Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/20/2018, 06:39 PM   #1
mhumphre
Registered Member

Bubble Tip Anemone Propogation

Why is is that my rbtas split all the time, but the gbta I've had for years just keeps getting bigger?

mhumphre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2018, 10:54 AM   #2
Akram
Registered Member

Lot of factors to consider. Generally, actiniarias have the ability to reproduce in many different ways. Any given specimen can be male, female, both, or can split into 2 similar clones. I wish to know an answer to this.

Akram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2018, 04:56 AM   #3
LeJeune981
Registered Member

My rainbow btas split left and right
My rbta just keeps getting bigger!!

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

LeJeune981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2018, 11:21 AM   #4
NikonN8
Registered Member

Sell the RBTAs and buy a few more GBTAs?

NikonN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2018, 01:56 PM   #5
Jordan00
Registered Member

lmao i have the same thing happen to me

Jordan00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2018, 07:19 PM   #6
LeJeune981
Registered Member

Anemones are weird creatures..
In fact my rbta.. was once nice and dark red colored.. now... its been green and purple for almost 2 years now..

Unread 10/18/2018, 03:09 PM   #7
dmsprague
Registered Member

I have purchased 3 rbta and now have over 40 but they seem to have stopped splitting and are starting to grow larger. This is a few of them in my 180. I'm hopping to eventually have all the rocks covered in them but we'll see if they agree with that. They don't move much and I have never lost one to a power head.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

dmsprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2018, 09:49 PM   #8
saf1
Registered Member

Started with 1 now up to 10. Not has bad as @dmspraque but the continue to split game forced me to upgrade twice. First time from a 29 gallon bio cube to a 2nd 29 gallon bio cube. Then to a 40 breeder, and now a 210 gallon tank. First split may have been due to me feeding it silver sides since that is what I read at the time. Later read it was bad to feed them due to the bones so stopped. I think I was at around 2 at that time. From there they just sort of took off. Similar to me like Xenia - a pest (although I like Xenia I mean with regards to it growing if left unchecked).

I've since stopped feeding direct any sort of food be it shrimp, frozen, or pellet. I let them catch whatever from the current and they seem to be doing well. I really don't know why they do what they do...if truth be told I don't think anyone does.

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef
saf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2018, 10:19 AM   #9
crankbait09
Registered Member

I bought a BTA a number of months back. At the time, he was about the size of a silver dollar. I have had him for a good 6 months I'd say. He is now a good 10-12". His "bubbles" do not exist. He has more of the tentacle type arms. He is very large and happy. I feed him every other day (scallops). He has not ever split on me, and he hasn't relocated either. The day I got him, he found a home, and he has stayed in that same place. The only issue I am running in to now, is he's getting too tall, and he's within inches of the surrounding corals.

So I am now at the point, do I sell him off (or try to), or do I move all my corals away from him. He's definitely cool to watch, but he is taking a whole corner up.

I have the opportunity to get a RBTA. I really want that one. I think on that one, I'm going to try not feeding it and see how it goes. Or if I do feed it, it certainly won't be every other day. Growth is good and makes me happy, but tank take over, not so much.

crankbait09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2018, 11:08 PM   #10
LeJeune981
Registered Member

I feed my rbta every other day.. about a tablespoon of fish food pellets.. it seems to love them and has never split just gets bigger..my Other corals in my tank get feed pellets as well and grow like crazy

My rainbow bubble tips on the other hand..they split too often and I cant seem to get them off the rocks to transfer to my other tank lol
Once there I'll feed the crap out of them too to hopefully make them split alot.. or grow.. every time they get a decent size now... they split

Unread 11/21/2018, 08:46 AM   #11
jd371
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeJeune981 View Post
I feed my rbta every other day.. about a tablespoon of fish food pellets.. it seems to love them and has never split just gets bigger..my Other corals in my tank get feed pellets as well and grow like crazy

My rainbow bubble tips on the other hand..they split too often and I cant seem to get them off the rocks to transfer to my other tank lol
Once there I'll feed the crap out of them too to hopefully make them split alot.. or grow.. every time they get a decent size now... they split

I'm having the same problem with my RBTA and I'm now up to 5 of them and running out of real estate. I have been temporarily placing rubble rock near where they are so as they move over them I can remove them rubble rock with the nem attached.

jd371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2018, 08:33 PM   #12
LeJeune981
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd371 View Post
I'm having the same problem with my RBTA and I'm now up to 5 of them and running out of real estate. I have been temporarily placing rubble rock near where they are so as they move over them I can remove them rubble rock with the nem attached.
Mine are through out the rock work.. on vertical edges. Mostly where I cant fit my hands as well lol.. I wonder if I can stack some live rock around them and make em move to it for easy removal

Unread 12/14/2018, 12:04 PM   #13
saf1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeJeune981 View Post
Mine are through out the rock work.. on vertical edges. Mostly where I cant fit my hands as well lol.. I wonder if I can stack some live rock around them and make em move to it for easy removal

You can direct a power head, low power of course, at it and it will move. They do not like direct flow. Just remember it is a steady low flow rather than millions of gallons per hour blowing it to the next state over

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef
saf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2018, 09:44 PM   #14
LeJeune981
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saf1 View Post
You can direct a power head, low power of course, at it and it will move. They do not like direct flow. Just remember it is a steady low flow rather than millions of gallons per hour blowing it to the next state over
The one lives directly in front if a powerhead lol

Unread 12/18/2018, 02:47 PM   #15
IowaReefer
Registered Member

Ha! I had one living beneath a powerhead for 6 months! Has moved slightly but I guess it was ok with getting blasted.

Current Tank Info: 60 gallon cube mixed reef
IowaReefer is offline   Reply With Quote