now is to change out the pump, change out the switch, and buy some flowers for the wife : /

Unread 11/26/2015, 06:42 PM   #11
snake1
Premium Member

Ouch sorry to hear that but I have been there before .....before I owned a ato and even had a float switch for my rodi I would turn the rodi on directly to my sump and put the timer on the microwave to go off an hour later well I left the house forgetting it was on and I was gone for hours yeah it was only a softy tank so nothing was effected but my new pergo floor hahaha trashed ....nice ....that's why all my equipment is always going in the garage from now on and yes I have had some overflowing in my garage to but who cares out there....My recent garage overflow was a float switch that has to much calcium build up and stuck closed and over filled my sump in the garage....that hurt some of the sps

Unread 11/26/2015, 07:23 PM   #12
ReefWhatYouSow
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake1 View Post
Ouch sorry to hear that but I have been there before .....before I owned a ato and even had a float switch for my rodi I would turn the rodi on directly to my sump and put the timer on the microwave to go off an hour later well I left the house forgetting it was on and I was gone for hours yeah it was only a softy tank so nothing was effected but my new pergo floor hahaha trashed ....nice ....that's why all my equipment is always going in the garage from now on and yes I have had some overflowing in my garage to but who cares out there....My recent garage overflow was a float switch that has to much calcium build up and stuck closed and over filled my sump in the garage....that hurt some of the sps

Yeah. My marriage would be gone after that. Well... Not sure how this one is going to play out either. At least we have tile flooring but the baseboards are that cheap stuff. If a dosing pump can pull/push water up to my ceiling and 50 feet in then I would totally be open to moving my ATO to the garage, but my sump is definitely here in the closet with the tank. I'm definitely going to switch to the dosing pump and then try to figure out some kind of redundancy on the switches in case one fails. I'm not very electrically/technically savvy but I'm sure it can be done.

Unread 11/26/2015, 07:27 PM   #13
rogergolf66
im an addict lol

Yes it can be done pretty easy. What ato do u have?

Unread 11/26/2015, 08:04 PM   #14
ReefWhatYouSow
Registered Member

Quote:
yes it can be done pretty easy. What ato do u have?

jbj ato

Unread 11/26/2015, 08:16 PM   #15
rogergolf66
im an addict lol

U might be able to open it up and see how it's connected. I never used that one

Unread 11/26/2015, 08:44 PM   #16
ReefWhatYouSow
Registered Member

It seems like a pretty simple old fashioned kind of thing. If I can figure something out I'll have to throw up a post on how to do it.

Unread 11/26/2015, 08:46 PM   #17
snake1
Premium Member

Do you have a controller ...apex or reef keeper

Unread 11/28/2015, 08:04 PM   #18
ReefWhatYouSow
Registered Member

Yeah. I have an apex.

Unread 12/03/2015, 11:19 AM   #19
snake1
Premium Member

I have the jbj auto top off and found that my ato would freeze up the lights were still on the pump stopped working and the water level was still low, I spoke to Rogergolf he said he remembered something in the past about re setting the time on them ..I googled it and the factory set them at 3:45 seconds of on time and as a precaution instead of your ato flooding your house it shuts it off ..now online at marine depot they have a page setup on how to change that setting all the way up to 14 minutes ... so if you run into this problem with a dosing pump ...just unscrew the back of the ato and turn the dial like the webpage shows, they have nice pictures showing step by step.