Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/19/2018, 05:23 AM   #1
DaveFe
Registered Member

What do you use for QT and ATO?

Continuing the setup of my 75 gallon and just wanted to take a poll seeing what everyone uses for QT and ATO, tanks, buckets, Rubbermaid containers?

Someone local is selling two 10 gallon tanks and one 20 gallon tank for $1 gallon. I thought at least the 10 gallons might make good tanks for TTM QT.

Also from an aesthetic standpoint what do you do with your ATO container? My sump takes up all the room under my stand so it's going to have to be sitting next to the tank.

DaveFe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2018, 06:14 AM   #2
billdogg
Registered Member

No ATO, although I'm considering it after 30 years in the hobby.

My QT is a 20L tank with a heater, MJ power head, and a dual biowheel HOB filter, along with an assortment of pvc elbows for the fish to hide in.

For TTM, I use my tried and true 5g buckets that are almost impossible to not accumulate over the years.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2018, 07:26 AM   #3
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

I spent 25 years without an ATO.
I finally got one 2 weeks ago, coral box a-100.
The infra red sensor failed on the 13th day, lucky, the second sensor did work so saved the tank.
Going back to adding the 1/2 gallon per day myself.
Maybe just unlucky. Even the manufacture says the sensor wears out in 6 months,
Piece of garbage.

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2018, 11:47 AM   #4
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Spectrapure ATO, 40g, 75g and 125g QTs. Also have a 150g Rubbermaid and a 220g container that use to hold honey that I use for RO/saltwater

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2018, 01:46 PM   #5
homer1475
Registered Member

40G tank for QT, tried and true 5 gallon buckets for TTM. Tunze ATO to a 5 gallon jug which is in the closet behind the tank.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2018, 04:36 PM   #6
mb167204
Registered Member

Tunze 3155. After getting one I could never have a tank without one. The levels of safety warrant the higher price of the 3155 over the nano.

mb167204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2018, 06:47 PM   #7
Thornbreaker
Registered Member

5 gallon buckets for TTM, perfect size esp if it's just 1 fish.

Just picked up a 10 gallon brute for an ATO container. $20 at HD.

Using an innovative marine titanium hydrofill ATO controller. $60 bucks.

Basic Tom's aqua lifter pump.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Thornbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2018, 07:10 PM   #8
DaveFe
Registered Member

Thanks for the replies, it never even occurred to me to use buckets for TTM but then use a tank to finish up the QT. For the bucket people are you doing anything with the water in the 72 hour window or not enough time for ammonia to build up? I realize this answer would change based on number of fish being done at once, I'm thinking I'll be doing one fish at a time with the possible exception of a group of flasher wrasses.

DaveFe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2018, 07:58 PM   #9
mal7887
Registered Member

I top off directly from RO. I have a few 110V solenoids that are controlled by the Apex, they open and close as needed, Automatically. It's great not having to fill up buckets!

Don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining.

Current Tank Info: 190
mal7887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2018, 09:00 PM   #10
Thornbreaker
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFe View Post
Thanks for the replies, it never even occurred to me to use buckets for TTM but then use a tank to finish up the QT. For the bucket people are you doing anything with the water in the 72 hour window or not enough time for ammonia to build up? I realize this answer would change based on number of fish being done at once, I'm thinking I'll be doing one fish at a time with the possible exception of a group of flasher wrasses.
I had seachem badges to keep an eye on ammonia, and would dose Prime if it started creeping up. Had 2 clowns in the bucket though.

You could also do a water change as needed. (1-2 gallons)

You just have to switch buckets and equipment right before the 72 hour window.

Unread 05/20/2018, 05:52 AM   #11
ryeguyy84
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mal7887 View Post
I top off directly from RO. I have a few 110V solenoids that are controlled by the Apex, they open and close as needed, Automatically. It's great not having to fill up buckets!
I recently thought to try this as I'm currently using a solenoid valve to fill my ato container. What kind of backup do you have from a stuck solenoid?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon
ryeguyy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2018, 08:23 AM   #12
Sk8r
RC Mod

For ATO, I currently use the Hydor SmartLevel. Cheap, simple, reliable. For your inflow hose, you can take a 1/2" hose down to mere tubing by slipping one tubing hose connector inside the 1/2" hose by brute force [and a hair dryer.]

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2018, 02:54 PM   #13
homer1475
Registered Member

Never had an issue with ammonia in a 5G bucket.

Largest fish I have TTMed is a 3" kole tang, and have done 2 smalls clowns at the same time with no issue. Just remember to feed vary sparingly if at all. I typically find that fish don't eat during TTM, but there are exceptions(the kole tang I did ate like a pig every day).

Unread 05/20/2018, 03:08 PM   #14
mal7887
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeguyy84 View Post
I recently thought to try this as I'm currently using a solenoid valve to fill my ato container. What kind of backup do you have from a stuck solenoid?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I have a total of 4 solenoids:
  • 1 - Valve to Water Source to RO System
  • 2 - Valvue to run 20 Second discharge when system first starts to save DI resin
  • 3 - Valve to tank
  • 4 - Valve to fill Clean Water storage container for auto water changes

In addition, i also have a float switch in sump... Just in case. But so far, I have never needed it.

Solenoids I am using are here: https://www.wicvalve.com/. I am using 120V version so they can be plugged into regular outlet. Been in use for over 2 years without a single problem.

Here is a pic of my setup. Looks like a bunch of crazy wires, but it's organized chaos!

Unread 05/20/2018, 03:17 PM   #15
Sisterlimonpot
R.C. Fraternity President

Quote:
The concern with that is TDS creep. You don't want to have your RODI constantly turn on and off, you want it to stay on long enough to flush out the filters and membrane. By constantly having it turn on and off, you're not giving it the opportunity to do that thus shortening the life of your filters and depleting your DI resin faster eventually raising your TDS into the tank.

Plus it can be detrimental to your tank if for some reason your rodi didn't shut off and continued to feed your tank fresh water.

The best option is to have a container that can support 2-4 days of top off water and have it filled by your RODI only a couple times per week. That will limit the amount of fresh water pumped into your tank due to a stuck float, and prolong the life your your RODI.

Dishes are done man!

Current Tank Info: 300 in progress
Sisterlimonpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2018, 03:40 PM   #16
mal7887
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisterlimonpot View Post
The concern with that is TDS creep. You don't want to have your RODI constantly turn on and off, you want it to stay on long enough to flush out the filters and membrane. By constantly having it turn on and off, you're not giving it the opportunity to do that thus shortening the life of your filters and depleting your DI resin faster eventually raising your TDS into the tank.

Plus it can be detrimental to your tank if for some reason your rodi didn't shut off and continued to feed your tank fresh water.

The best option is to have a container that can support 2-4 days of top off water and have it filled by your RODI only a couple times per week. That will limit the amount of fresh water pumped into your tank due to a stuck float, and prolong the life your your RODI.

Prior to having this setup, I used to have a large supply of fresh RODI water. It's been about 2 years now that I have been with this setup and have seen no noticeable decrease in my DI resin lifespan or Carbon/pre-filter life spans. Nor have I seen any noticeable change with my TDS meter.

Also, not sure if you read my 2nd post or not, but I have a solenoid that dumps the output from the membrane for the first 30 or so seconds to help preserve the DI resin longer and not expose it to excessive TDS when the system first starts.

Regarding the over filling. Two values would have to fail in the open position. Not impossible but not likely. I also have a float switch in the sump where the RO is added that is more than capable of physically preventing an overfill.

Last edited by mal7887; 05/20/2018 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Spelling
Unread 05/20/2018, 04:38 PM   #17
Sisterlimonpot

Just imagine the water you would save from those initial 30 second squirts if your top off wasn't calling for fresh water all the time.

Although that will prevent the creep, you have to admit that adds up.

Oh and what does TTM stand for?

Dishes are done man!

Unread 05/20/2018, 06:21 PM   #18
mal7887
Registered Member

Sure, I could save water by not flushing it for 20/30 seconds…. But considering how much water is wasted anyway in the process of making RO in the grand scheme this really doesn’t make a huge difference.

Some RO systems (very few) produce on a 1:1 ratio but most are a lot worse maybe a 4:1. Even with very efficient systems you are still wasting the same amount of what you produce.

My RO Top Off runs on average 4 times a day so each 30 second flush uses .026 gallons each time. I live in Florida... It rains a lot here. So I can live with it.

Unread 05/21/2018, 02:16 AM   #19
Tastee
Registered Member

I have a Red Sea Reefer with a stock gravity fed 8 litre ATO, controlled by a float. That in turn is kept full by a Neptune ATK. The ATK uses both optical sensors and an emergency float valve shutoff to ensure it can never over-run. Currently I feed from a 30 litre barrel next to the tank but are working on my external RODI reservoir (about 8’ away from the tank). See below.

The RODI is an Aquatic Life 4 stage unit, and I have their pressure sensitive solenoid and float valve on order. That will keep a 100 litre storage container full and the ATK will then feed from that. I will also have a tap line inside pumping from the reservoir via an Eheim 3000 L/hour pump. That will let me fill barrels for water changes etc.

I will also be putting an Apex optical sensor into the sump return to alert me if the gravity fed float valve ever stops working and the sump starts to empty due to evaporation. I don’t have room to put the ATK directly into the sump.

My QT is a 35 litre Aqua One Reflex. It has it’s own 1.8 litre home made ATO, again gravity fed with a float valve.

Tastee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2018, 08:46 AM   #20
Thornbreaker
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1475 View Post
Never had an issue with ammonia in a 5G bucket.

Largest fish I have TTMed is a 3" kole tang, and have done 2 smalls clowns at the same time with no issue. Just remember to feed vary sparingly if at all. I typically find that fish don't eat during TTM, but there are exceptions(the kole tang I did ate like a pig every day).
Think 2 small tangs like a yellow and tomini would still be viable in a 5 gallon bucket?

Unread 05/21/2018, 05:08 PM   #21
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
Sure, I could save water by not flushing it for 20/30 seconds…. But considering how much water is wasted anyway in the process of making RO in the grand scheme this really doesn’t make a huge difference.

Some RO systems (very few) produce on a 1:1 ratio but most are a lot worse maybe a 4:1. Even with very efficient systems you are still wasting the same amount of what you produce.

My RO Top Off runs on average 4 times a day so each 30 second flush uses .026 gallons each time. I live in Florida... It rains a lot here. So I can live with it.
One thing that never caught on and I wonder why, was the stand alone DI chambers. No RO, No wastewater, just slowly push tap through filters and the end result is 0 TDS.

Maybe it was to cost of anion and cation, or the process in which you had to recharge them... hmm.

Here in AZ water in a commodity, i try to conserve what I can.

Dishes are done man!

Unread 05/21/2018, 06:03 PM   #22
homer1475
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisterlimonpot View Post

Oh and what does TTM stand for?

TTM = Tank Transfer Method

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thornbreaker View Post
Think 2 small tangs like a yellow and tomini would still be viable in a 5 gallon bucket?

I would do them one at a time, just because of how they act when in confined spaces.

I have had several buckets going at the same time. I blame my wife who would rather have fish then corals. TTM buckets don't have to be elaborate, I use 2 small PVC elbows for hiding, a bubble wand, and a preset 20G heater, thats it. I have several sets and a couple spare air pumps. As long as your equipment has had a full 24H to completely dry between transfers, your fine.

Unread 05/21/2018, 06:12 PM   #23
Thornbreaker
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1475 View Post
TTM = Tank Transfer Method

I would do them one at a time, just because of how they act when in confined spaces.

I have had several buckets going at the same time. I blame my wife who would rather have fish then corals. TTM buckets don't have to be elaborate, I use 2 small PVC elbows for hiding, a bubble wand, and a preset 20G heater, thats it. I have several sets and a couple spare air pumps. As long as your equipment has had a full 24H to completely dry between transfers, your fine.
Just put them together in QT after TTM then sounds like a good plan.

Unread 05/23/2018, 12:56 AM   #24
Toga2
Registered Member

Tuner here. Bought it two years ago used. Still going strong

Toga2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2018, 12:57 AM   #25
Toga2
Registered Member

Tunze**

Toga2 is offline   Reply With Quote