Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/24/2015, 12:04 PM   #51
805reef
Registered Member

I was just about to order a reeflo super dart gold to use as a return pump but now I'm considering getting an L1 instead... it sounds very interesting... I hope more information comes out soon

300 gallon peninsula, return:RD3 Speedy 230, Turbo's Rev4 L2 Algae Turf Scrubber, (2) Gyre 150s, Advanced Acrylic sump, (4) Ocean Revive T247s, Apex (classic w/ black sticker;):D)
805reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/24/2015, 12:09 PM   #52
kewadiak
Registered Member

Do you guys think these pumps could be used externally. And a guess on fitting sizes?

kewadiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/24/2015, 12:14 PM   #53
Narwhal82
Registered Member

Will have to see one in person to be sure but I am pretty sure that blue fitting on the inlet and outlet is just a slip x fpt adapter.

You would still need a union on the inlet and outlet in order to separate the pump from the plumbing for maintenance.

Narwhal82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/24/2015, 12:19 PM   #54
805reef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kewadiak View Post
Do you guys think these pumps could be used externally. And a guess on fitting sizes?
From the pictures it looks like the output fitting is a little smaller than the input. I would guess for the L1 it would be 2" in and 1 1/2" out like other similar sized pumps

300 gallon peninsula, return:RD3 Speedy 230, Turbo's Rev4 L2 Algae Turf Scrubber, (2) Gyre 150s, Advanced Acrylic sump, (4) Ocean Revive T247s, Apex (classic w/ black sticker;):D)
Unread 07/24/2015, 12:27 PM   #55
shred5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
I will be interested to see the rest of the specs. These are also appear to be the same blocks used by Deep Water Aquatics BLDC series pumps.

You are right that looks to be the same pump and allot of manufacturers are now starting to use this same pump from what I have seen coming up.. Also look at the controller that is the same as the new RODC pumps use, could be a modified version of this pump. I think RlSS is coming with a pump based on this model..
I am guessing that Ecotech will charge more than most. I think we will see allot of manufacturers using this pump... Basically there will be slight variations of this pump everywhere. This also does not mean it will be anymore reliable and only time can tell on that.

Unread 07/24/2015, 12:36 PM   #56
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:

They can absolutely be used internally and externally. If I had to guess, the M1 will have 1.5" input and 1" output. The L1 will have 2" input and 1.5" output.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shred5 View Post
You are right that looks to be the same pump and allot of manufacturers are now starting to use this same pump from what I have seen coming up.. Also look st the controller that is the same as the new RODC pumps use, could be a modified version of this pump. I think RlSS is coming with a pump based on this model..
I am guessing that Ecotech will charge more than most. I think we will see allot of manufacturers using this pump... Basically there will be slight variations of this pump everywhere. This also does not mean it will be anymore reliable and only time can tell on that.
As I said in my previous post. The issues with the cheap DC pumps is the power supplies and controllers. You can bet that Ecotech will not be using cheap power supplies like all the other cheap DC's and we already know that they are using their own controller. As such, I think these pumps will prove much more reliable than the other ones that look the same.

I will add a bit more info based on my research. Like with the rest of the DC pumps, these will most certainly have the soft start. This is pretty much a guarantee since soft start standard with all of these BLDC blocks. What that means is that these pumps will not be able to ramp up and down really fast like we can do with our controllable power heads. It will take several seconds to ramp from 0 to full power as well as from a low flow rate to full flow rate. I bring this up because a fast ramp rate is really intriguing for those that would like that ability in a close loop scenario.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/24/2015, 12:49 PM   #57
Johnseye
Reef Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska d View Post
Beat me to it. Start at 17:20. It's a long video and it doesn't show much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1tAnhIGpgA

New 260g build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2557715

Current Tank Info: 260g reef, Giesemann Spectra MH/T5/Kessil A160, Dastaco CaRx, Vortechs, Lifereef skimmer, Red Dragon 3, Apex, Genesis, Angles, Tang, Trigger, Clowns, Anthias, Wrasses, Cardinals, SPS, LPS
Johnseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/24/2015, 12:54 PM   #58
805reef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnseye View Post
Beat me to it. Start at 17:20. It's a long video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1tAnhIGpgA
Nice!

So it looks like the blue "union" things are meant for hard plumbing and not soft since they use an adapter to attach the hose.

Unread 07/24/2015, 01:47 PM   #59
shred5
Registered Member

Quote:
They can absolutely be used internally and externally. If I had to guess, the M1 will have 1.5" input and 1" output. The L1 will have 2" input and 1.5" output.

As I said in my previous post. The issues with the cheap DC pumps is the power supplies and controllers. You can bet that Ecotech will not be using cheap power supplies like all the other cheap DC's and we already know that they are using their own controller. As such, I think these pumps will prove much more reliable than the other ones that look the same.

I will add a bit more info based on my research. Like with the rest of the DC pumps, these will most certainly have the soft start. This is pretty much a guarantee since soft start standard with all of these BLDC blocks. What that means is that these pumps will not be able to ramp up and down really fast like we can do with our controllable power heads. It will take several seconds to ramp from 0 to full power as well as from a low flow rate to full flow rate. I bring this up because a fast ramp rate is really intriguing for those that would like that ability in a close loop scenario.
I dont know the vortech power supplies are not that great.. They are just standard power supplies. I just replaced one for my mp40 and bought it from somewhere else for 1/2 what they sell it for...
It dont matter if it is the most expensive product on the market or by the best company in the world Longevity is only found out in time.. Flaw or errors in manufacturing happen to the best especially when you rely on Chineese manufacturing.

Unread 07/24/2015, 02:56 PM   #60
Chris155hp
Registered Member

looks like the block is the same is the BLDC8 but i wonder why the wattage is 80w vs the 67w the BLDC uses. also wonder if it has the same "no water shutoff" feature? also looks like it will be able to hook up to thier battery backup which is quite nice. Depending on your setup, in a power failure, your return pump might actually oxygenate the water more then a power head.

Last edited by Chris155hp; 07/24/2015 at 03:18 PM.
Chris155hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/24/2015, 07:36 PM   #61
ksed
Registered Member

Vectra has a slightly high head pressure and that probably where the extra few watts are coming from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris155hp View Post
looks like the block is the same is the BLDC8 but i wonder why the wattage is 80w vs the 67w the BLDC uses. also wonder if it has the same "no water shutoff" feature? also looks like it will be able to hook up to thier battery backup which is quite nice. Depending on your setup, in a power failure, your return pump might actually oxygenate the water more then a power head.

ksed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/24/2015, 07:39 PM   #62
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksed View Post
Vectra has a slightly high head pressure and that probably where the extra few watts are coming from.
That or they are using a higher wattage power supply. The Block is a 24 volt block but a 36 watt power supply could be used since the control varies the voltage. That could result in slightly higher power consumption in the name of a more reliable power source that is always under utilized.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
Unread 07/24/2015, 07:45 PM   #63
ksed
Registered Member

Yes! indeed. 36v will make it more reliable. Higher voltage, lower amps.

Quote:
That or they are using a higher wattage power supply. The Block is a 24 volt block but a 36 watt power supply could be used since the control varies the voltage. That could result in slightly higher power consumption in the name of a more reliable power source that is always under utilized.

Unread 07/24/2015, 09:27 PM   #64
Chris155hp
Registered Member

Quote:
So what does this mean to me? Higher or lower energy bill?

Chris155hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2015, 07:54 AM   #65
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Do you guys think these pumps could be used externally.
Marketing on the pump indicates a closed loop mode, so the answer is definitively yes. If I get one, that is how I will use it.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2015, 08:22 AM   #66
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris155hp View Post
So what does this mean to me? Higher or lower energy bill?
Likely still lower than most pumps but that is all relative to what we are comparing to. Using a high voltage power supply if in fact that is what they are doing doesn't necessarily mean more power consumption since it's all about current draw and not the DC voltage. It could be slightly higher than a comparable DC pump or even lower but we really don't know that. I will also note that often the power consumption is under rated on many Chinese pumps so side by side with a comparable DC pump, it could be identical and Ecotech is just giving an honest rating under worst case conditions.

Unread 07/25/2015, 11:35 AM   #67
gcarroll
Registered Member

Quote:
and lower amps, less heat through the components.

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Be wary of advice coming from those who will not show you the fruits of their success!

Current Tank Info: building: 250g AGE Euro tank, Abyzz A200, Vertex Supra-G filtration, Ecotech Radion Pro LEDs, ...
gcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2015, 07:35 PM   #68
SPotter
Registered Member

i am anxioius to get more info on the inlet/outlet sizes.

Am I really doing all of this for a fish tank??????

Current Tank Info: 360g Envision Acrylic Tank, Closed Loops, Vectra L1's, MP40QD's, 400w Radiums, Regal 300ext, Dastaco Ext3 CaRx, Controlled by GHL Profilux
SPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2015, 07:54 PM   #69
ksed
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcarroll View Post

Unread 07/26/2015, 04:58 AM   #70
jedimasterben
LED world domination!

Quote:
Heat is measured in watts, not amps. A 100v 1A line will give the same amount of heat as a 1000v 0.1A line because the wattage is identical.

Current Tank Info: Acquasole 60, IceCap 15 Sump, 2x Maxspect Ethereal, Coral Box D500 skimmer, Maxspect Gyre 150, Jecod DCS-5000
jedimasterben is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2015, 08:44 AM   #71
andresht
Registered Member

jedimasterben.....they're talking about energy losses no power consumed.

andresht is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2015, 08:49 AM   #72
jedimasterben
LED world domination!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andresht View Post
jedimasterben.....they're talking about energy losses no power consumed.
That's not what I got out of those two statements. Input voltage won't equate to more or less loss unless the motor is made for a very different voltage.

Quote:
Quote:

Current Tank Info: Acquasole 60, IceCap 15 Sump, 2x Maxspect Ethereal, Coral Box D500 skimmer, Maxspect Gyre 150, Jecod DCS-5000
Unread 07/26/2015, 08:50 AM   #73
gcarroll
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimasterben View Post
Heat is measured in watts, not amps. A 100v 1A line will give the same amount of heat as a 1000v 0.1A line because the wattage is identical.
You are correct, however my comment was discussing the delivery of power. The gauge of wire is the limiting factor. The more amps, the larger the gauge of wire is necessary to allow those amps to pass through. This is the problem with low voltage products.

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Be wary of advice coming from those who will not show you the fruits of their success!

Current Tank Info: building: 250g AGE Euro tank, Abyzz A200, Vertex Supra-G filtration, Ecotech Radion Pro LEDs, ...
gcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2015, 08:54 AM   #74
jedimasterben
LED world domination!

Quote:
You are correct, however my comment was discussing the delivery of power. The gauge of wire is the limiting factor. The more amps, the larger the gauge of wire is necessary to allow those amps to pass through. This is the problem with low voltage products.
Wire gauge comes right back to wattage, not amperage alone. I can push 5A through a 24AWG wire without any long-term issues if the voltage is low and in turn keeping the wattage low, preventing the wire from heating too much.

Most of the DC pumps I've seen are using 20AWG going to the motor. I've got laptops that consume twice as much power using the same (or thinner) gauge coming from their DC supplies. All about heat management.

Unread 07/26/2015, 09:23 AM   #75
andresht
Registered Member

Do you know the Joule effect o law....?????

for me the problem with these DC pumps has always been dissipation (desing). Usually greater dissipation means more cost and size ..... only compare the size (and cost) of the Royal Exclusiv controls with the other brands.

andresht is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vectra, vectra pump