Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reefkeeping Online Magazine > Tank of the Month
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/05/2006, 07:54 PM   #51
cward
Premium Member

Your tank is simply amazing!!! Congratulations on a very well deserved TOTM.

Unread 07/05/2006, 09:32 PM   #52
jay24k
Registered Member

Grats man. Definetly looking good. Caps are always a plus in my book and I think the growth and design they give to a tank is the best.

jay24k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/05/2006, 09:49 PM   #53
yoboyjdizz
Registered Member

Congradulations sunny...knew it was coming sooner or later!

yoboyjdizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/05/2006, 11:57 PM   #54
bc_slc
Registered Member

great looking tank. Some of your corals have pretty amazing colors and I love the 60" tank. The 36" front-to-back must give you a ton of aquaspacing options. You must love it.

Mat

bc_slc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/06/2006, 07:16 AM   #55
SunnyX
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by AZreefkeeper
Very nice
why do you change the sandbed out every 6 months? doesn't look very deep. just curious.
thanks
The sand bed is very shallow so it is quite easy to remove. There is only about 30lbs of sand in the whole tank. The rocks and corals are resting on cutting board, while only the front 1/3 of the tank is covered with sand. To remove it I simply siphon it out and replace it with new sand that has been curing for a few days in old saltwater.

No matter how well you take care of your sandbed it will eventually discolor.

SunnyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/06/2006, 07:20 AM   #56
SunnyX
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by poknsnok
gorgeous tank. Always one of my favorites. have you ever had any pest problems in your tanks?? and what is your acclimation/qt procedures with your corals?
When I first started the tank I had a very bad problem with Aptasia. I would kalk the little bastards every day and they would still come back. I must have had hundreds at on point. The final solution was to add a Copperband Butterfly. This little guy went to town on the Aptasia. Within 3 days there was not a single Aptasia to be found.

As for Q/T and acclimation I have no procedures. I simply take the fish or coral and place it directly into my tank.

Unread 07/06/2006, 07:21 AM   #57
SunnyX
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by robthorn
awesome tank and definately worthy of tank of the month keep up the good work.
only thing I noticed is watts/gallon. 2 400watt halides plus 3 140 watt vho = 1220 watts divided by 225 gallons is 5.42 watts per gallon.
sorry to point this out here but it was messing with me for a second. no matter how many watts whatever you are doing is working very well.
Sorry for the mix-up. I was actually referring to my old lighting system. When writing this article I was still using the 250W 10K XM's.

Unread 07/06/2006, 07:24 AM   #58
SunnyX
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by crabsy
Great tank! Where's the fuge??? Can your sump handle backflow if power goes out? What's your "other"pump for the skimmer?Another Eheim?

Congrats!!!
It's not really a "fuge", more like a section of the sump with algae in it. The sump can handle backflow if the power were to go off. The skimmer was fed in the beginning directly from the overflow. I had some problems getting enough water to the skimmer so I purchased a MAG5.

Unread 07/06/2006, 07:33 AM   #59
SunnyX
Moved On

I know the website needs to be updated so I will most likely be updating it in a day or so.

Here are a few pics that didnt make it into the article:

Unread 07/06/2006, 09:56 AM   #60
Ceak
Registered Member

Congrats Sunny!

Ceak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/06/2006, 09:59 AM   #61
ga_reefer_guy
Registered Member

CONGRATS Sunny!!!

"It takes time to succeed because success is merely the natural reward of taking the time to do anything well"

Current Tank Info: 55 gal freswater, Starting first reef slooooooooowly
ga_reefer_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/06/2006, 10:55 AM   #62
robthorn
Registered Member

hey sunny do you use any additives? I read it yesterday but besides lugols I can't see anything else you add that the reactor and kalk don't put in? also not counting water changes.

robthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/06/2006, 10:58 AM   #63
SunnyX
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by robthorn
hey sunny do you use any additives? I read it yesterday but besides lugols I can't see anything else you add that the reactor and kalk don't put in? also not counting water changes.
Nothing added other then what was listed.

I like to keep it simple.

Unread 07/06/2006, 11:54 AM   #64
J4Life
Premium Member

Congratulations SunnyX on your tank making TOTM. You truly have a beautiful setup. I was wondering how many pounds of LR do you have in your tank and why exactly you decided to switch from your 10K, XM's over to the 400 watt 14k Hamiltons?

You were a big help to me in making the decision to go with the XM, 10k 250's and I am so glad I did. They really make the corals grow and for what its worth I have never experienced any yellowing with mine. They have always been a crisp clean white light and the color of the corals look awesome.

Thanks and congrats again,
Bill

Current Tank Info: 75 gallon, Reef tank
J4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/06/2006, 12:58 PM   #65
SunnyX
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by J4Life
Congratulations SunnyX on your tank making TOTM. You truly have a beautiful setup. I was wondering how many pounds of LR do you have in your tank and why exactly you decided to switch from your 10K, XM's over to the 400 watt 14k Hamiltons?

You were a big help to me in making the decision to go with the XM, 10k 250's and I am so glad I did. They really make the corals grow and for what its worth I have never experienced any yellowing with mine. They have always been a crisp clean white light and the color of the corals look awesome.

Thanks and congrats again,
Bill
Thank you.

I am actually using XM 20K's, not Hamilton 14k. I decided to switch over because I wanted something a bit bluer. I have always been a fan of the blue bulbs, they really make the tank "pop".

As for the amount of rock I really couldn't say, I received half the rock from someone so I don't have an exact weight value. I usually pull a piece of rock out every month. Hopefully one day most of the rocks will be in my sump and not in my display.

Unread 07/06/2006, 01:48 PM   #66
J4Life
Premium Member

I guess I understand wanting your corals to have that "pop", but I thought they were popping pretty awesome with the 10k's but hey you da' man so don't let me stop you. So you're taking out a piece of LR every month, you can send them to me if you don't want them

I guess you're trying to let your corals be the reef with that approach then. On another note have you given any consideration to swapping out your URI VHO's for their new T5's? I am making the switch this weekend to T5's for supplementation and I am betting they will make the corals "pop" with my 10k XM's plus less wattage.

Unread 07/06/2006, 01:58 PM   #67
SunnyX
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by J4Life
I guess I understand wanting your corals to have that "pop", but I thought they were popping pretty awesome with the 10k's but hey you da' man so don't let me stop you. So you're taking out a piece of LR every month, you can send them to me if you don't want them

I guess you're trying to let your corals be the reef with that approach then. On another note have you given any consideration to swapping out your URI VHO's for their new T5's? I am making the switch this weekend to T5's for supplementation and I am betting they will make the corals "pop" with my 10k XM's plus less wattage.
Sometimes I actually think about replacing the whole lighting setup for a T-5's. One day when I setup a new tank it will be T-5/LED.

Unread 07/06/2006, 02:04 PM   #68
cward
Premium Member

For some reason the URI T5 actinics don't seem to as nice as the VHO actinics.

Unread 07/06/2006, 02:10 PM   #69
J4Life
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cward
For some reason the URI T5 actinics don't seem to as nice as the VHO actinics.
Really?? I haven't heard that. Are you speaking from personal experience? I find it hard to believe that the same quality isn't there and I would imagine that the T5 bulb should be far brighter.

Unread 07/06/2006, 02:18 PM   #70
cward
Premium Member

I buddy of mine just replaced two AquaMedic Ocean Blue bulbs with the URI actinics, and there wasn't a whole lot of difference. The VHO actinics just seem to make the colors pop more, especially the greens.

Unread 07/06/2006, 02:35 PM   #71
J4Life
Premium Member

I don't want to distract from this thread since it is for SunnyX so t his is the last thing I will mention about this subject If you do a search on T5's the UVL bulbs which are URI have great reputation and numerous are recommending them. Also checkout IceCaps forum and see what they have to say about the bulbs.

I wouldn't run a T5 or VHO on anything but and IceCap electronic ballast due to experience and reputation.

I would be happy to talk more offline via PM or another thread. I always welcome others experience and input.

Again SunnyX well deserved TOTM and I think I might be reconsidering my tank size after learning that yours is 60x36x24.

Thanks,
Bill

Unread 07/06/2006, 02:41 PM   #72
cward
Premium Member

Your absolutely right, I forgot what thread I was in.

Apologies to SunnyX on a well deserved TOTM.

Unread 07/06/2006, 02:42 PM   #73
Mantisshrimp248
Registered Member

Gorgeous colorful tank.

I noticed you change carbon every month. Wouldn't the carbon accumulate detritus and be a nitrate factory if not changed frequently?

Mantisshrimp248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/06/2006, 02:48 PM   #74
SunnyX
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Mantisshrimp248
Gorgeous colorful tank.

I noticed you change carbon every month. Wouldn't the carbon accumulate detritus and be a nitrate factory if not changed frequently?
I shake it everyday to release bacteria and detritus.

Unread 07/06/2006, 04:25 PM   #75
robthorn
Registered Member

sunny awesome new pics.
I have to say t5's are awesome. 432 watts on my 265. all geisemann bulbs. if you want a 20k look do half and half daylight bulbs which i think are around 11k and half actinic plus. the colors really pop as people say wit the actinic plus bulbs. I run 4 actinics 2 actinic plus and 2 11k bulbs. I have sps 4-5 inches off the bottom of my 31 inch deep tank. I am debating on adding a few more bulbs to get more color but it is coming slowly anyway I am thinking of waiting til the color stops coming.
sorry to say this about a great company but you couldn't give me ice caps to use. I would take them to sell but not use. they overdrive/overheat the bulbs shortening the life. same for most of there ballasts. I use advance icn 2s54 electronic program rapid start ballasts. actually intended to run t5 bulbs. change the last 2 numbers to whatever single bulb wattage you need. the 2 is how many bulbs it will run.

ok enough hi jacking your thread but since you said you might change I figured I would give you some good info to start your search with. my little red house has some pics. maybe I should go take some new ones.

robthorn is offline   Reply With Quote